The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bling!

Keith C

No, but there's bugger all difference in weight from what I can tell. ..

I'm asking because I weighed each aftermarket wheel and compared it to the stock item. Even with less thread on them, the 18"ers were on par or slightly heavier than stock.

The trouble is that they tend to carry more of this weight around the perimeter, which makes them effectively much heavier once they start rolling.

Aerodynamically the effects of a 'wider' spoke pattern are unknown, as are the effects on brake cooling.

What's more worrying is that no aftermarket wheels are guaranteed to take the same abuse as stock ones, so if they disintegrate while hitting a pothole (or just a hump at speed) there's nothing you can do really...

This stands for all aftermarket wheels ofcourse.

I'm asking because I weighed each aftermarket wheel and compared it to the stock item. Even with less thread on them, the 18"ers were on par or slightly heavier than stock.

The trouble is that they tend to carry more of this weight around the perimeter, which makes them effectively much heavier once they start rolling.

Aerodynamically the effects of a 'wider' spoke pattern are unknown, as are the effects on brake cooling.

What's more worrying is that no aftermarket wheels are guaranteed to take the same abuse as stock ones, so if they disintegrate while hitting a pothole (or just a hump at speed) there's nothing you can do really...

This stands for all aftermarket wheels ofcourse.

Good points, but the thing about those he has are that they are designed to run on cars that use exactly the same brakes as on the Supra, ie the lexus GS300! I think they'd do the job fine considering they're Toyota wheels too.

Good points, but the thing about those he has are that they are designed to run on cars that use exactly the same brakes as on the Supra, ie the lexus GS300! I think they'd do the job fine considering they're Toyota wheels too.

Oh are they? Didn't know that.

If they are Toyota OEM for a car of similar weight, then I'd feel happy about them. They do look good, I admit. :respekt:

Looks like they clear UK brakes eh?

If they are Toyota OEM for a car of similar weight, then I'd feel happy about them. They do look good, I admit. :respekt:

Do they clear UK brakes too?

Keith's is a UK, good thing is that there is a little more clearance than the 17's provide

Looks like they clear UK brakes eh?

Yup, and think they're running on heavier cars, so they've probably been designed with more air cooling in mind? Who knows :) Im sure they're up to the job, Toyota dont usually mess about.