Na-tt

Mistermann

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much for just the kit? And what clutch would you recommend?

I've seen the exedy clutches on ebay that a reasonable but they dont say how much they can withstand!

pm'd

clutchwise...ive used a few different ones....the rps most common..can handle the power easily, the clutch pedal can go a little harder for a few weeks until bed in properly, but have crept up in price in the last few mths...

ive used competition clutch whcih were also good and cheaper that the rps. exidy i have used too, again good if you get the right one...

the ones on ebay you have to be careful of, because too many muppets are trying to sell them...advertising as exedy, it arrives as something totally different...just a replacement version! if you get one, make sure its the one in the advert. a lot of sellers also dont actually have them in stock too...you pay....you wait...weeks!

Ive done a lot of conversions on 5 speeds now...about 25! i know a few locals and members on here that ive done them for, bpu plus...doing the odd trackday etc etc...and it loves it. what i say is that if your fluids are topped up, and you had a strong box to begin with...(not one that a chav has been doing burnouts and donuts in) then it will be fine.

i personally had one running about 450ish and that was good.

Its like with all cars...drive it like a n@b, it wont last long something will give. If you drive it sensibily, check your box fluids often. it will be fine...

Again with the diffs/props...again good...never heard of one go. again check the fluids etc it should be fine...

The good thing about the 5 speed also is that IF it ever went wrong...another one would be very cheap! (as low as £100 ive seen them) if it happened to a 6 speed (with is more the case these days) have upto 3k ready (if you can find one!)

The only downfall with them is the top speed. but how often do you go over 150ish? The 5 speed is great all round imo.

i agree the tt 5 spd seem very nippy and seem to take of quicker

Ive done a lot of conversions on 5 speeds now...about 25! i know a few locals and members on here that ive done them for, bpu plus...doing the odd trackday etc etc...and it loves it. what i say is that if your fluids are topped up, and you had a strong box to begin with...(not one that a chav has been doing burnouts and donuts in) then it will be fine.

i personally had one running about 450ish and that was good.

Its like with all cars...drive it like a n@b, it wont last long something will give. If you drive it sensibily, check your box fluids often. it will be fine...

Again with the diffs/props...again good...never heard of one go. again check the fluids etc it should be fine...

The good thing about the 5 speed also is that IF it ever went wrong...another one would be very cheap! (as low as £100 ive seen them) if it happened to a 6 speed (with is more the case these days) have upto 3k ready (if you can find one!)

The only downfall with them is the top speed. but how often do you go over 150ish? The 5 speed is great all round imo.

Thanks Keron. I had no idea you'd done so many of these conversions nor that they were that reliable. Most of the threads I've read here have been from people complaining about gearbox faults after not many miles, but as you say that could just be down to abuse or knackered boxes.

I'll certainly be rethinking my project after this thread.

Lower top speed is probably a good thing for me :D Means I'm less likely to end up in prison, having a near 200mph capable car was too tempting not to push it on the open roads...

Most of the threads I've read here have been from people complaining about gearbox faults after not many miles

Isn't that a holdover from the turboshit days again? When they sold 'uprated' 5spd boxes that were just stock W58s poisoned by their cold touch, and snapped in half when you started the car?

Thanks Keron. I had no idea you'd done so many of these conversions nor that they were that reliable. Most of the threads I've read here have been from people complaining about gearbox faults after not many miles, but as you say that could just be down to abuse or knackered boxes.

Lower top speed is probably a good thing for me :D Means I'm less likely to end up in prison, having a near 200mph capable car was too tempting not to push it on the open roads...

For extra safety it is possible to go for a 1jz box they are very cheap to get hold of and can easily handle 500bhp+.

Your not the only one! I'm in two minds to do it now or not!

It would be alot easier to do it this way and I could still have a manual also, if i was to sell mine i'd be looking at a well sorted auto, if the boxes aint made of chocolate then its become really tempting again! Just the fact that i want to go single further down the line is whats holding me back, i know i'll have to convert to a 6speed sooner or later! :(

But then I think of converting to a TT and trying out the single turbo package that Dude was telling me about and see how it fairs on that! If it works and holds then it could mean that having a single turbo manual ( if it aint all about the power , you just love the noise like me) isn't going to be that hard to get!

Isn't that a holdover from the turboshit days again? When they sold 'uprated' 5spd boxes that were just stock W58s poisoned by their cold touch, and snapped in half when you started the car?

haha, possibly, but the ones I recall were not touched by them.

For extra safety it is possible to go for a 1jz box they are very cheap to get hold of and can easily handle 500bhp+.

The R154 conversion is cheaper than the 6spd, but has it's own issues. It is not cheap and needs a lot of parts. I think it was Bondango that wrote a detailed guide in tech for the conversion, it was at least £1k without the prop consideration.

The R154 conversion is cheaper than the 6spd, but has it's own issues. It is not cheap and needs a lot of parts. I think it was Bondango that wrote a detailed guide in tech for the conversion, it was at least £1k without the prop consideration.

I need to check with my mechanic on Monday how it was done, but he managed to do it in a day, apparenlty it wasn't that complicated but he had to swap a few a parts of the W58 onto the R154..

I need to check with my mechanic on Monday how it was done, but he managed to do it in a day, apparenlty it wasn't that complicated but he had to swap a few a parts of the W58 onto the R154..

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2478318&postcount=27

This was the post I referred to, but I am sure there was a more detailed one around listing the parts.. might have been on a soarer forum though!

Top speed should be the same looking at the specs dude 5th and 6th are virtually the same V160-W58 and its lower numerically than a V161!!!!

http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/pages/specifications/JZA80/jza80.htm

Edited by dude (see edit history)

Top speed should be the same looking at the specs dude 5th and 6th are virtually the same V160-W58 and its lower numerically than a V161!!!!

http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/pages/specifications/JZA80/jza80.htm

But with the NA diff it'll bring the final drive back down again so 150mph (ish) top speed. Personally I'd have thought the gearing would be too long with a W58 and 6spd diff, 1st gear would do near 50mph!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=184490

But with the NA diff it'll bring the final drive back down again so 150mph (ish) top speed. Personally I'd have thought the gearing would be too long with a W58 and 6spd diff, 1st gear would do near 50mph!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=184490

I would say that would be perfect in a BPU car, you can always play with the gear/rev calculator and aspect ratios of the tyres.