The mkiv Supra Owners Club

trd spoiler wrong way??

billy bhoy

:blink: its nothing to do with where the sharp edge of the wing is. Its the profile of the blade.

its ard to explane ill find a picture.

On a car. Giving downforce

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/imageBank/cache/w/wng.jpg_e_5b84aa811001e694c004cbb049f2caab.jpg

On a plane giving lift.

http://image.circletrack.com/f/9296472/ctrp_0707_03_z+aerodynamic_downforce+airplane_wing_diagram.jpg

Stop editing and read my responses ;)

I had a think and realised.

Honest, I don't work in the aerospace industry :innocent:

it still doesnt make sense... fat edge forward. thin edge bacward. flat surace of wiing on the top :p

I know, thats why I changed my opinion. When I edit my posts I just add additional information so that I can't be accused of covering up my mistakes ;)

Having another think about it I think it's just an upside down plane wing, which will create downforce as well.

That was my addition to the post. I didn't edit my original response at all as I wanted to leave my train of thought intact.

im confuset!think ill just mess about with it to see how it looks!

Your center blade is on upside down so all you need to do is unbolt it and turn it through 180 degrees keeping the thin edge of the wing to the rear of the car and the curve of the wing upwards and not downwards

It can only fit on one way or youll seriously mess up the handling of your car as you'll create uplift rather than downfoce.

Just look at a few trd wing pictures and im sure you'll see how its supposed to fit.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Seems to be a bit of confusion in this thread.

As I did a fair amount of aerodynamics on my degree, maybe I can help out.

The rear spoiler on the likes of the stock and TRD versions are supposed to work like an inverted airplane wing.

The car body itself is acting like a normal (right way up) wing generating an amount of lift. Therefore the air coming over the top of the car is accelerated in comparison to the air going underneath the car.

So a spoiler tries to use this accelerated air and 'catch' it as it passes over the car's top surface (and sides to an extent) to produce an amount of downforce.

The downforce generated is not much, but at higher speeds should be enough to have an effect on car balance.

Although, on many spoiler designs that I see, I wonder if all they do is create drag and even sometimes aid in a lift effect at the rear.

To effectively design a spoiler a company should do wind tunnel testing and not just computer modeling. Wonder how many aftermarket spoiler companies have the cash resource to do wind tunnel testing?

Edited by AJI (see edit history)

Dunk, come on man, you're talking about a little amount of air flow trying to upset a 1500kg car, we're not in F1 territory here man :D

It does depend on how fast you drive :D ive noticed my car isnt so stable at speed since removing the wing, im talking 3 figures though ;)

How do you know how much lift an upside down Trd wing will create Ash :tongue::D im just airing on the cautious side as i know how wriggly my car is wingless so adding lift to the rear cant be good.

To all those that dont know heres the differance between getting lift on an aeroplane wing and downforce with a wing on a car ;)

Although, on many spoiler designs that I see, I wonder if all they do is create drag and even sometimes aid in a lift effect at the rear.

To effectively design a spoiler a company should do wind tunnel testing and not just computer modeling. Wonder how many aftermarket spoiler companies have the cash resource to do wind tunnel testing?

Very very true, although I highly doubt any non-OEM company has even tried to develop the wing of the car using a computer (CFD - computational fluid dynamics). The only company I can see even attempting any real analysis will be Toyota and by extension - TRD.

When you consider that most wings are sold generically in that they'll fit any car, it makes determining the characteristics of the wing next to impossible as the flow from the roofline and the rear screen will be different for every car it's fitted to.

The reason why this is important is that the wing will have an optimum incidence. That is an optimal angle it is being presented to the airflow. If you take the wing beyond this angle, the wing will stall and create a lot of drag (vastly more than it will otherwise) and very little downforce.

Having designed wings the past decade, I can tell you getting the profiles and the incidence correct is extremely difficult, and a difference of as little as 0.1 of a degree can cause a wing to stall. Not only do you have a problem of the wing globally stalling, but you may find that the centre section is attached and generating downforce but the outboard tips are stalling. There's lots of tricks you can use to try to reduce this, but again as the wings will get bolted on anything from a Supra to a Nova, trying to work out what to do as a manufacturer is a futile task.