The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best single turbo for spool/power compromise

Jamesy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case you are limited to open .ar turbos, 88/75 is out for you and any other divided turbo.

The BW are available with single scroll housings which is another reason I was looking into them as I run a cast manifold ;)

83/75

T4 Twinscroll 1.00 A/R

T4 Twinscroll .91 A/R

T4 Singlescroll .88 A/R

88/75

T4 Singlescroll .88 A/R

T4 Twinscroll .91 A/R

T4 Twinscroll 1.00 A/R

91/79

T4 Twinscroll .91 A/R

T4 Singlescroll .88 A/R

100/95

T4 Twinscroll 1.25 A/R

T4 Twinscroll 1.10 A/R

Edited by Wez (see edit history)

What does anyone reckon to the Sound Performance Quick Spool Valve?For use with a twin scroll turbo but with an open manifold.If their figures are to be believed;its some piece of kit.I take it this is for larger turbos only?

Have you considered compound forced induction? An Eaton M90 would give you a bar at 2200rpm and spool up your big turbo nice and early. You need to size the exhaust housing on the turbo right though to make it work (bigger the better by all accounts).

I've recently done a M90 on a 1MZ-FE (3.0 V6) in an MR2 and that made 0.6 bar by 1800 rpm ;)

Lyndon.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

Going off topic here a little i still think a correctly spec'd set of twins will out spool and power a ST setup, just needs somebody to get it right.

Have to wait 2 weeks for some new piston rings, then I'll be putting mine back together with a few additional mods to capture as much exhaust energy as possible and get it to spool as early as I can.

At close to 2 bar and well over 9000 RPM I'm hoping that it'll finally be making some decent power! :)

Back on topic...

Have to wait 2 weeks for some new piston rings, then I'll be putting mine back together with a few additional mods to capture as much exhaust energy as possible and get it to spool as early as I can.

At close to 2 bar and well over 9000 RPM I'm hoping that it'll finally be making some decent power! :)

Back on topic...

I look forward to that Tony, Over 9000rpm will be insane:cool:

Just spoke to Andy @ AET and he advised the best way to go about upgrading the cams is just to get the inlet cams, not the exhaust ones, apparently! :)

I would just do the pair mate, cant go wrong with a pair of 264's or similar.

Just spoke to Andy @ AET and he advised the best way to go about upgrading the cams is just to get the inlet cams, not the exhaust ones, apparently! :)

That's how I run at the mo, it certainly is a quick spooling setup, it is such a drivable car, but I have come to the conclusion I'm losing top end power so am swapping my stock exhaust cam now for a HKS 272.

That's how I run at the mo, it certainly is a quick spooling setup, it is such a drivable car, but I have come to the conclusion I'm losing top end power so am swapping my stock exhaust cam now for a HKS 272.

True mate, thats exactly where the compromise comes in between early spool and top end squeeze i guess! Altho your turbo seems to give the best of both worlds!

Gaz, let us know how u find the BW 88/75 once you've collected it later. Be good to know how it drives ;)

Boost - The highest it will go, if it will do 2bar it will be 2bar.

Power - I would like to see 700bhp by around 1.7bar - 1.8bar.

Time will tell :)

Sounds good mate, and this is on the BW 88/75 is it?

Hoping Ryan can crank the boost up on mine when it comes to the mapping but as Jamie said will prob need to change the cams to see up to 700hp even with the slightly larger 91/79 version.

Sounds good mate, and this is on the BW 88/75 is it?

Hoping Ryan can crank the boost up on mine when it comes to the mapping but as Jamie said will prob need to change the cams to see up to 700hp even with the slightly larger 91/79 version.

Yep, on the BW 88/75 :)

Nice. I will hae to check out your garage for your supoorting mods.

Its good to know these big BW turbos are capable of circa 700bhp.

I will get all mine built, stick it on the rollers with Ryan and see how it does. However i can see the next mod being cams!! :cool: