The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap 4.7 TT

JamieP

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Jamie, I wasn't meaning you mate, I just know that threads like these turn into arguements. Chris is entitled to his opinion much like everyone else is, but I fail to see why he honestly thinks his $20,000 motor is jusnk when (1) he's trying to sell it on, and (2) he only went so far as to have the motor delivered to shop who has his car. It's hard to label a motor junk when the motor is brand new and never even been turned over, much less never even been seen first hand by the person labeling it junk in the first place.

I'll add a couple things:

1.) I have personally seen this motor. I traveled to Winter Park, FL on March 19 of this year and saw firsthand the motor and the tight clearances it had in my engine bay, including the driver's side exhaust manifold sitting on the frame rail. My primary concern from the time I agreed to purchase this motor and turbo package was how everything would co-exist in those tight quarters from a heat perspective. Once the motor was put in my car and the shop got a chance to look at cowboy bebop's car and motor in their facility, we had discussions on how to proceed with the build. At the end of the day, I didn't have confidence that my original concerns could adequately be addressed, so I pulled the plug and am going back to the 2JZ.

2.) I am labeling the motor as worthless precisely because I am trying to sell the motor/turbo package. I can't in good conscience advertise the motor as being worth anything to potential purchasers under the following conditions:

* The only other example of this motor/turbo combo being swapped into the MKIV chassis has a documented max dyno of 380 RWHP on Q16 fuel, a number easily attainable with the 2JZ-GTE on stock twins with BPU upgrades on pump 93 US fuel. I have not seen an answer to the question of why the motor has not been tuned for high boost that would satisfy a serious potential purchaser.

* After being prominently documented, for all intents and purposes advertised, on Supraforums.com for close to three years, all information on the aforementioned car and motor was deleted from the primary forum in the US for anyone interested in this motor swap. No public reason was given on that forum.

* The aforementioned car was put up for sale in September on Supraforums.com and on
eBay
. When questions were asking about why the motor had only been tuned for low boost, if overheating concerns were valid, and why the car was being sold after such a long and public build, the for sale thread was deleted. No public reason was given on that forum.

* Comments on Supraforums.com regarding the motor in cowboy bebop's car open questions about the design and build quality on my motor. See
here
here
, and
here

* Given the lack of
documented
success in producing high HP from this motor swap into the MKIV chassis, I would have to spend at the minimum an additional ±$10K USD (on top of the ±$26K USD already spent on the motor, turbo kit, and ECU) to get it running and tuned in my car to demonstrate the value of the motor to a potential purchaser. There is no value in that to me.

That being said, the motor may work for whomever buys it, I can't say with certainty one way or another. But I also can't point to anything that would assure a potential purchaser of what they are getting; without that, the motor has essentially no value. So I am selling the turbo kit for a reasonable price, ±$3000 USD, and the motor comes with it as a throw-away. If it works, great; if not, they have no beef with me as I didn't (and couldn't) warrant anything regarding the motor.

Chris

I would be too Michel, even just for a project to mess around with on an engine stand that would be worth a punt.

Absolute bargain, can't believe it hasn't been snapped up. Probably around £300-£500 sheets to get shipped over. Might be cheaper ways of doing it though.

You guys have read the thread on supraforum?

Nah ... should we?

It does make an interesting read and raise some very interesting questions regarding the work done on the engine build in the bits I read. I am sure there is more information available.

I did, seems that the engine could be put right with a head rebuild and some checks on the piston sizes.

Would be a big job to get the cooling working properly. I don't have the spare money to throw at it, or the space to take on a project of that size, but if I did I would definitely be interested.

The turbo's and kit are most of the way there. The engine needs a bit of work and a lot of checks done to make sure its fit for purpose and the shoehorning job along with the cooling and space issues is going to be a bitch. Thats what projects are all about though. Call it 2.5k to the UK, your brakes were more than that Jamie.

Not so sure a head rebuild would actually help... There are some interesting claims as to work regarding the porting and polishing.

Sorry thats what i meant. Re-porting and re-polishing it. I know that there might be a few issues with the head... but its a free engine. Even if it was 100% totally useless as an engine it would make a cracking coffee table.

I don't think the engine is un-salvageable. Thats basically all I mean. For the money involved it's a bargain, as long as the turbo's are good lol.

Sorry thats what i meant. Re-porting and re-polishing it. I know that there might be a few issues with the head... but its a free engine. Even if it was 100% totally useless as an engine it would make a cracking coffee table.

I don't think the engine is un-salvageable. Thats basically all I mean. For the money involved it's a bargain, as long as the turbo's are good lol.

No, re-porting and re-polishing are out the question if indeed there is some basis to the work problems. It has been suggested that perhaps a little TOO much material has been removed..

Call it 2.5k to the UK, your brakes were more than that Jamie.

Say its needs new heads and a full rebuild? add that to the what would be a rather large install cost and without knowing if it will even work in a supra well (sorry but cowboys very short low boost video proves nothing to me) and it could work out to cost a massive amount of money and be a real pita.

Even the owner thats trying to sell the engine labels it as Junk, big risk imo.

Cowboy bepop seems a nice fella to me, ive loved reading his build thread and he has always conducted himself in a good manor, but deleting all the posts and pics on supraforum and not answering any questions has done his rep for himself or the products he is selling no good imo.

I just dont want you guys to get stung:)

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

I agree but i'm talking about a long term project where you carry all the work out on your own. I'm not talking about buying it and fitting it in a matter of weeks/months. I'm talking months/years.

Take your car for example, your supra is your toy and you treat it as such. You must be close to 40k on the car by now are you not? It has to be a hobby and cash that is purely used for pleasure (other than the hooker money).

Take this engine and spend some money on a facelift N/A 6spd that leaves you around 34k to get it done. If i didn't have change from 34k after getting that engine into a supra I would be worried. I would be expecting to have 20k worth of toys to go in along with the supra in fact.

Look at the people who are genuinely interested. They will be carrying out any of the work themselves. Most likely on a supra sitting in the back corner getting worked on for a few hours a week.

Could be wrong, but that would be my intention.

I'd sooner pull them from Supraforums than my products be accused of what they are being acused of. No matter what I say or do it will never be good enough it seems, so yes, I decided to pull the threads and offer no more dealings with SF. It's my fault for being honest in what it takes to do a build, but I try an disclose both the easy parts and the hurdles to overcome. That's a damn sight more than a lot of other poeple would do. For what it's worth Jamie, I've answered question since 2006 regarding the builds, and even today (this day) take phone calls on it.

I agree but i'm talking about a long term project where you carry all the work out on your own. I'm not talking about buying it and fitting it in a matter of weeks/months. I'm talking months/years.

Take your car for example, your supra is your toy and you treat it as such. You must be close to 40k on the car by now are you not? It has to be a hobby and cash that is purely used for pleasure (other than the hooker money).

Take this engine and spend some money on a facelift N/A 6spd that leaves you around 34k to get it done. If i didn't have change from 34k after getting that engine into a supra I would be worried. I would be expecting to have 20k worth of toys to go in along with the supra in fact.

Look at the people who are genuinely interested. They will be carrying out any of the work themselves. Most likely on a supra sitting in the back corner getting worked on for a few hours a week.

Could be wrong, but that would be my intention.

Months/years sounds like agro to me:D

I dont see where my car or what ive spent has anything to do with this tbh.

If anyone takes this on i hope it works out for them, this is my last post in this thread.:)

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)