Top Posters In This Topic

Good evening,

Can i pry a little please and ask the following:-

1. Your age

2. Your sex

3. Your reason for a auto

4. Modded or stock exterior

5. Experience of high powered cars

6. I have a nice single (manual) would you like me to take you out in it so you know what your getting into buying a single turbo? - I live near stansted airport.

Is it possible to work out a 0-60 time from TDR's run at Suprapod?

TDR was quicker than me and my 0-60mph was 2.93 seconds IIRC.

That was on R888's.

I have a T88 single. Not really an "everyday" car. Although the power is immense it's probably a bit too much for the road. As said the supra is a GT car, from a rolling start nothing can come near it. To drive around town in one a bpu supra would be a much more fun and responsive car to have.

Just remember that a big power supra can be a handfull. Ive had a few "moments" on the road when I've planted my foot, like wheel spinning at 70+mph on the motorway just because its cold outside :blink: Plus with you wanting an auto as stated the standard box doesn't cope very well with big power, where as the getrang box can cope in excess of 650 bhp with no mods

Edited by add heywood (see edit history)

By a long, long way the fastest car I've driven off the line was tdr's supra. However it was setup for drag and had drag tyres on. I think he managed an 11.5 qtr and around 2.5s to 60 mph, not bad for stock turbo's, but you'd never get anything like that on the road.

Real world driving sub 100mph, I still think a BPU auto TT is the easiest and quickest car off line. Get into some challenging twisty/dusty/muddy roads and the bpu 6spd TT would be a better choice. The single was far, far more fun, but ultimately not as quick when grip levels wern't optimum. On the motorway and A roads, very little would touch it though.

I cant really say much because the only supra i have driven is mine, its a Auto TT BPU at about 380bhp. I've never had the pleasure of driving a stock TT or a single but i know mine does put a smile on my face every time and the bpu does pull like i dont know what.

its also for sale wink wink

cal

I had my Supe stock, then BPU and now single.

I have to admit that the full BPU was already a very nice on the roads.

My single comes on full boost at 3700rpm, which sounds a little late, but if you take the twin setup, the big punch (2nd turbo) kicked in at around 4250rpm when I was BPU.

An important point on singles are the suspension setup and the right tires ... otherwise, lack of traction will render a lot of the ponnies worthless

Sorry guys for not getting back sooner, thankyou for all your responses and opinions all helps :D

right in answer to your questions supra_pig

1)21

2)male

3) auto because of a below knee amputation

4) wouldnt mind slight modded exterior, spats , nice lil skirts n bumper

5) current car - Starlet Glanza 140-150bhp

and yea maybe i could come for a little passenger drive, i live nearer heathrow but not far really i could come down to stansted way?

Say i did get a bpu supra then wanted to go single is it better to go for tranny cooler or upgrade to boostlogic autobox? or is that not worth it unless i want silly bhp?

Say i did get a bpu supra then wanted to go single is it better to go for tranny cooler or upgrade to boostlogic autobox? or is that not worth it unless i want silly bhp?

My advice would be to try out a stock, BPU and a single and then go for the one that you like best and can afford.

In my personal opinion, it costs took much in financial terms, stress and time to do a single conversion so if you do like a single, then you clearly have the money to afford to buy a good well converted one NOW.

If you fancy coming over to heathrow, i can take you out in mine (its a manual) but you will get an idea of what a single drives like.

I did think buying a nice tidy single straight away would save me alot of money time n stress with converting when im ready, although doing it that would be more safer and sensible so i could get used to the power, but when i start looking i think that will be a good idea to ride in a stock, bpu and single to see.

Imi i'd love to have a passenger ride :) yea i could come over , if we set date or a time that suits you, i have few things on this week and next but after that im free

Cheers

Sam

Good advice from imi.

I work fairly near Heathrow (Brentford), and own a small single with automatic transmission - I may be able to take you for a passenger ride at some point providing the conditions are favourable.

I have a transmission cooler but I'm not sure how long my gearbox is going to last (slight slipping before single conversion anyway). Fortunately I have a boostlogic auto box and hi-stall torque convertor sitting on a shelf waiting to go on. :sly:

May i ask how much your boostlogic auto box and hi stall convertor cost? and to fit it?

I got a very good deal on the box and tc (as they're second, if not third hand). I've yet to have them properly checked out yet.

I think the "new" boxes merely have some of the internals replaced from your existing box. I gather this used to cost approximately £1500 - but I presume this will be more now as the £ has weaked against the $. There are a few members on the forum worth talking about with regards to uprated auto boxes in the UK. "Dude", "Michel Lane", and another guy whose name I can't remember - but he posted up recently (red car in avatar).

Hi-stall torque convertors can be had for sub £300 second hand - I think they're probably only double that new.

I've been quoted about three to four hours to fit the parts - I might need to have the map tweaked slightly, so this needs to be taken into account too.

Sam. So you have a few offers here for a passengerage. Drop me a line and we can arrange it for sometime next week.

My car was a BPU for 3.5 yrs before I went single, believe you me, the single albeit twice the animal is far easier to drive than a twin; the power delivery is predictable....(obviously I am referring to a manual here, in an auto it might be different).

imi

Sam. So you have a few offers here for a passengerage. Drop me a line and we can arrange it for sometime next week.

My car was a BPU for 3.5 yrs before I went single, believe you me, the single albeit twice the animal is far easier to drive than a twin; the power delivery is predictable....(obviously I am referring to a manual here, in an auto it might be different).

imi

The power delivery of a TT should be perfectly predictable. My auto TT gives very predicatable power delivery right across the rev range.

How do you mean "a single is far easier to drive"? My Supra is by far the easiest, and probably most relaxing, car I've ever driven. And I know some people who regret going single, or even doing a 6speed conversion....

Everyone at times will fancy something different and no two gearboxes or conversion types will satisfy everyones needs always. Its finding the happy compromise that works for you. test drives are one of the best ways to do that

Or be minted and have several supes sat in the garage :D

The power delivery of a TT should be perfectly predictable.

It isnt unless you have a crystal ball next to you :)

been covered in depth before - search.

Those that regret a single PROBABLY didnt know what they wanted to achieve before they set out with the conversion.

I'm not going to bother searching, but I'd agree with the sentiment that a TT is predictable - and more importantly, controllable - in its power delivery. So is a single. And a decent setup single (good map, not fitted with a stupidly large turbo or race clutch) is no harder/easier to drive than a stock Supra IMHO.

It isnt unless you have a crystal ball next to you :)

been covered in depth before - search.

Those that regret a single PROBABLY didnt know what they wanted to achieve before they set out with the conversion.

Yeah that makes no sense to me sir , sorry.

The two turbos come on at the same time every time .......