The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supraturbochris working away on my car (pics)

pistonbroke

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dan your pipes look good [COOL][/COOL]

Nice one mate, I contacted CRturbos this morning, then at 4:30pm, a courier that specifically works with them picked them up. I passed him the box and he said "F me what the hell is this from?". He said he's not used to boxes weighing this much as evos/scoobys and the like only have a dinky single. Had a little chat about the supe, and he said they'll call me tomorrow afternoon with the verdict on their condition, and he'll be delivering them back to me next week. So far, hugely impressed with the service. Both from Chris and CRturbos :D

Chris, any chance of a sneaky pic of the pipes? or do I have to come up there and have a gander myself? :D

Got a call from CRturbos. They said the turbos are in overall good condition, though they have clearly passed a little oil on the exhaust side (source of my random smoke puffing).

The overhaul however is going to cost a little more to upgrade the turbos than first thought.

Chris, give me a ring when you see this and I'll explain.

That's Chris for you! Done the same for me too! :D

I don't trust a lot of people with my Supe but I am more than happy to leave it with Chris.

I second that, Chris has so far lowered my car, put a HKS sqq box on, nearly fully bpu'd it finishing touches tonight and he has done an absolutely fab job. Got plenty more work for him lined up on my sup ;) just waiting for him to give it a clean :p

• 2 weeks later...

Been round to see the old girl today, Chris has almost finished working his magic, and is confident I'll have her back tomorrow :clap:

Took some pics to make this thread remotely interesting for the rest of you..... and I know how you like pics :D

Also took a pic of Chris's new grooved front brake discs :cool:

Well, picked the beast up from Chris this afternoon.

First impression when I round the corner into his driveway is that my car is absolutely immaculate, Chris had given her a good going over, cleaned the interior up, and even put a blue magic tree in there. Best was yet to come though, pop the hood, and the heart is exposed, all her ventricles are polished up a treat with brand new blue vac pipe throughout. The inner wings and front end have all been cleaned up, transforming it from 15 years of road grime into a true show and shine contestant.

The best was yet to come though, fire up the engine and that distinctive 2jz tone echos around masking all other background noise for a substantial radius. We decide to test the new tubbies and go for a little hoon. Once warmed up, I give it some stick, 1 bar is seen on the gauge with the distinctive second turbo surge at around the 4k mark, so all seems good. I pull over and decide to up the controller for my 1.2 bar setting :eyebrows: . We pull out again and I give it some stick again, yet we still only see 1 bar. I say to Chris straight away that the solenoid hoses are probably the wrong way around, so we pull over again and Chris swaps the hoses over. Once Chris fights with two hoses between 2 red hot turbos, he finally gets them on. We pull out again and wait for the opportune moment........I plant it in second and 1.48 flashes up on the gauge :blink:........"best turn that down again me thinks" :D

End result, not one hint of smoke, stronger turbos, clean car/engine/interior........its soooo good to be back in the supra again.

I can't thank Chris enough, he went above and beyond the call IMO, and I thoroughly recommend his services. He's a true enthusiast that takes an immeasurable amount of pride in his work.

Thanks again Chris, you're a legend. :thumbs:

Looks great

Out of interest How much did the refurb come to...if you don't mind me asking. and was it just to refurb them into basically uk oems? steel turbines rather than ceramic but the slower spool/more boost etc?

Thanks

Rob

Looks great

Out of interest How much did the refurb come to...if you don't mind me asking. and was it just to refurb them into basically uk oems? steel turbines rather than ceramic but the slower spool/more boost etc?

Thanks

Rob

The refurb with uprated internals came to £839. What I suggest you do is get a qritten quote from them via email or post and nail them to a price. They messed me around a bit and the end price rose substantially. Can't knock their work though, they came back looking like brand new turbos with new actuators attached.

As for the UK equivalent, no, they're not the same as UK's. I think UK's have a larger wastgate to bleed excess boost, whereas the J'specs don't. UK's also have slightly smaller compressors to compensate for the steel internals. My 'hybrids' have steel throughout with new bearings and seals along with a load of other gubbins I don't understand. As for more lag with steel internals, can't say I've noticed any difference. Running the car at 1.2 like my ceramic Jspecs, the car feels exactly the same. Only discernable difference that I can hear is that the turbo chatter seems to last longer when coming off boost. Bear with my poor explanation, it used to go "vroo chu chu chu". Now it goes "vro chu chu chu chu chu chu" :D

The refurb with uprated internals came to £839. What I suggest you do is get a qritten quote from them via email or post and nail them to a price. They messed me around a bit and the end price rose substantially. Can't knock their work though, they came back looking like brand new turbos with new actuators attached.

As for the UK equivalent, no, they're not the same as UK's. I think UK's have a larger wastgate to bleed excess boost, whereas the J'specs don't. UK's also have slightly smaller compressors to compensate for the steel internals. My 'hybrids' have steel throughout with new bearings and seals along with a load of other gubbins I don't understand. As for more lag with steel internals, can't say I've noticed any difference. Running the car at 1.2 like my ceramic Jspecs, the car feels exactly the same. Only discernable difference that I can hear is that the turbo chatter seems to last longer when coming off boost. Bear with my poor explanation, it used to go "vroo chu chu chu". Now it goes "vro chu chu chu chu chu chu" :D

aaah excellent cheers m8. looks promising compared to a s/h set of jspecs....may consider the same route if mine get any worse.

mine is more of a "vro chu chu..chu.....chu.........chu"

glad this all worked out. looks the danglies :)

• 2 weeks later...