The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT35r DBB Kit, how much and where?

Scott

The HKS kit has everything needed for the turbo install (all fittings, gaskets, hoses, etc.), it comes with instruction but only in Japanese, I'll see if there is an English version available that I can get hold of.

The only thing that *may* need a bit of fab work to fit would be the turbo-FMIC pipe, as it is designed to fit an HKS FMIC, you may also want to fit the BOV boss onto this at the same time.

I'd also budget for gauges if you don't already have and boost controller if you want control over boost levels (wastegate is available with different spring rates if not). RLTC would also be worth adding to the list, the GT35R spools up very quickly so 1st and 2nd gear traction can take some gentle throttle control.

The HKS kit has everything needed for the turbo install (all fittings, gaskets, hoses, etc.), it comes with instruction but only in Japanese, I'll see if there is an English version available that I can get hold of.

The only thing that *may* need a bit of fab work to fit would be the turbo-FMIC pipe, as it is designed to fit an HKS FMIC, you may also want to fit the BOV boss onto this at the same time.

I'd also budget for gauges if you don't already have and boost controller if you want control over boost levels (wastegate is available with different spring rates if not). RLTC would also be worth adding to the list, the GT35R spools up very quickly so 1st and 2nd gear traction can take some gentle throttle control.

I have AFR, EGT & Boost gauges going into the car as I type. The boost & EGT gauges are cheap but they seem accurate as they are giving the same readings as my previous gauges (HKS) did. The AFR gauge is Innovate with an LC-1 so hopefully i can trust that.

RLTC is something that I would buy later in life, I don't want to be settling a divorce due to adding more and more on not necessary at the time lol. I know what you mean though Nic, it is on my list of things to get at some point. Is the facelift TC not regarded as being OK? I know its nowhere near RLTC capabilities.

AFAIK the Solaris has the boost control built into the map, from what I have read it's very good at it. I kept adding a boost controller to the list but people kept reminding me that it wasn't necessary with this particular ECU.

I can put one of my turbo kits together an GT35R if needed Scott.

I'll definitely be in touch once I am ready to take the plunge, the manifolds you guys are doing look stunning, thanks Paul.

I read 550-600? I think Nic got almost 580, but that was with cams.

I'm aiming for 550, if I can get that without cams then I will be over the moon.

if it helps, i run the GT35R, PE650's and AEM mapped by Ryan G. i got just under 500bhp on stock cams. Ryan suggested changing the cams to 264's. should hit 550 then i believe

if it helps, i run the GT35R, PE650's and AEM mapped by Ryan G. i got just under 500bhp on stock cams. Ryan suggested changing the cams to 264's. should hit 550 then i believe

That sounds very low, is everything working ok? What boost was that at? FMIC? One of the guys on here cracked 600bhp at 2bar. 1.6-1.8 is about the optimum for this tubby is it not?

Dont be obsessing over xxxbhp. The 35R is more about response than its outright power. Remember, to some its more about power under the curve.

Thats what its all about for me. I'm just looking for low down response with a fair bit more poke up top. Perfect turbo for me and my style of driving to be honest. Anything more than that would be completely wasted, this will only be partially wasted on me lol.

I would expect to see 550 if everything is in order though.

Why?

Seems to be about the going rate @ 1.6 bar on a healthy engine. If i'm not seeing what other people are seeing then I would think something is wrong.

I'm hardly going to spend all that money then be happy getting less power than I expected to get for my dough.

Just seems a bit odd. You started asking for advice, when 2 people gave you what looks to be real world answers, you asked if their cars were ok?! Crazy!

When i did my original build, i wasnt fussed what power it would have made. Picked a turbo and balanced everything else to it, and thats about what im doing again.

You have an idea in mind, but no way would i be gutted if it made less than another persons similar car. As long as it drove ok, and better than BPU, i couldnt care less!

So you are telling me, if you build it up and it makes 549 at 1.6 bar, you will be pissed off?!

Just seems a bit odd. You started asking for advice, when 2 people gave you what looks to be real world answers, you asked if their cars were ok?! Crazy!

When i did my original build, i wasnt fussed what power it would have made. Picked a turbo and balanced everything else to it, and thats about what im doing again.

You have an idea in mind, but no way would i be gutted if it made less than another persons similar car. As long as it drove ok, and better than BPU, i couldnt care less!

So you are telling me, if you build it up and it makes 549 at 1.6 bar, you will be pissed off?!

Not at all, within 5% of what i should be hitting is fine for me. If i was 50 or 100 down i would be worried. As I said I was getting mixed up when i commented previously. Just under 500 without the cams is normal as far as I am aware. If i got that I would be happy.

That sounds very low, is everything working ok? What boost was that at? FMIC? One of the guys on here cracked 600bhp at 2bar. 1.6-1.8 is about the optimum for this tubby is it not?

everything was fine and has been(till lately but thats a different problem) that was at 1.5 bar with a blitz front mount, like i said though Ryan suggested cams as the stock one were not able to keep up i believe he said, so maybe cams might be a good idea if you want more bhp. it does spool very fast though with little to no lag

everything was fine and has been(till lately but thats a different problem) that was at 1.5 bar with a blitz front mount, like i said though Ryan suggested cams as the stock one were not able to keep up i believe he said, so maybe cams might be a good idea if you want more bhp. it does spool very fast though with little to no lag

Apologies, I was getting mixed up with the figures. Have had a lot of them in my head over the past couple of days lol. That sounds very healthy :)

I read 550-600? I think Nic got almost 580, but that was with cams.

I'm aiming for 550, if I can get that without cams then I will be over the moon.

Mine dynoed at around 540hp at 1.3bar with in255/ex264 cams, see dno HERE. You could get more out of it by turning up the boost.

Mine dynoed at around 540hp at 1.3bar with in255/ex264 cams, see dno HERE. You could get more out of it by turning up the boost.

I hate to ask whilst you're still recovering Nic, but did the car erm... ever get recovered as well? :(

Congratulations on 18k posts btw :)

Impressive figures on 1.3bar. Wondering what to do with my setup once I've got a decent ECU and a better gearbox in it.