The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Setup of winter wheels and tyres - advice

HadeS

Im running pirelli wintersports at the minute, 225 front and rear with (unstaggered stock 16s) and the car is easy enough to keep under control although i would much prefer some studded tyres but they dont come cheap :(

Probably because they are illegal on uk roads. :)

Studded tyres are a bit pointless over here half the time once your off the backroads the roads are mostly clear anyway. Arround here they are anyway.

Winter tyres are fantastic.

Yes they are!

I can't go back now, snow is 6-10" to get to my house and they work a treat.

Even on the main roads where folks are driving like they have trays of eggs in the boot, I'm able to drive normally.

I did some test driving/emergency stops to find the limits of the tyres in different conditions so, I have a better understanding of them (while I was on my own and no other cars around) still, it’s not a license to go mad or drive fast, remember a lot of folks can’t stop that quick and you will be caught out yourself! as they do have their limits but, I feel much safer driving with them on.

If winters continue like this, it should be law that you have to fit them…..the number of people who you can see are in trouble with traction, it’s just dangerous! for them an others.

NOTE: This is in a family car, not the supra.

I am using winter/snow tyres with UK spec wheels, standard profile and size. Working really well, did not get stuck, been driving in 6/7 inches of snow and frozen hill as well. I saw a supra stuck this morning on icy road, I drove past fine.[GRIN][/GRIN]

Got some Hankook Icebear W300 in 235/40 18 all round for the Supra now. Yet got to test them but conditions are great for testing here in Germany now :D

Some have said it already Winter Tyres make a really BIG Difference in snow and temperatures under 3-4°C. They are mandatory here since first of November this year. Although the law for this still sucks IMHO and should be changed to be time Dependent and not depending on the weather conditions. I would recommend everyone regardless of the car being RWD, FWD or AWD to buy and drive with winter tyres especially when there's snow. ;)

We've got three different sets of winter tyres altogether....

205/55/16 Wintersports on the Mazda 6, Wintercontact TS810 on the Supra (225/50/17 and 245/45/17 although I fitted them and haven't took it out the garage since.....wimp!) and a set of Vredestein Snowtrac 3's in 195/65/15 waiting to go on the new Focus daily driver when the garage finally opens and I can go get it. I also just bought a set of Maxxis Presa Snow for my mum's Astra coupe as she is struggling on her 18's!! :)

Let's hope mytyres.co.uk deliver as planned so the old dear will be mobile by Xmas!! :D

They make a huuuge difference on the auto Mazda. Normally it is undriveable on ice or snow - no joke. It would simply spin the wheels pretty much at idle with with the normal Avon tyres on and now I haven't yet found a road that has caused me a problem (wet slush, sheet ice, compacted snow, fresh thick snow up to 3"). The big thing really is the braking on ice is much improved and afterall, that's arguably the most important thing.

Edit: Attached is a snap of the Dunlop Wintersport tread pattern on snow compared to a normal tyre.

Normal tyre tread.JPG

Winter tyre tread.JPG

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

Just had a set on winter tyres fitted as fed up scaring myself too often in the snow. Was running stock 17" with Toyo rubber and was not good at all.

Had a spare set of stock 16" rims (16x8 front, 16x9 rear) so fitted some of these.

4 x 225/50R16 FULDA KRISTALL SUPREMO M+S

Fulda website says can be fitted to 8 or 9" rims and they fitted fine. Went on 9" rim and inflated first time. Looks OK too with v slight rim protrusion.

Even with the 225 on the rear traction was amazing. On the Toyos even at idle would spin up the rears on snow. Now can put my down pretty hard and RLTC doesn't even murmur. Amazing.

Recommended - get the smallest width that will fit your current rims or get a set of cheap 16" stockers. Having googled a lot, 16" rubber is much much cheaper than 17" and up.

I paid £125 a corner, fitted on my driveway by:

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/

They did say I had the last 4 Fuldas in stock in that size though....