The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J Spec Brakes

narbar

I replaced my J-spec discs with cryo treated d/g discs, pads with some high quality ceramic pads and did a full system flush, the difference is night and day in initial bite and stopping power, Like Homer said Big brakes really won't stop you in that much a shorter distance maybe a few feet less from 60, They allow for repeated hard braking without fading, and are over kill on a non track car,(perfectly acceptable as visual upgrade though) on the other hand if you do repeated panic stops on the street without enough time for the brakes to return to operating temp, you should probably turn in your license before you hurt someone

Edited by GMan (see edit history)

il call up in around an hour.wil get my sup cleaned up a bit first lol.im just hairdrying my headlamps getting the condensation out theyre coming along nicely.is it just u who works there?

Leave the car dirty mate :) mines full of shite, hant been washed in 2 months.

Theres me and another lad in today thats all.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=181955

This thread may help you a little bit as I had similiar questions when my brakes weren't performing very well, when I first purchased my car.

Everything brakes wise was new to look at calipers, discs, even pads too.

I ended up replacing all of the tyres for some Toyo T1 R's, having a full 4 wheel alignment carried out and then changed the pads for some EBC Red Stuff having good experience with EBC Green Stuff in the past.

It inspired slightly more confidence than what I originally had, but I would still not rely on them stopping me quickly.

Perfectly fine for normal driving though, just drive sensibly is my moto whilst saving for a brake up grade.

Hope this helps....>

I ended up replacing all of the tyres for some Toyo T1 R's, having a full 4 wheel alignment carried out and then changed the pads for some EBC Red Stuff having good experience with EBC Green Stuff in the past.

It inspired slightly more confidence than what I originally had, but I would still not rely on them stopping me quickly.

Well, the pad choice was not a good one, might have mentioned that in the previous thread), get some decent pads in there. they are the key to making the smaller brakes perform.

EBC greens are completely unsuitable for a supra, EBC themselves even say this on their website! The reds are average and best suited to track use, they're not really a road pad.

Pads and fluid are the things to change............the right pads will improve the feel through the pedal and won't fade with hard use ie they retain their coefficient of friction at the higher temps that come with sustained braking. By using uprated fluid you will avoid the chance of boiling the fluid from having this extra heat in the 'system'.

If Chris wilson can track a auto TT, with just these two things changed, to the point that the plastic dust caps on his tyre valves are melting then i'd say it certainly possible to get the j spec stuff to work well.

Well, the pad choice was not a good one, might have mentioned that in the previous thread), get some decent pads in there. they are the key to making the smaller brakes perform.

EBC greens are completely unsuitable for a supra, EBC themselves even say this on their website! The reds are average and best suited to track use, they're not really a road pad.

Oh right I didn't know that to be honest, just went with the fact that I had used them before in a Ford.

When my current set up wears out I will either do some better research, or perhaps replace the lot if I am in a position to do so.

Once you have had very good brakes in the past, you definately miss them is all I will say ;)

Edited by Pudsey
Missing word.... (see edit history)