The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ordered some parts for my single build

Ricky49

You'd be suprised how good the big brakes are like Brembo/AP, its honestly one of the best mods you can do.

Catch tank wise, you can plumb it back in to the air filter pipe, personally I wouldn't do it like that. All that hot air and oily crap going back into your air intake/engine, not the best.

Pricey though but if Im going to do it I may aswell do it once and do it properly.

I have a 16 row oil cooler which you did Paul would this need to be bigger.

God the price is moving in the wrong direction.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pricey though but if Im going to do it I may aswell do it once and do it properly.

If you have UK brakes, you can do the brakes later, its just one of things is nice to have.

16 row cooler will be fine for road useage, might struggle a bit on the track depending on how mad you go, track layout, air temps, etc.

Its never ending mate, once you start you cant stop, its a very big slippery slope. I've got to stop myself buying stuff for mine on a daily basis, there's always something!

A few people just put a filter on the cam cover as a cheap way of doing it, this will work but if the engine pops and chucks its oil out on the hot turbo you will be in trouble, you could use a lenth of hose and vent it under the car, i had mine like this for a long time.

16 row oil cooler will be fine, i dont have a oil cooler at present on my car as mine split, will get another on soon though.

No offence first of all ok !

Your list looks like a selection of the "highlights" of this forums big power cars and not a selection of well thought out parts that will work in harmony with each other

take a step back before you spend your £1000's as the pit falls are many and the costs soon mount up if you get it wrong

As said, talk to a tuner like Paul and a mapper like Ryan BEFORE you buy anything, tell them what you want from the car HONESTLY, dont build for massive BHP (intake changes ETC) if you want a street monster, 500 true BHP is very quick for the street, work to a spec that allows some increase in power later so you dont get bored and make sure the supporting mods (brakes, suspension, cooling etc) can handle it

Once done it as an amazing experinece, one that I have done a few times, spent thousands and never really got right because I never followed the above rules !:)

No offence first of all ok !

Your list looks like a selection of the "highlights" of this forums big power cars and not a selection of well thought out parts that will work in harmony with each other

take a step back before you spend your £1000's as the pit falls are many and the costs soon mount up if you get it wrong

As said, talk to a tuner like Paul and a mapper like Ryan BEFORE you buy anything, tell them what you want from the car HONESTLY, dont build for massive BHP (intake changes ETC) if you want a street monster, 500 true BHP is very quick for the street, work to a spec that allows some increase in power later so you dont get bored and make sure the supporting mods (brakes, suspension, cooling etc) can handle it

Once done it as an amazing experinece, one that I have done a few times, spent thousands and never really got right because I never followed the above rules !:)

I understand what your saying and it will be taken on board.

I have spoken to a few people who know what they are on about and they have said you should have this and that build for when you get board and want more power.

But I dont think that would be me I'm sure around 600 geegees would be enough for me.

I want it to be a quick driveable road car so I doubt I would go in to the 700+ bhp area.

But a phone call to Ryan G is in order.

tooquick is 100% right in everything he said above :)

Some of the items on your original list have no relevance to the requirements for the single build. You already have a decent brake setup, no need to fine tune that.

The single build should be the primary thing to concentrade on for now. As has been mentioned, it'd be best practice to have a chat with a few of the tuners on here (Whifbitz, AFR, Chris Wilson, MVP, PHR, etc, in no particular order) and see what they recommend.

Then, after you have spoken to a ferw traders and Ryan you will be best informed to make a decision on the parts you need to build an engine suited to your needs.

After that is done, then obviously the geo needs to be done.

From personal experience, 600bhp is a lot to aim for. Not wishing to take sound like a grandad, but have you ever driven a genuine 600bhp supra? I had a 545bhp one and to be honest I don't think I'd want any more power for road use. On the track, yes, a little more top end would have been nice, but as a weekend road car it was more than enough.

After I have spoken to these companies for advice I will still need to buy most of these parts surely or similar.

Maybe not the DLI, Intake manifold, rad and water/meth kit.

