jevansio

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers guys, Hodge is keeping me right :D

Last night I was just so mad at a lot of things, mad I had taken the car off the road when it was running fine, mad I had rushed the job, mad I had busted a perfectly good head.

Here are pics of the damage to the journal, the buckets were not going in either. I know it's not "the done thing" but I got some wet & dry, filled as much of the holes as I could with rags, & gentle went round where the buckets ran to make them a perfect fit. They're going in like the others now, & i've cleaned as much of the dirt away as possible.

attachment.php?attachmentid=110928&stc=1&d=1274961738

attachment.php?attachmentid=110929&stc=1&d=1274961738

To complete the spring job I've made a tool myself to replace the springs, done it on the next valve with no issues whatsoever, no damage to the jounrals so I'm going to crack on

IMG_5352.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

TBH it looked a lot worse last night :D and this is after I have tidied it up a bit :)

Anyway I took the day off work today to sort this out :D

I made this tool to help with fitting the springs with causing any more damage to the rest of the head. It's basically 2 old caps with a bar between, on that slides a unit with 2 bolts. I just started the cap bolts off, adjusted the other 2 bolts to meet the retainer, then tightened the cap bolts uo the rest of the way to drop spring.

attachment.php?attachmentid=110945&stc=1&d=1274986306

attachment.php?attachmentid=110946&stc=1&d=1274986306

attachment.php?attachmentid=110947&stc=1&d=1274986306

Worked like a charm everyttime. Got cylinders 1, 2 & 3 done with the upgraded springs & retainers.

Started to rush again at one point and lost a lock down into the depths of the engine :D, the oil return pipe between each cylinder. John told me to get a long reach magnet & pray when I stuck it in it came out, God must have been ready to give me a break as on the 2nd time feeling around I got it, phew

IMG_5354.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5356.jpg

LOVE the tool :)

Might have to make me one of those :)

:D, the snap-on tool was such a pain to use, whacking it with a mallet fills you with dread every time you use it, this on the other hand is so relaxing :)

I have some spare caps if you need em Gav

panic over then jay. I expect you showing up Sunday morning in the supra by the way. That tool is awesome. Very nice bit of kit. I want 1.

TBH it looked a lot worse last night :D and this is after I have tidied it up a bit :)

I made this tool to help with fitting the springs with causing any more damage to the rest of the head. It's basically 2 old caps with a bar between, on that slides a unit with 2 bolts. I just started the cap bolts off, adjusted the other 2 bolts to meet the retainer, then tightened the cap bolts uo the rest of the way to drop spring.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=110945&stc=1&d=1274986306

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=110946&stc=1&d=1274986306

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=110947&stc=1&d=1274986306

Worked like a charm everyttime. Got cylinders 1, 2 & 3 done with the upgraded springs & retainers.

Started to rush again at one point and lost a lock down into the depths of the engine :D, the oil return pipe between each cylinder. John told me to get a long reach magnet & pray when I stuck it in it came out, God must have been ready to give me a break as on the 2nd time feeling around I got it, phew

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=110945&stc=1&d=1274986306

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=110946&stc=1&d=1274986306

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=110947&stc=1&d=1274986306

Loving that tool:) I have the snap on tool and Its a bit scary I have to admit:D

Will take you up on that actually... :)

No probs, pm me your addy & I'll get a couple posted off to ya

Great job Jay good to see your back on track now just keep calm:)

Lol, yeah cheers mate, maybe I should have a swift vodka before doing any work to take the edge off :D

Well I just finished the last valve, I take my hat off to Tony for completing that job with the snap-on tool, no way could I have used that. Just gotta put them cams back in & reassemble the covers & I should be ready to fire up tomorrow :)

• 1 month later...
Can I borrow that tool you made???

I have the snap on one and have been putting this off for longer and longer as I'm somewhat concerned about it but you seem to have created the answer!!!

Sure, send me your addy & I will send it down

What caps do you mean dude??????

The cam caps (if that's what they're called :D)