The mkiv Supra Owners Club

installing a turbo on a NA supra (non turbo)...

abtin90

Don;t go for it, it's not worth it anymore. Just buy a 2JZGTE block and swap it.

Also, forget those cheap na-t kits, they are rubish. A proper kit is expensive (boostlogic) and will require besides the kit more parts = more €€€

Check out my profile garage to see how much more is involved :)

im waiting for the whiffbitz kit to come out, bit pricey but its going to be well worth it and i cant see paul putting a crap kit together... BW turbo being used so its going to be sweet

I cant see the BW turbo being a good choice tbh, they are huge and i think he will have trouble getting it to fit nicely under the intake, i wont be supprised if he changes his mind on that one.

Something like a Garrett 3071 will be a far better option imo.

I cant see the BW turbo being a good choice tbh, they are huge and i think he will have trouble getting it to fit nicely under the intake, i wont be supprised if he changes his mind on that one.

Something like a Garrett 3071 will be a far better option imo.

yeah i guess your prob right mate they are massive them BW turbos, i think he will put a nice kit together.

i dont get why people say dont go na-t, buy a tt block>

the issues with going na-t are not with the engine. the engine is fine and strong. whay spend 2k+ on an engine when you allready have one thats a great base for power.

the issue in buying an na and turboing it is the other bits. e.g.

clutch: the stock na clutches cant handle much more than stock na power, you can get upgrades but they are hard to find and good ones are expensive. the getrag clutch has a much larger contact pach so will allways be better.

gearbox: the na 5 speed (w58) is a nice smooth box and verry nice to drive, but anything over 450 bhp and hard drivind and it will not last verry long. a 6 speed swap can be done or a r154 5 speed but both ways again are verry costly.

diff: the na comes with an open diff that spins away power on the inside wheel and can have adverse handling effects , a tt comes with a torsen , stronger and allround better for big power.

this is why its better to sell and buy a tt.

there are some other extras such as abs and traction controll but thats driver specific if you see them as a gain or not.

What about the other parts.

Fuel injectors

Clutch

ECU

Brakes if not UK spec

Fuel dampner line

Spark plugs

etc etc.

:yeahthat:

A lot of these kits don't come 'complete'. Also, by the time youve paid for labour on top, you wont get much change out of £4 K. The most you'd get with an NA-T with a typical turbo 'kit' is around 350 bhp. You really would be better off getting rid of the NA and buying a TT, youd then start with around 320 bhp. As most on here have power upgrades you could buy one with around 400 bhp without breaking the bank.

Its all covered on here:

http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/

Edited by turbonut
typo....doh (see edit history)