Gutted to see a supra like that

evinX

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It wasnt recorded, its not even in this country which is why he went through with the build becuase getting a supra there will cost like £15-20k, so this was a possible way to get the dream car.

That makes sense. Wouldn't be allowed in this county as it's bent to buggery.

I'm suprised that was allowed to be repaired considering the chassis damage. Would have thought the lack of nearside leg and the mangle of the offside would have meant it couldn't be put back on the road.

Haha back there, most damaged cars get repaired, they dont do thinks like they do here...dent = write of:D thats what its like when things arnt widely available, but i can garuntee this thing is solid i saw all the progress work.

It wasnt recorded, its not even in this country which is why he went through with the build becuase getting a supra there will cost like £15-20k, so this was a possible way to get the dream car.

Im glad its not in this country as that should have been crushed.

Dream car ? if you say so

Im glad its not in this country as that should have been crushed.

Dream car ? if you say so

See what i mean when i say, widely available, thats on a tiny island where they dont live like us, they make use of everything they have. When it comes to cars in this country, alot can be repaired but its just cheaper to bin them...money talks eh.

See what i mean when i say, widely available, thats on a tiny island where they dont live like us, they make use of everything they have. When it comes to cars in this country, alot can be repaired but its just cheaper to bin them...money talks eh.

I can understand that, but at the same time that tiny island must have had some real expertise to make that straight again.

You didnt see how it was repaired, mind boggling stuff.

I meant before work Evin. It wasn't straight, which would mean it couldn't be repaired in this county :)

Personally, I would rather not have a cut and shut/welded chassis or previously trashed panels, but a car in good condition.

The work is impressive, and so long as a car is safe, then it's fine. I'd rather rebuild an engine than a frame though.

You didnt see how it was repaired, mind boggling stuff.

Car isnt as bad as it looks, you just get lazy people saying it cant be done properly etc...becuase they cant be bothered to

Some people's cars on this very site (mentioning no names) have been repaired from Cat C if I am not mistaken :sly:

I can understand that, but at the same time that tiny island must have had some real expertise to make that straight again.

I meant before work Evin. It wasn't straight, which would mean it couldn't be repaired in this county :)

Yep some real clever people back there.

I dont get why a bent car cant be fixed in this country, would benifit recycling so much, and its not dangerous if done properly...and its not hard either once you got someone with a brain and the right tools, which isnt hard to come by either!

Yep some real clever people back there.

I dont get why a bent car cant be fixed in this country, would benifit recycling so much, and its not dangerous if done properly...and its not hard either once you got someone with a brain and the right tools, which isnt hard to come by either!

Generally, something that's bent doesn't go back to its original shape easily. This can be true with metals even though they have give. Once they have gone past their elastic limit, they won't easily go back. The way that some metals are formed, means that their strength is impeded once mis-shaped, which is one of the reasons why cars in this country don't get touched when damage as shown in the pic of yours is sustained to a car monoframe / chassis.

Replacing damaged panels with new ones is fine, but when you get to messing with stuff that's badly bent it could be a problem :)

The damage to one of the legs on my old supra was minor in comparrison to that pic, but it wasn't repairable.

Like you say though, that's in this country. Where needs must and all :)

Do you have a build thread or more pics Evin?

Edited by Matt H (see edit history)

Generally, something that's bent doesn't go back to its original shape easily. This can be true with metals even though they have give. Once they have gone past their elastic limit, they won't easily go back. The way that some metals are formed, means that their strength is impeded once mis-shaped, which is one of the reasons why cars in this country don't get touched when damage as shown in the pic of yours is sustained to a car monoframe / chassis.

Replacing damaged panels with new ones is fine, but when you get to messing with stuff that's badly bent it could be a problem :)

Yea but when you get that shape back i needs to be opened up and reinforced inside etc etc it can be done so eaily:( so many smashed supras ive seen over the years could easily go back on the road but the shells end up getting crushed, dont care about other cars, i just want to save the supes:D

Their not repaired because even though as far as your concerned its straight again and sits on the jig correctly and the panels all fit the structural integrity of the car has changed and if involved in another crash of similar magnitude the occupants will more than likely die.

This why anything like the car you posted if done legally in this country would have been crushed.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Their not repaired because even though as far as your concerned its straight again and sits on the jig correctly and the panels all fit the structural integrity of the car has changed and if involved in another crash of similar magnitude the occupants will more than likely die.

I

Fair enough, cant really arguee the point when people are being looked out for.

And before this question comes up becuase i know it will, my supra is a straight chassis:D