The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Less grip please!!

gt4tosupra

To be fair, just before I sold my rx7 I put on some decent set of boots. I was astounded at how well it handled and gripped whilst at the same time disappointed it wasn't as tail happy anymore as I had got used to.

My 200sx had standard wheels with 195 or 215 tyres if i recall. So much fun!! Only had it for a couple of months about 4 years ago. (i'd bought a rot box!) Been pining for RWD again ever since! Had 2 celica GT's and the GT4 in these 4 years, and now at last RWD again! Didn't want anything else apart from Toyota

The 200sx and the supra are too very different cars, I've had both, and both had LSDs. In fact the supra has a 2way diff and few other toys. It doesn't behave anything like the 200 did. 200 was way lighter and little more skittish on the 'slide'.....

I had goodyear F1s on both cars. My mr2 arrived with marshall budget tyres and was dangerous in the wet, there is no other word for it.

Do me and everyone else a favour, don't put crap tyres on, and if you do, don't come anywhere near any of the roads I use.

The programme with Tiff Needell drifting that old Morris Minor just popped into my head :)

hahahaha, I remember doing something similar after I rebuilt my father-in-laws minor and stuck a fully built 1000cc lump in it with a metro turbo 1275 head. Went well, until I snapped the rockers because the valves bounced off the bores. Had to pocket it. It is all good and well until you try and stop it on the cardboard things called brakes :)

Take it u wouldn't use this setting for the road then would u ?

I can do fast road work with it but its more geared towards track and drift.

For road use i would dial it back a bit to -1.5 or -2 degrees max for the camber but you ave to take things like the aster and toe into account as well as its all relative.

Do me and everyone else a favour, don't put crap tyres on, and if you do, don't come anywhere near any of the roads I use.

Don't think he's suggesting fitting a tyre that is considered dangerous.

He is just wanting a less grip tyre than the Toyo's that he has currently fitted. Meaning that if he is wanting to have a bit of fun (tail-out action whatever), then he can achieve this at lower speed, probably more controllable too (and safer?).

Usually the case with higher grip tyres is that the transition between grip and no grip is very quick.... with lower grip tyres there is a more gradual transition. (Not in all cases but many).

If everyone is going to get up on their high horse about correct driving standards and safety and being the model road driver who never goes above any speed limits EVER...then just thinking why doesn't every one not buy a cheap 1L Fiesta or a 1L diesel family run-around.

Most people buy a Supra as a fun car to drive. And I'd bet a mortgage that every Supra driver has broken a speed limit here and there. Or stepped over the grip limit, either intentionally or accident.

If anything I'd say that fitting lower grip tyres to an unfamiliar car will give a better idea of controllability and familiarisation of how the car handles. It will force the driver to drive slower knowing that there is not the ultimate grip available, and if it does step out then it is at a lower speed and probably more easier to control.

Every trye sold in the UK has to pass minimum performance figures anyhow. So there should not be any tyre that can be called 'dangerous'.... only dangerous drivers.

And as I do not know the original poster, I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he is conisdered 'responsible', otherwise he would not be willing to find out information about this topic.

So what you are saying is you want to try drifting your supra around public roads?

In that case you are a total D1CK putting other peoples lives at risk while you try and look 'cool':banghead:

Like AJI said, i'm just looking to have a bit more 'drivability' in the car, have it like a proper (in my opinion) RWD sports car should be. Touch wood i've never had so much as a clip in any of the 4 sports cars i've owned for the last 7 years, so would consider myself a good driver! I've dropped 40 bhp from my gt4 to this NA supra. Power and speed are not everything!

No offense but maybe you should buy a Fiesta Diesel if you wanna be totally PC and safe;)

I can do fast road work with it but its more geared towards track and drift.

For road use i would dial it back a bit to -1.5 or -2 degrees max for the camber but you ave to take things like the aster and toe into account as well as its all relative.

Cheers pal i might take u up on that offer. I'm actually thinking of going up to Scotland on my hols this year, looks like a vast wilderness with plenty of good roads ;) to test out the supra!! Much better than being stuck on a hell hole beach abroad IMO

There is a world of difference between "driving over the arbitrary speed limit" and "sliding out of control" on a public road, and if you think you're 'in control' while drifting, do an emergency stop halfway through one because a kid stepped out in front of you and see how far you get into the nearest wall.

-Ian

There is a world of difference between "driving over the arbitrary speed limit" and "sliding out of control" on a public road, and if you think you're 'in control' while drifting, do an emergency stop halfway through one because a kid stepped out in front of you and see how far you get into the nearest wall.

-Ian

Yes of course there is a difference in those two situations.

But as an intelligent driver you would not be sliding around the road in any built up area or where visibility is too restricted.

If any driver is dumb enough to be sliding and is then required to do an emergency stop due to lack of forward visibility then they derserve to be in trouble.

The above situation however has not been stated as the intentional purpose of the original poster. I don't think he is wanting to go sliding around his 30mph back streets.

Yes of course there is a difference in those two situations.

But as an intelligent driver you would not be sliding around the road in any built up area or where visibility is too restricted.

I believe the law calls it 'dangerous driving', and no I'm not whiter than white and I have done it, but I've grown up a bit and realized there are other people I should be concerned about (both at home and on the road)....

A perfect example is Suprash... he is getting into it, so he bought a car and takes it to the proper events where the walls are softer and people aren't just driving on their way home.

-Ian

There is also a world of difference between "driving over the arbitrary speed limit" and "driving over the limit in order to keep up with a carrera GT" and if you think you're 'in control' while doing that bit extra speed..............blah blah blah

raising the tyre pressure will make drifting more easaly,

put 4bar in the cheapest tyres I could find ,

just for drift days though.

tyre make: CLEAR 265-35-18 46euro for one tyre :D

on roundabouts in the wet noooo grip at all, drifting at 5 miles an hour, but on dry :cool:

There is also a world of difference between "driving over the arbitrary speed limit" and "driving over the limit in order to keep up with a carrera GT" and if you think you're 'in control' while doing that bit extra speed..............blah blah blah

This is true and that's 100% pwnage, I acknowledge that :) Good point well made.

Of course I wasn't skidding at the time and the Carrera was a long way in front so if anything did go wrong up front, I'd have had 200m of fresh air and 4m of carbonfibre crumple zone to help me out. And it was dual carriageway. And I was in control thanks because I could have done a controlled emergency stop at any moment in the proceedings - it just would have taken longer and further to stop, which isn't the same as being "out of control".

But if a car had pulled out in front of me from the left hand lane doing 65mph, yeah, it would have all gone very bad and been my fault totally. I've only done that once but if the opportunity arose again, I can't say the red mist wouldn't descend once more.

Still, I had visions of this guy skidding around a housing estate showing off to his mates while kids are out on bikes. Hence my post. If the drifting is only done on wide empty unpopulated non residential roads then maybe it's "less bad" but I just can't believe that.

Oops, my hypocrisy alarm has gone off, can't think why :p

I'm just making the point that we all do some anti social things in our cars at times........

The circumstances surrounding the times when this happens makes the difference between it being called ill advised through to down right dangerous.

Aji's Evo drifts round that moorland hairpin i'd say was low risk, the drifting in a housing estate you describe would go in the down right dangerous category.

Also our perception of something like 'drifting' can be different, mine is the occasional 2nd gear overpowering of the rear tyres small slide and small opposite lock......basically, in the dry, a planned reproduction of what has happen to all of us unexpectedly in the wet. Someone eles's may be loads of lock and body angle, rears wheels spinning up and smoking, into round and out the other side of a roundabout.

Basically the guy has done it already and will continue to do it, so IMO should receive warnings/reminders/guidance and to where and when its better to do this if you really must.