The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heaters not getting warm.....

Evil_Nuts

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best check the heads not warped then before you slap a new h/g on it.

Why do you think headgasket when you've got no overheating problems, sniff test negative, no oil in the coolant but just a cool heater ?

Have you run the car up with the rad cap off yet ?

Does your expansion tank have any coolant in it

Have you tried running the engine with the rad cap off to release any air in the system as their known to suffer from air locks.

Put the heater on full hot and run the engine up to temp with the rad cap off, raise the revs to around 2000 rpm which will help force out any air, drop the revs to tickover top up with coolant and check heater.

Yeah, last night dude, still no result...borrowed a vac drainer so will try that too

Best check the heads not warped then before you slap a new h/g on it.

Why do you think headgasket when you've got no overheating problems, sniff test negative, no oil in the coolant but just a cool heater ?

Have you run the car up with the rad cap off yet ?

I have 2 master techs here, 65 years expieriance between them who both thing its starting to go....and i'd rather do it now before i cook something...i'm going to use the vac tester to try and bleed it at lunch and I'll report back laters dudes....thanks for all your input

I have 2 master techs here, 65 years expieriance between them who both thing its starting to go....and i'd rather do it now before i cook something...i'm going to use the vac tester to try and bleed it at lunch and I'll report back laters dudes....thanks for all your input

Your choice, but I'll be VERY suprised....(65 years or not)

Have you checked all the flaps are working on the heater controls ?

I really can't see it being the head gasket as you've done the checks and found nothing wrong, i also doubt its a stuck thermostat as you'd more than likely get overheating problems.

Has the heater ever worked as it should since you've had the car ?

This may sound daft but are the heater matrix in and out pipes on the right way round ? mine were put on backwards once and the result is a luke warm heater.

If the head gasket was as your techies put it starting to go ? you'd be introducing exhaust gas into the water system to cause an airlock in the heater but you say theres no airlock. A sniff test would also show this up.

Even if it was you should be able to get hot air out the heater

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

What makes the techies say that it's caused by actual/imminent HGF?

Even if it was you should be able to get hot air out the heater

My thoughts too. I don't mean to teach you stuff you already know but the head gasket keeps the oil and the coolant apart in the engine, and prevents either of them from escaping where the cylinder head meets the block.

The heater will get hot if 1) the car can pump hot liquid around the heater matrix and 2) the heater controls are in working order.

Even if the head gasket fails, neither of these conditions will be broken unless the engine's dumped a significant amount of coolant or the coolant has emulsified with the oil into a viscous mayonnaise that can't be pumped.

I've had an airlock in the system, and they can be a real pain to get out. Unlikely to be this unless you've been working on the cooling system though (and hence have had to drain and refill it).

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Right chaps......bleed the system......with a vac tool kindly supplied, There is defo no ait in the system...honest.....i know the matrix is ok as both pipes are hot and i can get heat if i rev the engine, and if i attempt to bleed the system i can get the heaters hot but then they go cold again.....the flaps are fine. I took number 6 spark plug out and found scorched brown electrode tip....ie dried coolant on it...all the other 5 are fine...also no when i kick her up she misfires for a few seconds...one of my techs says they were prone the go at the back and hopefully I've caught it right at the start.

I'm not saying anybody is wrong and I honestly do appreciate all the help from eveyone...I value all the help you guys have given me......the good thing is its only costing me parts and I'm using the workshop on sunday to do it.....

Thanks everyone

Chris

Chris, let us know how you get on. The solution to your problem (whatever the solution turns out to be) might help someone else one day. :)

AFAIK a scorched brown tip doesn't usually mean coolant in the cylinder.

Will do..........I'm still intrigued myself, I really really didn't want it to be the headgasket......but we live and learn huh?

Good luck mate and hope you find the fix, your experts do know its mkIV dont they as mkIV head gaskets aren't prone to failing unlike the mkIII:D

Yeah, Daves who's looked at it with me is in the grand final of Tech of the year....he came top in the northern section by over 7% ...

And I have 15 years of expeiriance too......so fingers crossed

Compression test came back a-ok......will do a sniffer test again on saturday before i rip her to bits....

If the other sniff test is negative then i really would look at everything else that it could possibly be again.

Okay, to make it interesting :)

If it is the head gasket, I'll pay for a year's membership to the forum for you :) If it isn't I want £10 donated to the RSPCA, fair ;) (Oh and I want decent proof of the HG :))

I like your style Gav! Sounds fair to me. What do you say Chris?