The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why didn't they make a Supra Manual Aerotop?

Sheefa

I used to think that until I bought my auto aerotop. It is fantastic even with the manual mode its great.

Only thing I dislike is the auto changings gears to quickly when pottering around so you can't unleash the exhaust notes.

Manual mode solves that problem nicely :D

Racing... I mean driving *cough cough* the aerotop on country roads with the roof off is like a video game. Just accelerate and brake, whilst listening to the roar of the exhaust. I do miss that a lot. How I do miss that kick down sound.

This is essentially my concern. The aerotop sounds great... I guess I will have to have a go in one. There's something about autos that just feels odd to me though - again, I haven't driven one; but I haven't kissed a man either - the idea also feels odd, though an auto less so.

Anyway, to become coherent again... I suppose I need to have a go. So far, I have seen a lot more manuals that I would buy over aerotops. Hmmmm..... 1 year left until I have to decide anyway!

If you turn the O/D off, the autobox is brilliant around country roads. It has 4 gears remember. You concertrate on steering, the box takes car of everything else.

:yeahthat:

Turn off O/D and you have a great drive on country roads. Just accelerate and brake at the appropriate moments ;)

Why didn't they make a Supra Manual Aerotop?

Because no serious driver would consider either a convertible or an auto, obviously.

Either you're a real manual/coupe driver or you're a namby auto/cabrio driver!

:stickpoke

PS. Where's the "duck and cover" smiley? :D

Because no serious driver would consider either a convertible or an auto, obviously.

I like that idea :D

reason i think is anyone in this country with a soft top / aerotop, for some reason will want to drive it when its freezing and pissing down , probably just because they have it lol.

so in that case MR T realised that when soaking wet and cold you really need both cold hands on the steering wheel and not fumbling for gear shifts :p

Yep, echo most of the above.

The autobox is good for circa 400-450bhp tops IIRC. The manual box is a differen kettle of fish and the Getrag can handle upwards of 600 with a fair amount of ease from looking at past user experiences.

Turbofit used to do the whole Auto-Man conversion for £2,500 spot on. I can't remember who had one done but certainly a member here did. Not bad really, especially if you are wanting big single power, plus you could make that back upon resale - or near enough. Trouble is - it was Turbofit that did it! If it was a pro like Chris I would expect to pay upwards of £3k in labour. Possibly a job for yourself......not for me mind.

Personally, I think it's worth doing to have the ultimate Supra.

reason i think is anyone in this country with a soft top / aerotop, for some reason will want to drive it when its freezing and pissing down , probably just because they have it lol.

so in that case MR T realised that when soaking wet and cold you really need both cold hands on the steering wheel and not fumbling for gear shifts :p

Oi Mr Richards - don't be a wimp! I always see you single handedly(?) drifting around your cleaning van. Telling me you wouldn't and can't do that in an aero?! :innocent:

Oooohhhh! :( Not quite right matey. The Aerotop with the roof on is as solid as a rock. Went out with TrickTT years ago and it was superb in every way. I disagree. You telling me a Ferrari F430 Spider is for fanny drivers??

After reading that SF thread of the ground up build by a Swede last year it seems that Japan was the only markets to get auto only with the rest of Europe (i.e non UK) and the US got the manuals plus it seems the US got all the aerotops and a 'hardtop' is a real rarity over there. Does anyone know if they got manual aerotops in Oz too or just Imports from JDM?

Obviously it's the creme del la creme

I think it's worth doing to have the ultimate Supra.

Creme de la creme? Ultimate Supra?

To you, maybe. Personally I dislike aerotops and their Medallion-man/chestwig image. If all Supras were aerotops I wouldn't have bought one.

It is a big job and very expensive, i did it for 2 reasons i wanted to run big power and i wanted to be different at the time mine was the first single turbo 6 speed aerotop theres probably about 4 in total yeah they can be rubbish with the roof of but i only remove it when its at shows or just cruising around, it goes back on when i want to drive hard

It is a big job and very expensive, i did it for 2 reasons i wanted to run big power and i wanted to be different at the time mine was the first single turbo 6 speed aerotop theres probably about 4 in total yeah they can be rubbish with the roof of but i only remove it when its at shows or just cruising around, it goes back on when i want to drive hard

Not on about conversions. This thread is about stock TT 6 aeros, nothing to do with Single conversions, or blowing one's own trumpet for that matter