The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mapping question...

pauld36

i know now this is my problem 100 percent and hind sight is a wonderful thing,they didnt charge for remapping,so its tough luck on me .i just feel someone should have mentioned it in case i was as stupid as i turned out to be lol

Seems a real shame Paul, so easily could have been avoided, quite poor of the trader, but also on your part for not asking enough q's etc, perhaps they assumed too that you knew enough not to drive it hard etc till further tuning, and yourself assuming it would all been done, unlucky :(

It really should be down to the garage to keep you informed of how to drive the car and what needs to happen next.

When I picked my car up from Whifbitz last year I was asked if I had ever run a high spec car in before and then taken out in it to show me what I should be doing. Was told under no circumstances to take it on boost etc etc.

Most of which I already knew but thats not the point.

Stop with the name and shame bollox.

The owner paid for work to be done. He should have asked lots of questions after such major surgery.

The garage don't want bad press and so have offered to help him further but lets face it, they don't have to. The owner has put his hands up and said he was naïve to what the norm is. And the garage yes should have said it's on a base map, get it to the person you want to tune it straight away...but it's a simple communication breakdown and if you weren't there then I expect you like I have no idea what actually went on.

There is no shame to name.

Edited by Pixelfill
spelling ;) (see edit history)

No disrespect, but it seems to me that you commissioned the work on your car? correct?

And in doing so you must have both given instructions as to what was to be done/fitted, and had some idea of what was required, IE known that the engine would require some kind of mapping for it to run correctly.

So you are saying that they completed the work including fitting an aftermarket ECU which you knew about and then didn't tell you that it wasn't mapped correctly/ or at all?

and that you happily paid up for all this and neglected to ask?and just drove off happy.

Seems a little odd to me, somebody is not being totally honest here i suspect.

no i asked for all the bits inc ecu to be fitted and just kind of assumed[if ever the saying assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups applies] it would be included,im not going to name them because although they got no legal responsibility they have agreed to help out.

• 2 weeks later...
Replaced turbos and fitted HKS intercooler and airfilter , and not been remapped...! Gather the Factory computer will not be able to be remapped. Is this true, and whats thyp[e of ECU would be best. Its an older 96 MkIV.

of you have replaced the turbos for stock ones that are the same then you wont need to remap the ecu.

The supra isnt like an evo that seems to need to be remapped every time you change the magic tree