The mkiv Supra Owners Club

geometry q's

natony

how much adjustment is there in the geometry ?

the reason i ask is that ive just finished restoring my supra and have now put new wheels on (18's) and my rear wheels seem to have a lot of camber on them. i got a long spirit level and rested on the top off the wheel arch and the bottom of the wheel and at the top off the wheel there is a 24mm gap between the level and the rim which seems a lot too me

will an alignment take this out or does this point to something else ?

Edited by natony (see edit history)

the wheels are a 40 offset all round although it has tein coilovers they are set too the standard ride hight.

im starting to get worried because i did all the big no no's when i bought the car:rolleyes:. when i bought it it had light front end damage and i bought it in the dark and in the rain without driving it. it was then trailered to my house so in short ive owned to car 5 months and have spent over 5k fixing it up and ive still never driven it

wheels are 8" at the front with 225's and 9" at the rear with 265's

Edited by natony (see edit history)

when i bought it it had light front end damage and i bought it in the dark and in the rain without driving it. it was then trailered to my house so in short ive owned to car 5 months and have spent over 5k fixing it up and ive still never driven it

:blink:

What!!!

Oh well, nevermind, whats done is done. Doesn't neccessarily mean there is a big problem with the car, but we are either going to need to see pictures of the problem or you need to get it to somebody who can measure it up.

Also you didn't answer the question on whether you have had the rear suspension stripped off or not.

Guest proburt

I have 18's as well and have a similar issue, not shure if its quite that bad, but have had new tires and alligned to factory spec and it still tends to wear on the inside of the rear tires,

here is a product that is designed specifically for this purpose from MVP, kind of expensive tho.

*New Product* - Powerhouse Racing Control Arm Pair for 1993-98 Supra

Part # PHR Control Arms

The ever-popular PHR Adjustable Upper Rear Control Arms are a must-have item for any serious road-racer or drag-racer. Even with the slider turned all the way in, the Supra is designed to run with at least -1 degrees of rear camber. While this may be good for basic street driving, it tends to eat up the insides of tires and is the opposite of what you want for drag racing and straight-line acceleration.

For drag racers, you are able to adjust the rear camber up to +10 degrees, allowing the tire to come into 100% contact as the car squats for launch. This gives you full contact patch with the pavement and the most traction possible from your setup.

For road racers, you can thread the knuckle in to acheive up to -10 degrees of camber if desired.

These high quality rear control arms are hand-made from 4130 chromoly and TIG welded to ensure the highest strength and integrity possible.

PHR has used these arems on their drag Supras since 1998, and their record-breaking 1.27-second 60 foot time tells the story of their effectiveness.

Powder coated black or red, the PHR Adjustable Rear Control Arm kit now includes solid bushings so no core charges apply. And, using their new custom fit stud system, no re-drilling of the knuckle is required! These hand-built upper rear control arms fit the six speed manual or automatic Supra NA and TT models!

Click here for a larger picture.

Price is for the pair!

MSRP $1,250.00

Your Price $999.00

Guest proburt

here are the alignment specs as per pete (moderator)

repost.

WHEEL ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS

WHEEL ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS TABLE

Application Preferred Range

Non-Turbo

Camber (1)

Front ............... -0.33 ........... -0.83 To 0.17

Rear ................ -1.58 .......... -2.08 To -1.08

Caster (1) ........... 3.33 ............. 2.83 To 3.83

Steering Axis

Inclination (1) ..... 9.58 .................... .....

Toe-In (2)

Front ............. 0 (0) ... -0.04 To 0.04 (-1 To 1)

Rear ............. 0.12 (3) ... 0.08 To 0.16 (2 To 4)

Toe-In (1)

Front ................. 0 ............... -0.1 To 0.1

Rear ................. 0.3 ............... 0.2 To 0.4

Toe-Out On Turns (1)

Inner ................ 35 ..................... .....

Outer ............... 30.75 ................... .....

Turbo

Camber (1)

Front ............... -0.5 .................. -1 To 0

Rear ................ -1.5 ................. -2 To -1

Caster (1) ............ 3.5 ................... 3 To 4

Steering Axis

Inclination (1) ..... 9.75 .................... .....

Toe-In (2)

Front ............. 0 (0) ... -0.04 To 0.04 (-1 To 1)

Rear ............. 0.12 (3) ... 0.08 To 0.16 (2 To 4)

Toe-In (1)

Front ................. 0 ............... -0.1 To 0.1

Rear ................. 0.3 ............... 0.2 To 0.4

Toe-Out On Turns (1)

Inner ............... 34.92 ................... .....

Outer ............... 30.58 ................... .....

(1) - Measurement in degrees.

(2) - Measurement in inches (mm).

Give Chris at Center Gravity a call, he's in Atherstone just off the A5 not far from Mallory Park race circuit.

He's a suspension guru and did my car and im very impressed, great guy and great service.

DSCF0613.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
i know your the man to ask ;) is there enough adjustment in the geometry to take that out ?

I think it depends on where the geometry is set currently, if it's already set near it's limit in the direction you want to go then maybe not, I think the best answer to your questions here are to get the car to somebody who can measure it up and then see if they can do it, there is very little we can do now as the next step would be to see pictures of all the suspension adjustment points to advise on what can be done. :)