The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HSD coilovers v's TEIN's

Guest EncoreWRC

I don't believe you can buy any worthwhile height adjustable or height and damping adjustable dampers for 800 quid a set. Do you need adjustable ones? You can easily alter the ride height with Bilsteins by machining additional lower spring seat circlip grooves, it's just that you can't adjust the height with them on the car. Why would you want to adjust height once set anyway? People who try and set the height to stop incorrect wheel and tyre packages fouling the rear arches are beyond help, they are compounding one major faux pas with another, not saying this is your issue, but I get asked about this all the time when I question the need for height adjustment ;) Similarly, adjustable damping is probably not needed, once the damper is calibrated to the spring rate, and the weight of the car, it's probably good for road and track day usage. To be brutal, a budget of 800 quid is wasted on new dampers, you won't get anything as good as stock Bilsteins, you are just buying ride height adjustment on lousy internals.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I went for adjustables was so that I could have the car as low as possible while still being able to get into my garage. My first choice was stocks with RSR lowering springs, trouble there was i had TRD dampers which had a really low seating so the car was slammed anyway.

If i went with a set of billies i had no guarantee that they would be fit for purpose so my only option was to go with something i could adjust to the setting i was after. The only thing that changes with my shocks now is the rebound.

I can supply new German made Bilsteins with stock or modified valving ready machined to give a range of ride heights by moving the circlip up and down, and a guide as to which groove will raise or lower the car X amount from stock with a given pair of springs.

May I assume you can supply these with most preset ride heights the customer could want, - non adjustable?

So if i was going for vvti springs and new stock top mounts with your best quality bilsteins would you think that a good idea?

If so how much for the bilsteins?

My first choice was stocks with RSR lowering springs, trouble there was i had TRD dampers which had a really low seating so the car was slammed anyway.

The TRD/Bilstein dampers have 3 position height adjustment, they are adjusted by moving the circlip and spring seat as Chris describes above.

The TRD ones i had weren't. They were fixed in place.

TRD only made one damper type for the Supra, they all had height adjustment. They do not have a screw type adjustment, there are 3 grooves around the body of the damper, which the spring seat can be moved up or down into.

TRD only made one damper type for the Supra, they all had height adjustment. They do not have a screw type adjustment, there are 3 grooves around the body of the damper, which the spring seat can be moved up or down into.

Mine must have been fake then as mine didn't have that. I had them in bits to do it then realised the grooves weren't there....

No grooves

http://www.scotster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Supra/Suspension/billies2.jpg

£120 each as stock, £145 each with circlip groove height adjustment, +£60 each with custom valving. I have 2 full sets of new stock Bilsteins on the shelf. To have them with threaded adjustable lower seats for stock type spring forms would be an extra £75 each I think, but would need to check current hardware prices. I can do custom springs, but one off sets are very expensive in stock shape spring form.

May I assume you can supply these with most preset ride heights the customer could want, - non adjustable?

So if i was going for vvti springs and new stock top mounts with your best quality bilsteins would you think that a good idea?

If so how much for the bilsteins?

You track the car a lot don't you? If so VVti springs are too soft, unless you value a good ride on the road, too. If it's more of a road / track day car I can supply my own custom wound springs with custom valved Bilsteins at a starting price of £1000

Mine must have been fake then as mine didn't have that. I had them in bits to do it then realised the grooves weren't there....

They look genuine, are you sure they are not on the lowest groove and the other grooves are not covered by the spring seat?

They look genuine, are you sure they are not on the lowest groove and the other grooves are not covered by the spring seat?

Na, i checked and double checked. You can see in the pic there is nothing above them.

I just assumed they were a different model. I think they were on the car from the dealer. Came with the black TRD springs too.

You track the car a lot don't you? If so VVti springs are too soft, unless you value a good ride on the road, too. If it's more of a road / track day car I can supply my own custom wound springs with custom valved Bilsteins at a starting price of £1000

If it's quality stuff, then the price is fine, especially when I compare to Aragosta or the like.

I am knocking track days on the head soon, so mainly fast road use is the aim.

I would be thinking of a setup that doesnt crash over bumps, but has the car handling well.

I would say it would be ideal for your usage. I can do a set with revalved damping and custom springs to still give a compliant ride, but to tighten up handling when pressing on. I'll work out a price on Monday. Being in northern Ireland acarriage won't be an issue :)

I am trying to get a friends Aragostas fixed on his RX-7 but no one has bits and they are leaking and knocking after less than 5000 miles.

• 3 weeks later...
I would say it would be ideal for your usage. I can do a set with revalved damping and custom springs to still give a compliant ride, but to tighten up handling when pressing on. I'll work out a price on Monday. Being in northern Ireland acarriage won't be an issue :)

I am trying to get a friends Aragostas fixed on his RX-7 but no one has bits and they are leaking and knocking after less than 5000 miles.

OK Chris PM me a price please.

• 1 month later...

Just to bump this...

Chris -

My uk spec has stock dampers with eibach lowering springs. Which i like, but now the shocks are gone its a bit "crashy" and im ready for a new set.

I was torn between some teins or some HSD's but after reading your comments im rethinking things a little.

I was happy with the ride, although the car does sit a little low. my active spoiler was destroyed by speed bumps and id like to put a new front lip on the car without having to worry about it.

The car is a road car which i do the odd track day in and ill take down the drag strip a bit.

Are something like HSDs coilovers going to be pointless for my use (i just want to have a hight ajustment for asthetics and to avoid destroying a new lip which i want to put on the car (which i know you probably hate ;) ) and that will still work when i take it to the track.

To my mind the HSD coilovers will do what i want just fine. I could replace my shocks with something but i would still have the problem with the front spoiler getting ripped off by speed bumps because of the lowered springs.

help:help::drown:

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

I was happy with the ride, although the car does sit a little low. my active spoiler was destroyed by speed bumps and id like to put a new front lip on the car without having to worry about it.

The car is a road car which i do the odd track day in and ill take down the drag strip a bit.

I drive my car exclusively on the road (might track it once or twice this year) and I went for the HSD setup for EXACTLY this very reason and am happy with it.

The ride is stiff yet comfortable, I have RAISED the front by 10mm and this now easily cruises over the bumps without breaking a sweat.

I remember having Uk's with eibachs, it turned crashy and it was awful.

I have used HSD on the 350Z, and TBH they were pants on track, stock rear outperformed. They tend to be massive spring rates with soft dampers, and while they may feel good at first, the handling wasn't very confidence inspriring on B roads.

I have used HKS, JIC and experienced teins many times, but still think CW has it sussed best for our UK roads, hence why i now run his. Value for money too.

• 2 weeks later...

Really surprised you'd say that about the 350Z set Cheifgroover, but maybe we need to look at the 350Z sets in more detail. None of us own 350Zs and we only have customer feedback to go off, so your comments are invaluable.

We've got more experience with Supras and haven't ever heard anything like you're saying about them.

I'd love to have had your 350Z here to have a play with the setup, I can confidently say I am "fussy" about the way a car handles, and would have tweaked it until it worked beautifully. To be honest, the 350Z coilover market is pretty small-fry in this country, so we've not done a great deal of R&D work outside of the HSD factory 'default' kit.

I still stand by the Supra setup being superb and suitable for everything described above. I can only apologise that the 350Z kit didn't meet your demands, I remember dealing with you in the first place and wish you'd come back to us when you owned it, I would have liked to have worked to make it better for you!