The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA to TT Conversion

Guest George89

There's still a lot more to consider than just the engine. THe NA diff and gearbox are weaker and don't always fare to well at BPU power levels (though some element of luck/driving style seems to apply). THe NA diff is also nea ralways the non-lsd type so far from ideal with a TT.

There's also the ABS issue, which is difficult to retrofit.

Do you have ABS currently? Which gearbox do you have? Which diff?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm consider about stock 1JZ atm, I'm running LSD diff and 5speed W58.

NA LSD or one from a TT auto? The NA LSD still has the same weak point as the non-LSD.

With the 1JZ there will be a bit more safety margin, they make less torque than the 2JZ so will put a little less pressure on the drivechain.

ok so, not including brakes, which i think has been covered before and sticking to the n/a auto.

I would certainly require a TT engine with the TT auto box, plus TT LSD diff.

As for ABS im not so sure a must have, i have had mixed results with abs in past cars(although the old mechanical ABS had a err... unique twist to it).

Anyone here consider it essential, a waste of time or inefferent?

Can a TT LSD diff be fitted to an n/a auto with out the TT engine? Just thinking about spreading costs.

Sorry i know this subject gets covered a lot but want to make a few phone calls and want to make sure im asking for the right things.

ok so, not including brakes, which i think has been covered before and sticking to the n/a auto.

I would certainly require a TT engine with the TT auto box, plus TT LSD diff.

As for ABS im not so sure a must have, i have had mixed results with abs in past cars(although the old mechanical ABS had a err... unique twist to it).

Anyone here consider it essential, a waste of time or inefferent?

Can a TT LSD diff be fitted to an n/a auto with out the TT engine? Just thinking about spreading costs.

Sorry i know this subject gets covered a lot but want to make a few phone calls and want to make sure im asking for the right things.

In my opinion ABS is essential on a high powered RWD car, unless you are a very accomplished driver. The supra system is very good indeed and trust me, on a well setup jspec brake system the wheels can and will lock at over 60mph when used in full. You don't really want them to lock at that sort of speed.

The TT auto LSD can be fitted to an NA at any stage, but as the drive ratio is different it will result in longer gearing and therefore slower acceleration. You'll find it far more cost effective to do the upgrade all in one as in most cases the parts will be coming off a complete breaker allowing all related parts to be fitted (e.g. ABS hubs, ABS geared driveshafts, TT prop, etc.

Keron and AFR offer these services and both have years of experience with it, they will be able to advise you of the best course to take.

personally as you seem fine with staying auto I would sniff out the next £4-5K facelift TT auto and sell yours.

You could get a newer car which has always been a TT and you can test the engine before you buy. The whole drive train issue becomes a non issue and you can just own and drive it.

I think with the points homer has raised and what scootter has said. I should really start looking into picking up a Complete TT, as it sounds like it would make a lot more sense. I was hoping the answer would be to upgrade(as i have a strange loyalty to my car) and i will probably still ask the questions to AFR and Keron but i will start keeping an eye on the for sale threads :)

Thanks for the advice.

I think with the points homer has raised and what scootter has said. I should really start looking into picking up a Complete TT, as it sounds like it would make a lot more sense. I was hoping the answer would be to upgrade(as i have a strange loyalty to my car) and i will probably still ask the questions to AFR and Keron but i will start keeping an eye on the for sale threads :)

Thanks for the advice.

Financially it makes more sense. I've said it dozens of times before and no double will do in future - unless you have a late model NA, one with a large amount of money invested OR are very handy with the spanners & a keen bargain hunter - it makes far more sense (both financially and hassle wise) to sell and buy a proper TT.

Financially it makes more sense. I've said it dozens of times before and no double will do in future - unless you have a late model NA, one with a large amount of money invested OR are very handy with the spanners & a keen bargain hunter - it makes far more sense (both financially and hassle wise) to sell and buy a proper TT.

This is the truth.

It seems like it would be cheaper to convert, but it isnt. The small parts new from Toyota cost a pretty penny and they add up fast. New nuts and bolts, PS reservoir, wear items, tune up items, oil pans, intercooler, fabrication, lead time, etc. Adds up very quickly.

There are a few rare occasions that it is worthwile:

1. You have done extensive body and paint work to the NA you currently own.

2. You have mint interior and all the internals inside the car are exactly like you want them. (all plastic pieces etc are in mint condition)

3. You can do all the work yourself and dont mind the car being down for a long time while you bargain hunt.

If you ever plan on going APU by a car that is already done. It might seem like a hefty price tag until you do it yourself =)

Guest George89

Well i have a white supra na auto and if i was to sell it how much would i get for it? it works out cheaper for me to do a conversion as other white supra tt's are around the £8K mark which works out far more expensive

This is the truth.

It seems like it would be cheaper to convert, but it isnt. The small parts new from Toyota cost a pretty penny and they add up fast. New nuts and bolts, PS reservoir, wear items, tune up items, oil pans, intercooler, fabrication, lead time, etc. Adds up very quickly.

