• Too far away

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got 8 odd months to get it finished:D

Im doing the 2cv first.

it will take him that long to get that last manifold nut off:D

I had to order new spanners just for the last bolt :( Got the rest off though so nearly there.

Tested the water with the mrs tonight and it wasnt as positive as i thought it might be. :(

But you doing the scum run in April and were doing the Singapore Grand prix next year and were doing up the outside of the house and if your cars are not going to be finished in time.

Think Ill put my name on the missing list till next time.

Guest Phyxius

hi all!

New on site as you see on "new members"-thread.

Was directed here from there and from what I read quickly I thought I'd update you all some to save you time and money.

Since I live in Sweden, 30km from Mantorp, I think that taking the Gothenburg route as I read it is a NOOOOOO!!!!!

Mostly because the ferry going there is shut down! rumours saying its coming alive in the near future.

Get the ferry to esbjerg and from there drive yourselves to kopenhagen on the E20-freeway.

Once in kopenhagen get to Malmo, sweden taking the bridge and from there take the E4-freeway heading north for Stockholm, halfway to Sthlm you reach Mantorp!

According to following research this route takes approx 810km, 8,5 hrs....driving legal speed that is LOL

Dont know if I misread some of your posts, read it all quickly, sorry if I assumed to much or misguided your intentions!

Nontheless, I hope some of you visit the event and I´d be more than happy to meet up with ya'll over a beer and have a great time...To be continued!

Besides, you'll get a chance of visiting the fighterjetmuseum in Linköping, 30km from Mantorp aswell!

They rebuilding the museum and its due for reopening with a huge fuss of airshows and so on, might not be on the same dates as Gatebil, but flying a JAS 39 Gripen-simulator might be some fun aswell part from the driving and drifting etc etc.

Sorry, lol, some times my other passion for jets kicks in, working as an aeronautical engineer and the two loves/passions for cars and jets sometimes have their polls...

http://maps.google.se/maps?hl=sv&source=hp&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=esbjerg-kopenhagen&fb=1&gl=se&hq=esbjerg&hnear=-kopenhagen&ei=LDkAS4n_LtHZ-QbA1v3lCg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CC0QtgMwAg

Edited by Phyxius (see edit history)

hi all!

New on site as you see on "new members"-thread.

Was directed here from there and from what I read quickly I thought I'd update you all some to save you time and money.

Since I live in Sweden, 30km from Mantorp, I think that taking the Gothenburg route as I read it is a NOOOOOO!!!!!

Mostly because the ferry going there is shut down! rumours saying its coming alive in the near future.

Get the ferry to esbjerg and from there drive yourselves to kopenhagen on the E20-freeway.

Once in kopenhagen get to Malmo, sweden taking the bridge and from there take the E4-freeway heading north for Stockholm, halfway to Sthlm you reach Mantorp!

According to following research this route takes approx 810km, 8,5 hrs....driving legal speed that is LOL

Dont know if I misread some of your posts, read it all quickly, sorry if I assumed to much or misguided your intentions!

Nontheless, I hope some of you visit the event and I´d be more than happy to meet up with ya'll over a beer and have a great time...To be continued!

http://maps.google.se/maps?hl=sv&source=hp&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=esbjerg-kopenhagen&fb=1&gl=se&hq=esbjerg&hnear=-kopenhagen&ei=LDkAS4n_LtHZ-QbA1v3lCg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CC0QtgMwAg

Its pricey though, Harwich to Esbjerg in july next year is about £550 return for one car with two passengers from what i can find.

Guest Phyxius

yes I think so too, but shame the gas-prices are as is...dont know how long the ferryride might take though?

got to check it out, might come in handy once planning to import a car from uk! and take the same route as meantioned back home.

you can spend all that money for a return crossing to Esbjerg but you can also go via The Netherland (Hoek Van Holland) because that`s alot cheaper and from HvH you can make a roadtrip to the ferry wich is Puttgarden/Rodby and then you have 2 option left and that`s the crossing via the bridge to Sweden or the next ferry wich is Helsingör/Helsingborg

i`ve calculated that the trip from HvH to Mantorp is about 813miles or 1300km

i hope this has been helpfull to you all

• 4 weeks later...
Have the dates been released for this yet?

