The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Never buy a car with worn rubbers

D3xt3r

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it's documented on here somewhere but the surefire way to undo the is by heating the screws up first.

If you heat bolts they will expand, it is better to freeze so they contract. Get an air spray in a can and hold it upside down and spray on the bolts - it will freeze them but be careful not to freeze yourself or you will end up with frostbite ;)

After time they will wear out and when you hear squeek squeek rattle rattle you'll know its time to replace them.

Hmmm mine makes similar noises but I thought it was my surf board, sorry Veilside spoiler on the back... maybe time to change them...

Before you even start. Get a cordless hammer drill, and a decent cross point bit ie brand new and the correct size. I have something called screw grab that is effectively iron filings in oil that aids grip. Put the drill on a low screwdriver setting and start blatting whilst pushing as hard as you can on the screw. As soon as you feel the screwdriver bit start to lift out stop. Poor mans way is to take a standard philips screwdriver and drill a hole in the top of the screwdriver 90 degrees to the shaft of the screwdriver. Then get another philips and put it through the first one to make a T-shaped screwdriver. Then lean like buggery on the driving screwdriver whilst turning using the other one as leverage. Bash the end of the driver a couple of times to provoke release.

PS be awre that all forces need a reaction and you may find with the application of force you need something on the other side to prevent stuff getting bent.

If you heat bolts they will expand, it is better to freeze so they contract. Get an air spray in a can and hold it upside down and spray on the bolts - it will freeze them but be careful not to freeze yourself or you will end up with frostbite ;)

The heat is to melt the loctite on the screws to aid removal, as you say too much will make life harder but you only need a bit to loosen them off.

• 4 months later...
I gave up and just put some black silicone on the existing ones, I have the new rubbers, I just couldn't bring myself to hack the car up fitting them :)

Where about's did you apply the silicone? It's just I can see me trashing the car to get the originals out. Cheers.

Where about's did you apply the silicone? It's just I can see me trashing the car to get the originals out. Cheers.

I just stuck a layer of black foam over the original lower boot rubbers. It gets compressed into the original shape. I did it over 6 months ago and no squeeking since. :)

A soldering iron is no good at all, the heat will just dissipate into the sheet metal, which acts as a giant heat sink. You need a mini blow torch and to make some heat deflecting sheet metal, to protect the paint. If you try to remove the screws BEFORE you do this you will, in all probability, *ugger them up.

A soldering iron is no good at all, the heat will just dissipate into the sheet metal, which acts as a giant heat sink. You need a mini blow torch and to make some heat deflecting sheet metal, to protect the paint. If you try to remove the screws BEFORE you do this you will, in all probability, *ugger them up.

Bugger isn't a swear word;) But good advice non the less :thumbs:

• 2 years later...
Guest markeski

I drilled my screws out as they were badly stripped. Took several hours and I had to wait in between times to charge the drill as it was cordless only. Eventually got the new rubbers on and the rattle has stopped.