Wide Wheels and Agressive Offsets

dandan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow!! They are a bit special never seen them before.

Not A lot of people have them because they are not best compared to stuff like i forged etc. I could of bought i forged but no one i knew had really wide wheels. I wanted that look to fill those rear arches on the supra (aggressive). Anyways i see the germans have these braid wheels so after getting the correct offsets of their forums i ordered mine from ibrar:)

I've just come across a set of rota wheels that apparently are 18x8.5 et35 and 18x9.5 et38. Can that be right? I dont understand offsets at all! Can anyone tell me how the rears will sit?

Same size and widths as mine but your rear offset is 8mm larger so the rear wheel will sit in 8mm closer to the centre of the car. I reckon with a 265 rear tyre you'd have zero rubbing issues regardless of how soft the suspension is. With a 275 I wouldn't like to say for definite.

Has anyone ever had to do anything to their front arches when running a 245/40/18 tyre on an 8.5 wide 35 offset wheel?

Same size and widths as mine but your rear offset is 8mm larger so the rear wheel will sit in 8mm closer to the centre of the car. I reckon with a 265 rear tyre you'd have zero rubbing issues regardless of how soft the suspension is. With a 275 I wouldn't like to say for definite.

Has anyone ever had to do anything to their front arches when running a 245/40/18 tyre on an 8.5 wide 35 offset wheel?

Thanks for that :) I think my problem is actual visualisation! So your offset of +30 on a 9.5j wheel, where as the other wheels are a +38, making the 'dish' look of the wheel less aggressive but sticks out just as far? With that combo of 9.5j +38 offset, will it make the wheel look fairly 'aggressive' and sit nice in the arch? Or will it sit right in and look a bit arse? :D

Edited by dani_r (see edit history)

Ive had 255/35/18 on the front of mine with no problems, 9" wheel +35 so id say you would be ok.

Nice one Jamie - thanks. Have you run that width on Chris Wilson's suspension yet?

Thanks for that :) I think my problem is actual visualisation! So your offset of +30 on a 9.5j wheel, where as the other wheels are a +38, making the 'dish' look of the wheel less aggressive but sticks out just as far? With that combo of 9.5j +38 offset, will it make the wheel look fairly 'aggressive' and sit nice in the arch? Or will it sit right in and look a bit arse? :D

The offset tells you where the outer edge of the whole wheel will be....it is not a direct measurement of the dish size. However, a wheel with an offset of 30 would potentially have 8mm more space to create a dish compared to an offset of 38mm. Just don't assume that smaller offset = larger dish as that isn't always true.

Your wheels will stick out 8mm less than mine. I'm not sure about any dish effects though, sorry. Personally I think a 38mm offset would look good and the benefit of not rolling the arches would probably sway it for me. :)

Nice one Jamie - thanks. Have you run that width on Chris Wilson's suspension yet?

The offset tells you where the outer edge of the whole wheel will be....it is not a direct measurement of the dish size. However, a wheel with an offset of 30 would potentially have 8mm more space to create a dish compared to an offset of 38mm. Just don't assume that smaller offset = larger dish as that isn't always true.

Your wheels will stick out 8mm less than mine. I'm not sure about any dish effects though, sorry. Personally I think a 38mm offset would look good and the benefit of not rolling the arches would probably sway it for me. :)

That's a picture of the wheels in question, i think it'll be ok! Sorry for all the questions. :)