The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ghetto crank pulley removal help

w41k3r

why is this so hard to remove? Age?

There has been a lot of people over the years struggle with this, myself included, it is very tight. But it all boils down to having the right tool to hold the pulley while the bolt is cracked with lots of leverage.

I just looked at the Sealy site and there is nothing that comes close to being man enough to hold the pulley in place for £30. They do a tool designed for a jag that may well be ok if the hole spacing is the same as the Supra pulley, but that's £140.

it was a universal pulley lock up tool it was a long shot but was as described on here like a y shape so went with it but what a load of cr*p

and matt h im not sure it must just be age weve tried allsorts the garage will try gunning it of and if not it will be heated up as a last resort

OK I guess you are talking about this one:

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=14008

It is no-where near strong enough. One of the two garages I took mine to used a massive air gun they used for wheel nuts on 40 ton trucks and it didnt shift it because the pulley wasnt locked.

Please dont let them apply heat unless you are going to get them to replace the front oil seal at the same time and are happy to buy a new pulley. After heat has been applied to the get the bolt out, the chances are that you will find the pulley will start to seperate, maybe not right away, but there is a very good chance it will shorten the life left on the pulley once it has been heated.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item.php/site/froogle/sn/VS783

was this item in the link not strong enough as it just bent on a light pull on the big extension

OK, no that wouldnt be strong enough, but its the same principle as the the one I made, Y format and using the holes in the pulley.

Has the place you have taken it to got experiance with Supras? If so they will know what to do I am sure.

lol he used to own a gto and i trust him as he lends us his tools ramps ect and is my bros close friend plus my bros working on it to but i so hate this pulley lol yeah as i found out it just isnt strong enough ill see how they get on down there

ill update when i hear back from them

Thats very pretty ,May I ask where you acquired that.

I dun made it, out of "salvaged" steel from various skips. I borrowed Markssupra's tool many moons ago and measured it up. Its been some 2 years in the making, on and (very) off.

I was trying to make it for free, but the steel disc ending up costing me £40 to get turned out from a much bigger chunk. Plus £15 for the shotgun case and about £18 for the foam.

There's a factory near me that makes drilling equipment, and they leave all sorts of scrap in the yard. I "liberated" one tube and got a guy to cut a slice off but it just blunted his saw. I tried it on my grinding wheels and it just wore the stone in about 2 secs with no damage to the metal itself. God knows what kind of steel it was, probably Adamantium.

Is your car an auto or manual, i just changed my crankpulley in 15 mins, if its an auto there is a rubber cover you remove on the bellhouseing/autobox where you can insert a locking bar then just undo the crank pulley bolt, simplez:)

Its also a standard thread so undo it counter clockwise

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Update,

well my bro and adam at the garage worked on my car today, they got the pulley of they said it was stupid tight took them a good hour to undo the bolt and get the pulley off my new ones on and will be ready tomoz morn for pick up

Thanks for the input and help fellows

• 1 year later...
Guest BenZagorski
Is your car an auto or manual, i just changed my crankpulley in 15 mins, if its an auto there is a rubber cover you remove on the bellhouseing/autobox where you can insert a locking bar then just undo the crank pulley bolt, simplez:)

Its also a standard thread so undo it counter clockwise

Interesting....Need to change my pulley soon. Where is this bellhousing/autobox you speak of?

Guest BenZagorski
I'd leave it to the professionals if I was you.;)

Why soon, why not now?

How hard can it be huh? I know lots of mechanics and they are right idiots :D - Actually I'm just weighing up whether to do it myself or get a mechanic to do it but it looks pretty simple I'm just not used to the terminology used in cars. If the post had read "The bit that's bolted to the engine that looks a bit like a bell" I'd have known what he mean't.

I have the full service manuals anyway just need to dig them out from the dreaded cupboard under the stairs....who knows what lurks within ?!?!

Soon because I'm sourcing brand new original Toyota parts which I now have on the way.

Trust me im w41k3r's lil bro (Rob) dont bother!! send it to a garage if your planning on getting it changed, it took us like an hour we had a pair of stilsons jammed into the floor and a 4 ft breaker bar and 3 of us hanging on the breaker bar, i mean this bolt was tight!!, if your trying on your own il be surprised if you can do this on the drive, i tried 'ghetto' ways to loosen the bolt before it went to the garage......so yeh go to a garage, source the part yourself though and just ask a decent garage to fit it, oooh and lots of copper slip :)

Guest BenZagorski
Trust me im w41k3r's lil bro (Rob) dont bother!! send it to a garage if your planning on getting it changed, it took us like an hour we had a pair of stilsons jammed into the floor and a 4 ft breaker bar and 3 of us hanging on the breaker bar, i mean this bolt was tight!!, if your trying on your own il be surprised if you can do this on the drive, i tried 'ghetto' ways to loosen the bolt before it went to the garage......so yeh go to a garage, source the part yourself though and just ask a decent garage to fit it, oooh and lots of copper slip :)

Garage it is :) (in fairness it always was going to be) Can't imagine my 4,000,000 piece Halfords socket set will be up to the job.

Garage it is :) (in fairness it always was going to be) Can't imagine my 4,000,000 piece Halfords socket set will be up to the job.

A wise move, you need a big torque wrench to re tighten the cp bolt, 330 Nm or 243 ft lbs of torque