The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My New LED rear lights

heckler

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh im not knocking you heckler i do think they look ok, not to my taste as i say, i just consider it a lot of work to design and build that kinda light, i just wish i had the time to do something like that myself

i respect your tallent to pull it off and make them work and look that good, as i say, i only asked the question.

Hi Heckler :)

I may have asked you his in the past, but I can't remember the answer. What output LEDs are you using? I made some LED lights for my house a couple of years back. Each lamp uses 15 LEDs in the 20,000mcd range, each drawing about 35mA with between 2 and 3Vf. When I powered them up I was surprised that I could feel a small amount of heat coming off them if I put my hand about 1 inch above the lamps. Until that point I had assmed that LEDs ran virtually cold. I have since learned that if you put many LEDs together, or use the really high brightness ones then heatsinking can become an issue.

I guess you are using pretty high brightness ones yourself. Have you experienced any problems with heat mangement?

Drilling all those holes in the PCB must be fun :)

Hi Heckler :)

I may have asked you his in the past, but I can't remember the answer. What output LEDs are you using? I made some LED lights for my house a couple of years back. Each lamp uses 15 LEDs in the 20,000mcd range, each drawing about 35mA with between 2 and 3Vf. When I powered them up I was surprised that I could feel a small amount of heat coming off them if I put my hand about 1 inch above the lamps. Until that point I had assmed that LEDs ran virtually cold. I have since learned that if you put many LEDs together, or use the really high brightness ones then heatsinking can become an issue.

I guess you are using pretty high brightness ones yourself. Have you experienced any problems with heat mangement?

Drilling all those holes in the PCB must be fun :)

Hey chap,

The reverse LEDs are 30000mcd, brake/fog/side light are 18000mcd and the indicators are 6000mcd. I've had no heat issues as of yet with the LEDs, but then again I don't think there on long enough to generate alot of heat. I think if they did produce heat, it wouldn't be as much as a 21w bulb! The only thing that does get hot, is the load resistor for the indicators.

I really hate drilling the holes! But needs to be done

I was thinking less of the actual heat output by the whole unit (which you're right will be negligible compared to be 21W bulb), and more of the heat that can be tolerated by the LEDs themselves.

I've been thinking about swapping out the less bright LEDs (purchased from eBay) in my lounge for these ones from Rapid Electronics. They have similar voltage / current requirements but are about 50% brighter. Looking at the design, they have an enlarged cathode which acts as a heatsink. I'd like to see the datasheet for these to see if they need to be solered to an extra large track on the circuitboard to helkp channel the heat away.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Optoelectronics/5mm-LEDs/5mm-Ultra-high-brightness-15-deg-LEDs/73421

Well, no major updates today, only thing I've had time to do is mark out on the PCB's where to cut as if anyone else has ever noticed that the lenses are not circular! The should be cut to shape tommorow, and possibly start etching aswell. :D - who knows may be able to start soldering at the weekend!

right, next updates

Just been in the etching bath, which gives this:

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/lights/etch1.jpg

now, this leaves the mask still on the copper, so using brillo pads..

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/lights/etch2.jpg

Next step is painting :D - but that for tommorow

Edited by heckler (see edit history)