The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Goodyear poor life

Piran

I've got F1's all round, drive 70 miles a day on great country lanes with very little traffic (nothing I can't overtake, anyway), in a fairly spirited fashion. Rear tyres are about 6 months old and fine. Something is wrong, ask the fitting garage for their opinion and get Goodyear involved as well.

What kind of mpg do you get? This will help decide if you're a leadfooted spead freak and you just don't realise it or not!

What kind of mpg do you get? This will help decide if you're a leadfooted spead freak and you just don't realise it or not!

I'm getting between 22 and 25 mpg (approx)

and I'm still on the front tyres I had on when I bought the car which still have plenty of tread - it's only the rears and I've now been trough 2 sets 1 pair of Kumho that lasted about 4000 miles and a set of Goodyears that have lasted 3000 miles.

Originally posted by Piran

I'm getting between 22 and 25 mpg (approx)

and I'm still on the front tyres I had on when I bought the car which still have plenty of tread - it's only the rears and I've now been trough 2 sets 1 pair of Kumho that lasted about 4000 miles and a set of Goodyears that have lasted 3000 miles.

You've not got bags of sandbags & concrete in your boot have you? ;)

Gaz.

I agree that tyre pressures are unlikely to be the cause if wear is even. Contributing factors could be...

Harder suspension will wear tyres more quickly - be it higher spring rates, higher preload, or higher compression damping (although I've no idea which of these are adjustable on a Supra).

Rubbing between the tyre and wheel arch if suspension is lowered.

A bad batch of tyres, or tyre components, be it carcass, rubber, or whatever.

Personally, I think the truth is that you're just giving it the berries! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
:eek:

About 6-9k miles if you drive normally I would say?

Gaz.

My Toyo T1-R gave me 22K miles on the rears and 25-26K miles on the fronts.

I now have Eagles since Sept 2006 and the fronts are still like new and the rears are wearing nicely and have a lot of life left.

I do about 1000 miles a month.

I didn't realise how old this thread was until this 3rd page! I was going to add that my rears needed changing when I bought the car in May last year, and I'd done over 4,000 miles since then on nasty in-town roads etc. I only put new F1s on saturday. Fabulous improvement in handling, but they lasted fine really.

I've been through 12 tyres (all f1's) and never run any smooth due to sidewall nails..... envy performance are making a fortune off my tyre habits... maybe they're following me around with a bag of nails :)

Lol... its a bit of hike for us to do that just to get a new tyre order... we call in a local ;) :D

Just kidding!

Gaz.