While we agree, one thing to point out is the price differential between the US and UK on these cars. The US prices are very high, over here in the UK early NA's are not worth all that much. Hardtop NA auto's can be had for $3-5k. A mate picked up an NA 5spd for $3.7k a few month back that was in good condition and sub 70k miles. We also have a lot of breaker supra's (check my posts on SF for some of our scrap yards ;) ), parts are easy to come by and it's rare to need to buy new ones on conversions.

I think I'll go into the swap as I never like to have to much technology in my cars. If some one will be intrested I might have some NA engine and exhaust for sale :p

The engine is worth about £200 mate, but more of these things get scrapped more than sold, they are two a penny. I got my last 60k mile NA engine and 5spd drivetrain, including the manual conversion for £350...

Well i have a white supra na auto and if i was to sell it how much would i get for it? it works out cheaper for me to do a conversion as other white supra tt's are around the £8K mark which works out far more expensive

You need to start looking better for a start! What sort of TT do you want? 6spd or auto? Colour preference? Aero/hardtop?

There's a few good cars for sale at the moment for a lot less than £8k!

im going to have the conversion done, it will probley work out more money than if i was to just buy a tt but i have done alot to the car and enjoy working on it and learning more about, so im happy to spend the money and have it how i want it. alot of people have there views but at the end of the day its your own decision and nothing is impossible, just may take time and extra money. jerry springer.

Guest George89

How much do you think this would go for. Toyota supra december 1995. NA auto White with veilside front bumper and sideskirts with 72K Miles imported in 2008 with tons of paper work

While we agree, one thing to point out is the price differential between the US and UK on these cars. The US prices are very high, over here in the UK early NA's are not worth all that much. Hardtop NA auto's can be had for $3-5k. A mate picked up an NA 5spd for $3.7k a few month back that was in good condition and sub 70k miles. We also have a lot of breaker supra's (check my posts on SF for some of our scrap yards ;) ), parts are easy to come by and it's rare to need to buy new ones on conversions.

Good point. Stateside we dont have that option. Let me know when you come across a couple nice Getrags in those scrap yards =)

Hardtops there are more common than Targas (aeros) correct? Here it is the opposite.

In any event if you need any help guides, suggestions, tool list etc. for the swaps let me know I can guide you with pics via PM or over the forum for other members.

Guest George89

Yeah i have seen that one i rung them up and its sold already.

To be honest i got my car very very cheap from a friend of mine far cheaper then any of the supras na's on pistonheads. And mine is in good condition the interior is spotless. It works out so much cheaper to do a TT conversion and all in (including the car) it would be cheaper then the cheapest TT for sale in bad condition

How much do you think this would go for. Toyota supra december 1995. NA auto White with veilside front bumper and sideskirts with 72K Miles imported in 2008 with tons of paper work

Difficult to say, people will still pay silly money for a car they love at first sight. The vileside kit will devalue it, but for a 95 in great condition, even with the kit, about £3-4k private and an interested buyer. There are much chepaer ones out there, so just be prepared to find the right buyer.

White seems to be "in" at the moment, so that's a plus :D

Good point. Stateside we dont have that option. Let me know when you come across a couple nice Getrags in those scrap yards =)

Hardtops there are more common than Targas (aeros) correct? Here it is the opposite.

The getrags are still a premium here, about £2.5k for a full conversion kit (about $4.5k plus tax and delivery). They are still quite rare, but the cars still flood in from Japan, whether breakers or working

Here the aero's are very rare, there were only a few made in RHD. Nearly every RHD supra is a hardtop (as they should be ;) ), the aero's are not great on our roads, nor round a track.

Yeah i have seen that one i rung them up and its sold already.

To be honest i got my car very very cheap from a friend of mine far cheaper then any of the supras na's on pistonheads. And mine is in good condition the interior is spotless. It works out so much cheaper to do a TT conversion and all in (including the car) it would be cheaper then the cheapest TT for sale in bad condition

Well, that will depend on how you do it. As mentioned before, make sure you have the ABS hubs and loom, swap the diff, prop, box and engine and if it comes in below:

Current car value + conversion cost = equal to final value

then you cannot go wrong :)

Guest George89

Well according to what others have told me ABS is to expensive to put in and wont be worth it. Roughly how much would it cost for ABS and do i really need it?

The getrags are still a premium here, about £2.5k for a full conversion kit (about $4.5k plus tax and delivery). They are still quite rare, but the cars still flood in from Japan, whether broken or working)

Here the aero's are very rare, there were only a few made in RHD. Nearly every RHD supra is a hardtop (as they should be ;) ), the aero's are not great on our roads, nor round a track.

Yes hardtops here bring a premium. Getrags are insanely priced here. To do a swap using new-like new parts will run about 10k US. You can find them occasionally just the 6 Speeds with a syncro bad or the like for $3k or so.

I like my TH400 better anyways =)