The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MORE POWER (but not too much!)

hackin_n_bashin

I planned a single build and the parts alone added up to 7k.

That was for a GT35r kit with tubular manifold, solaris ECU mapped and fitted by Ryan, injector upgrade, clutch upgrade and all the bits of the engine I wanted changed at the same time. The "Stuff" I mention is purely down to choice. I chose to have my front and rear crank seals changed as I want them to be perfect from the get go. If you want 600hp on the cheap you could probably do it for around 4k. I wouldn't bet on it lasting very long though.

I'm not looking for 600, although it would be nice!:)

I won't be looking to get any more once the work has been carried out. just trying to work out how best to squeeze the 100(ish) more i want for the money i want to spend

"bit slow replying, needed a poo"

Edited by hackin_n_bashin
toilet break (see edit history)

500hp or 600hp they are both going to cost you the same, very basically the only difference is in the size of the turbo used.

Not on an auto surely Nic? 500bhp is do-able on the stock autobox (as shown by Lui), 600bhp is boostlogic territory (extra £3k+?).

Not on an auto surely Nic? 500bhp is do-able on the stock autobox (as shown by Lui), 600bhp is boostlogic territory (extra £3k+?).

Wow, I didn't realise the boostlogic's were so pricey.

500hp is pushing it though, is Lui not just biding his time?

Had a play in a 400bhp ultima, and a 550 one, the difference was very noticeable!

(That's why I'm aiming for 600 in mine!)

forgot to mention, it's an ultima i'm building as a second car, and the aim for that is 600hp, 620ftlbs torque and sub 1000kgs all all up weight. this is the year of the supra, so the effort is going into getting what i want from the sup. guess i'll be finding another couple of £K somewhere, guess the penis extension will wait till next year.;)

I'm still confused as to what you're trying to do here and what you are building this from!

- You have an NA currently?

- It has the NA A340 auto box?

- It has the NA prop, diff and driveshafts?

- You want to get to 500bhp, but have so far only bought a TT engine?

- You have £6k available after the TT engine arrives?

Did I miss anything above?

Have an NA auto aerotop.

TT auto box, prop, dif and drive shafts accommodated for, as is fitting, leaving me around £800 for any refurbs the engine needs, belts, seals, filters and gaskets.

then the £6k for mods to the engine, fuelling and ignition.

car will be used for the odd track day, and for weekend use when i'm not away working 86 hours a week

Edited by hackin_n_bashin (see edit history)

If those are genuine TT auto driveline parts and not NA then you are border line able to get it singled with the £6k, depend on how resourceful you are and are good at DIY :)

An off the shelf turbo kit (no point going for bigger than T61 with the stock auto box), will set you back about £3.5-4k if buying new. Then needs an ECU, FP, injectors, uprated TC (ideally), autobox cooler(s) an IC and mapping. It'll be a close thing, but if you are careful and can do some DIY it should be possible.

If you do go this route it'd be a good idea to keep a couple of grand spare in case of issues during the conversion.

I DIY for a living (basically scrapheap challenge!!) have most machinery available to make parts if needed.

All genuine tt bits.

Was thinking of the solaris ecu (or whatever its called now) along with the tt ecu for gearbox control, as per Ryan's suggestion.

Hadn't thought of the autobox cooler, will 600cc injectors be enough? uprated fuel rail?

not interested in TC (as long as you mean traction control!)

Thanks for the positivity, was thinking i was a lost cause, humbled to the bumped threads when people need a laugh

meet you all here in a couple of years with my clown hat

I DIY for a living (basically scrapheap challenge!!) have most machinery available to make parts if needed.

All genuine tt bits.

Was thinking of the solaris ecu (or whatever its called now) along with the tt ecu for gearbox control, as per Ryan's suggestion.

Hadn't thought of the autobox cooler, will 600cc injectors be enough? uprated fuel rail?

not interested in TC (as long as you mean traction control!)

Thanks for the positivity, was thinking i was a lost cause, humbled to the bumped threads when people need a laugh

meet you all here in a couple of years with my clown hat

600cc will do the job of 500 nicely. If you plan on going much higher in future it might be an idea to get 800's. You don't need a rail.

Solaris will be about 2k supplied, fitted and setup. Might go 1k over budget with that ECU.

Unless the budget is extended I can't see the Solaris/Syvecs being an option, that alone (and mapping/install) and the turbo kit would cost £6k.

You'll need 650cc injectors as a minimum with a T61, if you want any headway (you can get away with less, but with injectors, it's best practice to keep them below 80% max duty). It'll also leave room for future power hikes if you want to go further down the slope :D It will save in the long run if you go bigger than strictly needed. However injectors up to 800cc tend to all cost the same regardless of size. Budget at minimum £450 for injectors (£700+ for decent ones), plus £60 for flow testing. Stock fuel rail will be fine at your aims, as will the filter and lines. The pump needs to be uprated, that will be around £90 for a Walbro unit.

TC = Torque convetor. The stock one might be okay for 500bhp (as per Lui's car), but will need absolutely loads of cooling. Cooling is expensive to buy and fit. £400 upwards for a decent mocal one plus all the fittings.

Was thinking of the solaris ecu (or whatever its called now) along with the tt ecu for gearbox control' date=' as per Ryan's suggestion.[/quote']

Surely a piggyback would be enough for a small Single? The AEM FIC sounds like it's up to the job, and that'd work out at less than half the price of a Solaris.

so would using 800cc injectors be overkill?

if they are around the same price, is it worth getting them, or lead to overfuelling if a problem elsewhere occurs?

Oh, last thing before bed (i'm up at 5) would something like the AEM piggyback work for the power i'm after? I've read the FCon pro can't be mapped easily, is there any other options, the ult should be getting a motec, but not willing to pay that money twice!!

Ryan's aem fic is perfect for you mate. Suited to small single autos and £800 supplied, fitted and mapped.

If you have a look at my current 'project thread' in that section u can see what things u will need for a single set up aimed at super fast spool, and pushing over the 500bhp limit ;)

dont forget to save some £££'s for upgrading the brakes :)