The mkiv Supra Owners Club

When the climate control goes on I am loosing power steering

greeksuprakent

Your lights of knowledge please :Pling:

OK here it goes:

I got the car and the A/C was totally empty .... took it to quick fit and charged and regassed with... all perfect til now. As soon as I drove off there was a problem...

when I switched on the climate control I have lost the power steering totally... I switch off the climate control and the power steering works fine no problem. (except if I lock it all the way to the right or all the way to the left ... and it shows low engine oil level on the dash ...)

I spoke to a friend electrician and he said that it sound like a bad earth ...

I had a look in my engine today ... where will I find the earth .. gave it a good look a couple of times but no luck ... is there a chance I can check if it is an earth problem? any suggestions?

Cheers

Vasilis.

This is now solved it was the crankshaft pulley dumper!

symptoms :

- power steering going off / low engine oil light comes on

- AC works for 10 secs and then the AC light starts flashing

- Alternator light comes on the dashboard

- water in the coolant expansion tank boiling and popping off the tap / overhearing

all these were caused from the crank shaft pulley dumper.

solution :

replace it ASAP

or wait like me ... until the dumper falls apart (see the attached picture) lol

IMG_2526i.jpg

Edited by greeksuprakent
Solved (see edit history)

re the aircon.............with the engine NOT running reach down next to/past the battery to the aircon pulley (below the top right power steering pulley). It has a inner part where the belt doesn't run/touch that you should be able to grab and turn.......not easily but with a firm grip you should be able to turn the centre piece....

There is a chance the aircon pump is seized.......

I will try that Scooter thank you.

But the problem is that the Air Con works .. brings cold air :-S if it was seized it would not work at all I suppose this would be the right thing to think.

Now the latest update ... a friend of mind suggested it might be the poly V belt not being tight enough... so when the power steerings loads up, when the A/C comes on and the alternator being connected on the same belt as well... if the belt is not tight enough ... it would make all these symptoms he reccon.

Your thoughts?

I would guess that the crank damper is coming apart and the extra load of driving the sir con pump is causing the rubber bonded outer drive ring to slip on the inner section. Search on crank damper and there will be threads on how to put a paint marker on the pulley to check this out. It's also possible a worn belt or worn / damaged belt tensioner will cause this.

Yeap that is correct ... the crank pulley for the external poly V belt ... is shot (well almost), I did the tipp ex test and it is out by 90 degrees almost.

Does anyone know where to find a cheap new one???

Its your fanbelt tensioner shot, guarentee it. About £133 + VAT for a new tensioner.

I'm guessing you skipped through the thread then Paul;)

LOL :) lovely support .. (kidding)

The door switch ... I dont know if it can be classified as a problem to be honest ...

this is now fixed and not coming on again (cost = £0)

The A/C regassing and refilling ... it was something that had to be done, so I dont take it as a problem..

The only costly problem is the crank shaft pulley which I managed to source as a light used second hand one from the forum.

It should cost me about £200 fitted ...

I am still in the money I have knocked off from the guy I bought the car so still not in a loss lol :)

Fingers crossed ... eitherwise the car runs fine ...

but knowing me I will keep coming to finding new things always did with all my cars.

I like them to be in perfection cannot have them knowing there something not working quite right somewhere on them.

LOL :) lovely support .. (kidding)

I wish you the sincerest best of luck with your car. If all that exists are the faults you are dealing with currently and you are up on the money, you have done well. Unfortunately there are bound to be some real dogs out there that will catch out the prospective owners.