Agreed but you start with the basics

1. Check you current engine is healthy and ready for a single, a tuner can run a compression test

2. Choose your mapper and tuner, all of them do things silghtly differently and at different budgets, some offer both services

3.I would choose one who has built many proven single Supras, there are several

4. Choose what you want to car to be like to drive/live with, street 500 bhp, with a further 100 or so to spare sounds like the right car for you

5. Get the right set up for this power, 800cc injectors maybe over kill, a T04Z also maybe too much, you want optimum spool speed and power, some of the new billet turbos are putting out great power with quick spool (you will wait to get one), the T61-T67 DBB will also give an easy 550 bhp

6. Get the right supporting mods and buy quality including manifold, downpipe, fuel pump, intercooler, wastegate, exhaust, ECU, injectors, oil cooler, catch can, AFR Gauge, EGT gauge, Oil pressure gauge

7.Cams will help with top end but as JamieP has shown the stock head will deliver good power and more than enough for your current needs

8. Build with spare cash in the bank, you will need it, think about replacing the oil pump and water pump, I think it is worth it, a CAM belt, AUX belt and crank pulley change is a good idea to and of course an engine service

I am sure I have missed out loads as I am thinking quickly, really demonstrates my point as it happens, this is a project that takes time and planning, do it right and you will have one of the fastest cars on the road, get it wrong and you will soon fall out of love with it and when you sell it will never cover the cost :)

Agreed but you start with the basics

1. Check you current engine is healthy and ready for a single, a tuner can run a compression test

2. Choose your mapper and tuner, all of them do things silghtly differently and at different budgets, some offer both services

3.I would choose one who has built many proven single Supras, there are several

4. Choose what you want to car to be like to drive/live with, street 500 bhp, with a further 100 or so to spare sounds like the right car for you

5. Get the right set up for this power, 800cc injectors maybe over kill, a T04Z also maybe too much, you want optimum spool speed and power, some of the new billet turbos are putting out great power with quick spool (you will wait to get one), the T61-T67 DBB will also give an easy 550 bhp

6. Get the right supporting mods and buy quality including manifold, downpipe, fuel pump, intercooler, wastegate, exhaust, ECU, injectors, oil cooler, catch can, AFR Gauge, EGT gauge, Oil pressure gauge

7.Cams will help with top end but as JamieP has shown the stock head will deliver good power and more than enough for your current needs

8. Build with spare cash in the bank, you will need it, think about replacing the oil pump and water pump, I think it is worth it, a CAM belt, AUX belt and crank pulley change is a good idea to and of course an engine service

I am sure I have missed out loads as I am thinking quickly, really demonstrates my point as it happens, this is a project that takes time and planning, do it right and you will have one of the fastest cars on the road, get it wrong and you will soon fall out of love with it and when you sell it will never cover the cost :)

I already have some of the items you have mentioned but I will (i need to) slow down and look into this better than I first thought.

Cheers for all your help and comments. I love my supe and want it to be a good build without any problems with it in the future.

The build wont be starting proberbly till next summer so I have time to get it right do my research and plan what I want.

I already have some of the items you have mentioned but I will (i need to) slow down and look into this better than I first thought.

so I have time to get it right do my research and plan what I want.

:thumbs:

Do your research, listen to the great advice from the guys that have done this before, don't rush into things and you will be in good stead to build an ideal car. Best of luck to you and ask any questions you have no matter how small they might seem.

:thumbs:

Do your research, listen to the great advice from the guys that have done this before, don't rush into things and you will be in good stead to build an ideal car. Best of luck to you and ask any questions you have no matter how small they might seem.

Cheers. I'm sure there will be plenty of questions I will need answering.

I pm'ed Ryan G a few days ago about what I wanted to do regarding the car, the spec I had choosen and what you guys had commented on.

Ryan had no negative commets about the parts I had ordered he just advised me to lose the turbo blanket as in his view these can cause more problems than do good.

Turbo wise he said I should look at a Boost logic kit or a Whifbitz kit.

They are 800cc, I had already ordered them so couldn't cancel.

Ryan didnt pick up that they were over the top when I told him what I wanted to use and neither had Paul Whiffin or Lee P of SRD.

I had a good chat with Paul Whiffin today when I picked the parts up and he advised me of what I should be looking atturbo kit wise.