Wheels have arrived.... **pix**

Notts_TT

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nah im still not getting it, both wheels stick out the same amount (im taking a wheel with spacer and a wheel with a offset to match the spacer wheel) so i cant see how the bearing load would change.

Ahh, no you are right. That is exactly the same. Getting an offset to make the wheels stick out, like I have, puts exactly the same extra stress on the bearings etc.

Basically my wheels are 45mm further out than they would be if they were the stock offset of +55. If someone had +55 wheels like mine and added 45mm spacers the extra stress would be the same.

Everyone said get 18s as it will drive handle better, and now i have 18s...............

Scott, surely a low offset puts stress on the suspension too, 20mm offset is like 35mm spacer ? NO

Yup, it does indeed. Got the wires crossed with the question. If the distance from the hub face to the load point of the wheel is greater, regardless of how this is achieved, it will put additional stress on the bearing & suspension components.

Just as an addon. Jamie when you asked the question you mentioned the wheel sticking out further. This is different and the reason I posted the analogy I did.

In your case you had 12" wheels with the proper offset IIRC. This would mean that there would be very little additional stress on the components in a straight line, with more strain put on the components in corners etc. The offset, as I understand it, is the distance from the hub where most of the weight of the car will be centered on the wheel. In your case this was still +55 to the hub (as it should be stock). So your wheels were far more suited to this purpose.

Regardless of what you do, wider wheels with different offsets will all put strain on the suspension & bearings. The further you go the more difference it will make. 50mm spacers with an already increased offset of +35 will increase the distance from the hub by 70mm. This means that even just standing still the load on the bearing and suspension will have doubled, possibly even tripled depending how far away from the hub face the bearing is.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

So me having a 50mm spacer isnt too bad then, my wheels are 35mm offset so its like a 70mm spacer if i were using stock offset, 25mm more than you scott????

Is this right?

People say it is, people say it isn't. I tried to explain it a bit better in the post above.

Basically anyone with any change in offset & width runs the risk of extra load on the bearing. Going to extremes is where issues can happen. I am willing to take that risk, as are a lot of people. It is basically down to yourself and if you feel you are willing to risk it. I certainly can't see it being dangerous and I can't see there being any effect on the handling as long as it is setup properly once settled. You may go through bearings & wishbone's a bit faster though :)

I'm +20 with 10mm spacers, this is an increase of 45mm as you say. You have to understand that the 45mm is a massive increase in comparison to what is there just now. In my estimate I think it has doubled the strain. Increasing the 25mm might not sound like much but you are adding an additional 50% to what I have at the moment.

Never mind, might get shares in toyota :)

As said before, its a show car and will do only a couple of thousand miles a year so

wont get the miles in of some of others everyday cars...

Might get some new bearings in now to start me off...

Cheers Scott

Due to the use it is going to have, if it were me personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't bother with the bearings until there is something wrong either as they are mighty expensive.

Nah im still not getting it, both wheels stick out the same amount (im taking a wheel with spacer and a wheel with a offset to match the spacer wheel) so i cant see how the bearing load would change.

It will change, and significantly so. However, having a hugely out of stock offset will also effect the loading, but to a lesser degree (but even that is a massive extra loading, proportionally as offset increases). It's not just the bearing, but other factors such as the bolt load. Suspension damper bound and rebound will need to be adjusted along with the spring rate to counteract. It's not simple.

Problem is I can't explain it easily without spending an hour writing it out. Needs some mechanical mathmatics explained and I'm far too tired to start a long post!

Dont worry about it homer, I dont need to understand it, all i need to know is that it'll be all fine. :)

That would all depend what you consider "fine"

Will it drive? Yes

Will it be safe? No

Will it have an impact to handling? Yes

Should I have the suspension geometry re-aligned? Yes

Should I have spring rate matched? Yes

Will it cause reliability issues? Yes

etc

:)

I have to say I have read a lot about the use of spacers and it all seems bad to me, if you have another option then take it rather than spacers...especially 50mm ones, I didn't even know you could get them that big!

The wheels look nice, however black centres and polished lip always look smaller than they are due to the eye focusing on the black bit. Its a bit of an optical illusion really because as you look at them to judge size you kind of block out the silver bit and just look at the black bit, making them look more like 16.5"/17" than 18". That is what put me off getting those exact wheels :) I do think they look good, but would look a lot nicer in 19".

Saying all that, I had 19" on my last supra, 18" on this one and can say that 18" is a 100% better ride. Quieter, smoother, nicer feel all around.

These wont fook up my suspension or bearings will they, has anyone used spacers that big on here before.

They are huge to be honest and won't do any favours, and yes I've seen one other car with silly spacers on it before, and it wasn't a nice car (The albatross...)

Everyone said get 18s as it will drive handle better, and now i have 18s...............

And who exactly said 18s would handle better? and better than what?

Dont worry about it homer, I dont need to understand it, all i need to know is that it'll be all fine. :)

EXACTLY what he said in his quote :)

I wouldn't be touching 50mm spacers, I'm having a hard enough time with Ash and him putting spacers on his BDC car, as far as I'm concerned they are the anti-christ.

It's a shame that you've bought wheels that don't fit your arches. One most attractive aspects of the overfenders is the fact that you can mate wheels with gorgeous lips. If you were buying new wheels I can't imagine why you didn't specify something with the optimum offsets.

Look how nice you can get it with the right wheels:

It's a shame that you've bought wheels that don't fit your arches. One most attractive aspects of the overfenders is the fact that you can mate wheels with gorgeous lips. If you were buying new wheels I can't imagine why you didn't specify something with the optimum offsets.

Look how nice you can get it with the right wheels:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Matt_H/DSC_0864.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Matt_H/DSC_0865.jpg

I thought i remember a thread that you had spacers? maybe im mixed up?

I thought i remember a thread that you had spacers? maybe im mixed up?

I had to put a minimal spacer on the fronts to make sure the wheels would clear the AP Racing brake calipers, but the wheels were ordered to fit the VS arches. I'm pretty sure Nic specified the same offsets that you had on your red car.

The rear wheels haven't. Shame really about the fronts, but the calipers just touched the wheels when they went on for the test fit. :(

I had to put a minimal spacer on the fronts to make sure the wheels would clear the AP Racing brake calipers, but the wheels were ordered to fit the VS arches. I'm pretty sure Nic specified the same offsets that you had on your red car.

The rear wheels haven't. Shame really about the fronts, but the calipers just touched the wheels when they went on for the test fit. :(

Lovely wheels mind. :cool: