The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got my car dyno'd today

Paul -C-

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like it boils down to different dyno's give different results for the same car in similar conditions. Thor's hub dyno gives a higher figure than a regular rolling road.

e.g. my old RZ :

• 350.5 RHHP and 348.6 ft/lb - Thor Racing,
  • 301.9 RWHP and 240 ft/lb - Surrey Rolling Road

Same car, same mods, only differnce was that it was much colder the day we went to Surrey Rolling Road so I would have expected higher figures in the cold weather.

Dynos are great for setting up new mods and checking your fueling etc but the power figures are too inconsistant to provide a meaningful comparision.

I agree with the folks who say the best indication of a car's true power is its ¼ mile performance, especially the trap speed.

Hmm

CJ...

I had not ventured a derogatory comment at all, except to point out that the dyno owners could be an unscrupulous bunch
...i can assure you that Gerry the owner of Dastek UK is deff not that kinda person infact he is prob one of the worse owners of a dyno that you could go to :)..cause he wont tell you something you want to hear and hence takes a lot of flack about the Dastek Dyno..

ie..the dyno is crap they dont know what they are talking about..the usual stuff said about dynos..

An example of Gerry is our car..made 407bhp on his RR...we then took it away fitted a complete emange steup..took it back and let him map it for a few hours..and it made 356bhp..now if he was the unscrupulous type i would have thought he would be telling me any Sh!te...to keep me happy on what i had paid to him, and on the car.

I am supprised at Pauls numbers as well..but i DOUBT that Gerry would tell him that just to please him.

Andy

PS

Oh Dasteks main use for the dyno is not to do power runs for people it is used mainly to setup there dastek chip on cars.

TBH, I had not intended the post to suggest that Dastek were dishonest. It was meant to suggest that dyno operations in general could be inclined to give higher figures to boost business.

If my post inferred that I was directing it at Dastek then I apologise as that was not the case.

Something makes me think of sheep everytime this sort of thread gets going.

Well go back and read the thread f*ckwit and see who kicked the whole thing off.

Jeez, what a bellend. Just go back and read the first page - there are no comments directed at this figure, just some comments along the lines of 'wow, that seems high for those mods'. Now look at the second page... oh yes, there you are kicking it all off.

Cj

Np...point taken mate..i think the problem people seem to have with the dynopack RR is that the wheels arent even on the car so the RWHP has to be done through a calculation..which i hope takes in the fact that the tyre will cause drag on the road...and i guess thats where the high bhp numbers can be got.. if that calculaions is massaged a little (not saying it is but like some have said keep the punter happy ).

As for the (it counts on the 1/4 well Pauls car is running near enough what our car use to...and last sunday he ws doing 1/4 miles...and he was getting no where near our 1/4 times that we have run this year and last.... as most here will know 1/4 mile stuff has LOTS to do who is driving the car...crap driver= crap times...so does that mean that his car aint got 400bhp hmm....

Andy

PS

Paul mate i know you are new to 1/4 mile :).

Andy

CJs first post could have been misinterpreted as VERY sarcastic, basically implying that rolling road stations are set up purely to give false readings, so everyone will go to them.

I however noticed the smilies that were included!! :p

Then Homer's post could again be misinterpreted as throwing toys out of the pram, syaing "I didn't get those figures and I've spent more on my car!" kind of thing.

Again I read it from a different view point because I'm sure most of us have been on forums long enough to know how badly things can be taken when not face to face!!

I think Chief saw the bad in it and now it's blown out of proportion with neither side of the argument willing to back down!!

Paul got some results, they appear a little high and he should go to other roads/dynos before stating anything solid.

Never the less they are his results and that's fair enough. Certainly worth posting about.

CJ, Chief and whoever else was involved need to chill!!!

I'm claiming mountain out of molehill on this one, can we stop now (We've all heard that on forums before as well, and we all know someone will want the last word!! - Never mind).

Purely as an objective statement both Jakes and Homers runs were done on a Dyno Dynamics rolling road - at Surrey Rolling Road - and showed what seemed to be very credible figures when compared to manufacturers stated outputs from 'brand new' cars

http://www.surreyrollingroad.co.uk/new_page_5.htm

Unfortunately on the day I know of least one person who was so upset by his figures that he vowed never to return and use the one he had previously used instead (strangely gave him a minimum of 75HP more!)

Speaking to the operators there - they will not 'create' figures to suit customers requirement (but admit they could manufacture anything you wanted to see)

Perhaps these other figures were frrom a USA based RR - which would explain the extraordinary results!

:rolleyes:

OK Trev, wont post no more on this, as a mark of respect for your efforts to be "Civil".

How gracious of you. Such a shame you couldn't do that on your own initiative (don't bother replying, you've ignored me up to now so why start here?!)

Yay, last word to me, I win :woot:

Cj

As for the (it counts on the 1/4 well Pauls car is running near enough what our car use to...and last sunday he ws doing 1/4 miles...and he was getting no where near our 1/4 times that we have run this year and last.... as most here will know 1/4 mile stuff has LOTS to do who is driving the car...crap driver= crap times...so does that mean that his car aint got 400bhp hmm....

Andy

PS

Paul mate i know you are new to 1/4 mile :).

Andy

Like I said in the Crail thread... I took Getrag in the car for my final run and he ponted out that I was only boosting 0.6 bar. Turns out it was a loose intercooler hose :stupid: That plus the fact that I can't launch for shit would definately give me a shit time.

The car is back to 1.1 bar and is definately a lot faster. Bring on Crail again! :D

And to everyone else, the bhp figure is only a number, who cares if it's higher or lower than what it should be. A number doesn't make the car any faster or cooler. And anyway, I only went to get the fueling checked :)

All I can say is Paul that you're one lucky man because that is an exceptional figure for a BPU car :thumbs:
Like everyone else has said, it might get a much lower number on another dyno, so there's no point making a big deal about it.

But thanks :)

C.J How come you got banned from the other forum?

I was asked by one of the other mods on the forum to post up a thread offering my parts finding service. This I did then had a very shitty email from martin accusing me of taking the piss etc. I pointed out that his mod had asked me to do it and told him to verify this and come back and apologise.

He did verify but still came back accusing me of taking the piss and being a disruptive member - so I told him to fuck off and he banned me! :)