The mkiv Supra Owners Club

guide:- how to paint your dash or any other part!

adnanshah247

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job:) and good write up, however there are a few things i would advise,

using 1500 grit for primer is a bit ott, in fact you are more likely to get bad adhesion, 800 is plenty for primmer, most of the time i use 600 or 800 before first colour coat.

Same goes for nibbing the lacquer anything over 1200 is pointless and time consuming, polishing compound will take care of everything else but G3 is also a little ott for that and will leave a certain amount of swirling.

I also wouldn't advocate machine polishing something like a plastic dash panel, as unless you get a mate to hold it firmly and are very careful or it will catch and get flung across the workshop and ruin your work.

However i am talking about using 2K paint, and as i don't know the quality and characteristics of the rattle cans the people buy from Halfords etc, i don't know if the same treatment would work for that.

One thing i would recommend is using a plastic primmer before anything else.

Nice job:) and good write up, however there are a few things i would advise,

using 1500 grit for primer is a bit ott, in fact you are more likely to get bad adhesion, 800 is plenty for primmer, most of the time i use 600 or 800 before first colour coat.

Same goes for nibbing the lacquer anything over 1200 is pointless and time consuming, polishing compound will take care of everything else but G3 is also a little ott for that and will leave a certain amount of swirling.

I also wouldn't advocate machine polishing something like a plastic dash panel, as unless you get a mate to hold it firmly and are very careful or it will catch and get flung across the workshop and ruin your work.

However i am talking about using 2K paint, and as i don't know the quality and characteristics of the rattle cans the people buy from Halfords etc, i don't know if the same treatment would work for that.

One thing i would recommend is using a plastic primmer before anything else.

thanks for that bud, yes for primer your better off using 600-800 for the forst coat, i have mentioned that somewhere on this thread. i always use g3 along with another polish. the 2nd polish gets rid of the swirling so thats how i do it, :)

rattle can paints ricky i have noticed require much more prep work, the paint comes out way thicker which you cant unfortunately control......

funny you say hold the panel when polishing! lol i sent my cars old dash a long time ago across the shed doing that! lol

Right, onto my second try. Ditched the Astral Black and went with Halfords Matt Black. It looks very nice - first coat applied lightly just enough but can still see primer behind it slightly. it dried to a very nice matt black but needed to put another coat on..

just sanded it a little (didnt use "wet" just used dry wet & dry 1500) and applied 2nd coat, going to leave that some 15 hours to dry overnight and whilst im at work..

Will just the paint (from a rattle can) be tough enough or should i lacquer it.. and if i lacquer it how do i stop it going shiney or .. dont i ? i dont want it shiney :)

Nice write up adnan:) i paint the lazy way, sand down 120grit use highbuild primer leave 5mins then spray standard primer WET coat. leave another 5mins spray basecoat 2coats third coat a WET coat,leave 10mins spray clearcoat 2 coats third WET coat. job done . that was remove dash panels spray and refit same day:d

Quick question here.. you know that part around the auto-shifter.. with the PRND21 thingey.. did you refurb that, or leave it? i can sort of figure out "how" to get it off but not quite sure how to sand it down, prime it and paint it with the gear indicators not.. "vanishing"

same for the odometer panel with the writing.. im not too fussed about the writing on that panel, but say for instance you were.. how are they handled? a case of sand over and then try to replace the writing later or sand around as carefully as possible ? and then the spraying.. bit confused bout them bits.

how did you approach it?

bit of writing on the dash panel that covers the odometer.. it just says "reset" and something else.. just gonna paint over it i think :)

Seen some other peoples dash conversions and it looks like they left the casing with PRND21 alone, so going to follow suit. cant figure out how to get it out of the dash and if i did oretty sure i couldnt do much because of the lettering etc. ive almost completed two parts of mine :)

bit of writing on the dash panel that covers the odometer.. it just says "reset" and something else.. just gonna paint over it i think :)

Seen some other peoples dash conversions and it looks like they left the casing with PRND21 alone, so going to follow suit. cant figure out how to get it out of the dash and if i did oretty sure i couldnt do much because of the lettering etc. ive almost completed two parts of mine :)

good job. lets see some pics when your done.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6084/27082009720.th.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7088/27082009721.th.jpg

Ash tray and shift stick surround..

even though the paint on the ash tray has had 3 days to dry it still marks a little too easy. thinking about lacquer but really dont want a glossy / shiny finish..

if i leave it to dry for a longer period does it get tougher? like.. 2 weeks or so?

also cleaned the lense up on the headlights whilst i was at it (and got the car working after shorting it with a socket wrench)

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4419/27082009713.th.jpg

Got something on the side of the passenger dash area too :( from previous owner.. some sort of gum or glue or something probably to hold a gps thing? any ideas for removal?

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2766/25082009706.th.jpg

Did you refurbish the driover side controls for the windows and central locking btw? mine looks a bit worn so was going to give it a try but not sure whether it can be done or not?

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3605/25082009703.th.jpg

Wouldnt have attempted this without your post in the first place though, and thoroughly enjoying it - so thanks for the write up :)

Edited by JS2004 (see edit history)

hehe quite possibly. the satin black finish i tried first was a bit too shiney, but a "shiny matt black" might be just right.

Ill try to figure out how to get that switcher control cover out tomorrow and give that a go.

edit.. post-lacquering.. really really brings the colour out, makes it look better.. v pleased :)

Edited by JS2004 (see edit history)

Absolutely 1st class write-up, Ad. Could you advise as to the placing of dash panels in a warm fan oven in order to speed up the drying process between coats?

This may also harden the paint better prior to lacquering.

A warm oven, obviously, just enough to bake the paint without the potential to melt the panels.

Wonder if anyone has ever tried this? Supraloopy?

Absolutely 1st class write-up, Ad. Could you advise as to the placing of dash panels in a warm fan oven in order to speed up the drying process between coats?

This may also harden the paint better prior to lacquering.

A warm oven, obviously, just enough to bake the paint without the potential to melt the panels.

Wonder if anyone has ever tried this? Supraloopy?

:taped::no::eek::D