The mkiv Supra Owners Club

guide:- how to paint your dash or any other part!

adnanshah247

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following this, very interesting :)

been out to halfords and got the wet & dry papers mentioned, some toyota astral black, grey primer and surface cleaner.

I took out the ash tray to make room for my mp3 player.. so im "testing" on the ash tray top.

one thing i noticed on the primer it says to go over the surface with 600grit paper to give the primer something to hold on to?

yeah you can go over with 600. do the first coat of primer on a 600 surface and then go over with 1500 then apply 2nd or 3rd coat.

Adnan you mention 1500 grit wet and dry for primer? This is polishing grade paper and not a good idea for primer. Also to all those rushing out to buy rattle cans. Remember if you mess it up the whole lot HAS to srtipped off as proper paint does not like acrylic rattle cans.

must proof read but dave i did a few times use 1500 on primer and the results were good, it made the surface so flat and smooth its unreal, after i put on the next few layers i didnt have to flat down the primer much at all.

as dave said!!! and like i said throughout the thread, screw it up and you will have to tear it all off, do it all over again!!! do it properly, take your time, read other guides on the net as well and you will do it once and perfectly. also dave is right, there a difference between can spray and gun spray. it did take me time to scrap off all the paint that was already on it.

Great write up Ad, I know exactly where I'm going wrong now, I'm too impatient & don't spend any time on prep work, :thumbs:

buddy we all do it. i used to as well! this thread was simply put for people who try and do this type of work themselves and muck it up. they can see now how much prep work actually needs to be done. a friend of mine was painting a wing, he sanded it once or twice with 2 different grades of paper, no cleaning or degreasing and wondered why his paint work looked crap. the more you sand, the more you clean, the more you prep the more shiney you paint work will be.

buddy we all do it. i used to as well! this thread was simply put for people who try and do this type of work themselves and muck it up. they can see now how much prep work actually needs to be done. a friend of mine was painting a wing, he sanded it once or twice with 2 different grades of paper, no cleaning or degreasing and wondered why his paint work looked crap. the more you sand, the more you clean, the more you prep the more shiney you paint work will be.

I sprayed my fusebox cover, no sanding, no primer, just 2 coats of paint with 5 mins inbetween :D

further more to this thread, if your unsure about something do post up the question here on the thread and ill explain in more detail about what ever you ask, its best to ask and learn than make a mistake and be stuck with it.

another tip:-

try your best to paint in the day, when i was painting the dash at night, a moth got in and sat on the dash were it got stuck and its wings left a mark! managed to sort it but wasted time.

Right i just finished the "test" painting.. i used the ashtray lid to try this all out on.

sanded down, primed etc yesterday, around 3 layers of primer done with probably 2 - 4 hours gap between them.

This morning i put on a layer of paint, then about 3 hrs later another layer, then another layer about 3 hrs after that.. (found it very hard to stop dust or tiny hairs in the air getting onto it though =/ )

anyways.. it came up nice but the paint felt "soft" to the touch, not sticky, just soft.. is this due to not leaving it to set long enough?

popped the ashtray in the dash etc to see how it looks.. thinking toyota astral black for the inside doesnt work :p gonna pick up some matte black tomorrow.. but when i was removing the ashtray it got knocked and took a chunk out (which was surprising as not knocked hard) of the side so ive had to re-sand it down.. should it be that easy to damage? the primer under it has had like 18 hours to set - did i miss a step?

either way im quite enjoying this DIY stuff =) :thumbs: for the guide :)

right buddy, if your paint is soft that mean you put way to much on and it was thick. the paint has made a layer on top that has hardened but there is paint between the top layer and surface which is still wet. imagine pushing a blister, thats how it is.

leaving the primer to set was good. what you should have done is applied one very small thin layer of paint, so that you could just about see the primer underneath. allow that to dry and then another thin layer and after that a final thin layer. paint shoudlnt be thick as it will do exactly what you have described.

as for the damage? did you put on a lacquer? lacquer is the thick clear coat you put on to give the paint that lovely shine. when lacquer is hard it protects the paint work underneath.

post up a pic and so i can have a quick look.

Edited by adnanshah247 (see edit history)

damn. yeah i think i did exactly what you described.. ill try the very thin layers of paint next.

I should have took a pic of it :( ive sanded the black paint off back down to the primer and re-applied a layer of primer again. i hadnt lacquered it so that must be why it chipped so easy.

It was a test piece to see what it would look like. Astral black on the dash seems to be too shiney, going to go with a matte now. Should lacquer be applied to that?

Once i get the matte black paint on it ill take pics hehe :)

The ashtray lid had that raised area and when i was sanding between layers the paper was taking off more stuff over that raised area so i think thats why i went a bit ott with the paint. didnt look bad for a first attempt but it did have "dimples" in it.. though it felt very smooth to the touch

Edited by JS2004 (see edit history)

well this morning leaving the lacquer enough time to dry on jamies pod i sanded down the surface with 2000. i know what your thinking! he sanded down a finished surface, idiot!

not really............... didnt get pictures of me doing jamies dash but i did my own piece to illustrate my points clearly.

when you apply lacquer and it dried you will notice a few little pimpels that come up. this happens every time you put on lacquer. lacquer needs to be 'flattened' down and made smooth. in order to do this you must sand down the surface gently with 1500-2000 grit paper. this flattens the surface but leaves a cloudy effect on your surface. DONT PANIC!

See here:-

you must then bring out some paint cutting compound. i use G3 compound. what this does is it slowly cuts away at the lacquer bringing out that shine once again. You can either by hand polish away which takes time and elbow grease or you can use a polishing mop. Be advised that you need to be able to use the mop properly to get the desired effect. I for a few minutes have rubbed in the compound on a little section and you can see the shine coming back to me:-

Information about using mops. Mops require constant lubrication and slow movement in order to NOT build up heat or friction. Below is a picture that I by purpose have done to illustrate to you guys that all your work can go down the pan if you polish in a rush. I used no water, full speed on my tool and look what it did to the dash:-

if your a novice and trying this at home then i personally suggest stay the hell away from the power tools, you can really destroy all your hard work and you will be seriously upset, think if you had put that effort in and when you had to do the last step your piece looks like that!!! put some elbow grease in and do it by hand with the compound and polishing clothes!!

SORRY MY BAD! i used to 2000 grit! editted! lol im half asleep been fasting all day! cut me some slack!

after i had finished with the G3 compound i used a very good quality car polish that gives it that spankers shine you need. i should really have taken more pics of jamie dash pod when i was finished.