Only some of them:

Gatebil on Ice: unknown

Gatebil on Vålerbanen(Norway): 21-23 of May

Gatebil Sweden: Unknown

Gatebil Rudskogen(Norway): 9-11 July

Gatebil Bergen (Norway): 27-29 August

Gatebil Rudskogen: 10-12 September

So all in all, the most impportant date is still missing :cool:

• 2 months later...

Here's a little insight to my personal experiences from going to all GATEBIL Sweden and Norway events over the last three years:

Gatebil Rudskogen, Norway is by far the biggest event. This is the ultimate "GATEBIL" event attracting up to 45 000 spectators/participants. The track is cool and allows you to get pretty close to the action if you are spectating - compared to the usual UK tracks I guess you can call it intimate (that goes for the rest of the event as well :D).

Gatebil Mantorp, Sweden is the best event from a driving perspective - it's a high speed track (pretty mental time attack, 120 mph+ drift entries). It's well suited to long legged Supras. Great atmosphere. We've had perfect weather for three years in a row now, and I think it's the best event on the calendar.

I'd HIGHLY recommend you to plan for two weeks and take part at both events! Hook me up if you're going, would be great to chat it up with fellow Supe heads :)

I've been looking at this and its a shame its so costly to get there and back which ever way you go.

Harwich to Hook ferry is approx £240 return, 2000km return drive = 1250 miles = at 20mpg £312 in fuel at £5 per gallon

Dover to Calais ferry from £50 return. 2400km return drive = 1500miles = at 20mpg £375 in fuel at £5 per gallon

Dover to Calais tunnel from £44 return. 2400km return drive = 1500 miles = at 20 mpg £375 in fuel at £5 per gallon

Obviously addding your mileage in the uk to get to the ferry crossing.

For me in B'ham theres only 15 miles differance going via either Dover or Harwich but it adds another £100 to the return fuel bill

Cheapest from B'ham is approx £520 going via the tunnel ! + Ferry and or toll charges once your across the channel.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I've been looking at this and its a shame its so costly to get there and back which ever way you go.

Harwich to Hook ferry is approx £240 return, 2000km return drive = 1250 miles = at 20mpg £312 in fuel at £5 per gallon

Dover to Calais ferry from £50 return. 2400km return drive = 1500miles = at 20mpg £375 in fuel at £5 per gallon

Dover to Calais tunnel from £44 return. 2400km return drive = 1500 miles = at 20 mpg £375 in fuel at £5 per gallon

Obviously addding your mileage in the uk to get to the ferry crossing.

For me in B'ham theres only 15 miles differance going via either Dover or Harwich but it adds another £100 to the return fuel bill

Cheapest from B'ham is approx £520 going via the tunnel !

Dover to dunkirk is cheaper too and 20 miles less in France too :D

Cheers

-Ian-

Dover to dunkirk is cheaper too and 20 miles less in France too :D

Cheers

-Ian-

Well spotted :thumbs:

Its actually a chunk less mileage wise, 37 miles calais to dunkerque so nearly 80 miles return trip approx £20 in fuel and looks silly cheap on the crossing

• 2 weeks later...

then you still have to calculate the ferry(`s) to sweden!

it`s called Scandlines and it`s from Puttgarden/Rodby and then from Helsingör/Helsingborg or you take the bridge from Kopenhagen/Malmö

but eighterway you have to take the first ferry

then you still have to calculate the ferry(`s) to sweden!

it`s called Scandlines and it`s from Puttgarden/Rodby and then from Helsingör/Helsingborg or you take the bridge from Kopenhagen/Malmö

but eighterway you have to take the first ferry

You don't HAVE to take the first ferry, as theres are brides through all of Denmark (total cost approx £60)

This all sounds great, but I think the cost is just too prohibitive. Running a Supra AND doing Gatebil all in one lifetime? Serious?! Ha ha!

Good luck and happy driving to all those who do get to go - it sounds like an awesome trip. For what it's worth, I'd pick the Sweden one, if I had the cash.