The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Should I buy a Supra?

Guest longsh07

I would imagine that the huge price on the CTR was due to its new age and higher value.

... or its hot-hatch reputation.

MR2 FTW! :D Get a rev2, they're good all-rounders and easy to find! You get the option of tin-top, sun-roof or T-Bar... For the up-coming summer time, a T-Bar will be awesome! I can't wait til I can take the roof off mine without the worry of getting cold or wet! Last year was awesome! :D

Mine:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm209/b3nk3i/7.jpg

The cheapest Sports car you will ever buy! ;)

I still love the look of them! You're talking me into buying one as well!

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

no offence intended to the OP but i think you need to wake up, the insurance is gonna be a rediculous ammount and no offence but your living a pipedream.

Your gonna be best off putting cash away and saving up for a while and in the meantime that figure will steadily come down, and IF at a later date you still would like one and its financially within your reach, then go for it! :)

With regards to reliability, as with absolutely anything second hand, your always taking a risk to a degree, however especially in the second hand market its true that you get what you pay for.. So, you could look at things as a "project" or use the extra time and cash in the bank you will have saved to buy one thats had the shizzle done to it.

:)

Buy a TT, and have your mum or dad insure it with you as a named driver.

Sure you won't be racking up any NCB but you won't be paying through the nose for insurance either.

As long as you are carefull and drive to your capabilities then you should be fine.

What you are recommending is called 'fronting' and is illegal. Not the best advice to give out unfortunately.

Sure you won't be racking up any NCB but you won't be paying through the nose for insurance either.

I absolutely hate people who do that to get cheaper insurance. It's also known as fraud ;)

I would imagine that the huge price on the CTR was due to its new age and higher value. Just look at older fast cars :)

After a recent review of our claims stats, the EP3 Civic Type R came out as our worst performing car.. this will explain the high insurance costs. DC2 Integra on the other hand was our best performing car.

As long as you are carefull and drive to your capabilities then you should be fine.

These cars are tremendous value for money, you will be hard pushed to find something as rewarding although at the same time, they can be a ballache when something goes wrong - swings & roundabouts.

BUT...

Direct Line and a few others do offer now NCB for any named drivers!

Might be a good option, but on experience it never brings the price down that much...

Hello all,

Ive been looking to upgrade my Punto for a while now to something with a little more kick, however the Civic Type R I was looking at has stupid insurance prices (£7500+)

So after some thought I considered getting a Supra and for a laugh I went to get some insurance prices for a 1994 RZ Twin Turbo.

To my amazement it only came to £3750!!

Now that’s still a lot but I’m seriously considering buying one now.

So, the question, should i spend my hard earned money on a car over 10 years old or am I going to be in the garage constantly?

Thanks in advance.

Wait until you have more no claims and more driving experience

before you pay what the car is worth,[ on insurance in two years.]

if you go from a 1.6 to more than a 300 bhp sup at 18,YOU WILL

have to learn to DRIVE IT or it will BITE BACK.

Its pretty much bollox though, only Direct Line recognise said named driver NCB.

This is the problem I have. No claims in 4 years, but I'm only allowed to use 1NCB with anyone else. So basically means I have to start again! You try to leave them and they shoot you in the leg as you walk away!! Best thing to do is start off your own policy ASAP... It'll be more expensive in the meantime, but save you Hell later on!

After a recent review of our claims stats, the EP3 Civic Type R came out as our worst performing car.. this will explain the high insurance costs. DC2 Integra on the other hand was our best performing car.

That's because the EP3 isn't REALLY a Type-R ;) a few stickers don't make it fast and give it good handling. The EK9 and DC2 will always come out on top because of their thorough-breeding and they were built with the track in mind. The FN2 is even worse! Cheap suspension components to cut costs, and loaded up with every gadget you can imagine! So it's heavy and handles like shit... That's the new Type-R for you ;)

The EP3 and FN2 are just watered down versions for fat old people and boy racers to pretend they have a racing car :) (No offence intended to EP3 or FN2 drivers here)

I would imagine that the huge price on the CTR was due to its new age and higher value./QUOTE]

... or its hot-hatch reputation.

And they're piss easy to steal apparently!

Guest longsh07

I really wasn't expecting so many replies. Thank you all.

I'm going to be looking at all the cars suggested and insurance to see what I think is best.

I must say thought, I'm very tempted by that MR2!

I really wasn't expecting so many replies. Thank you all.

I'm going to be looking at all the cars suggested and insurance to see what I think is best.

I must say thought, I'm very tempted by that MR2!

Do it, you'll absolutely love an MR2, especially a T-Bar. A great sound when you have the NA engine humming in your ear, and it just gets better when you put a cone filter on....

Edited by Dave17
Spelling (see edit history)

Guest longsh07

OK so I think I'm going to forget the Supra for now and look at an MR2. Can anyone suggest any insurance companies that would give me a decent quote for my age/NCB.

FYI - if anyone missed it, I'm 18, 19 in April with 1 Years NCB and ill want to be Fully Comp.

Cheers

Try and get a rev2, the rev3s may look a little less dated, but insurance goes up a lot! I had a really good quote from Chris Knott. You can also try Sky, Adrian Flux, Direct Line, Elephant, etc..

lol don't listen to this guy, Rev 3 -5 FTW (For The Win). Most major change on the body is the rear lights get changed to round ones instead of rectangles. It probably will cost a bit more but i can't imagine it making a huge difference.

Guest longsh07
So here you have it.

Should I buy a Supra? No.

An MR2? Yes.

A result brought to you by the good people of MKIVSupras.net

And I thank you all a lot.

All I need is a good quote now.

Started at about £4000

We're getting there, elephant will do £2900.

Still waiting on Adrian Flux.

Direct Line wouldnt give me an only quote and so ill try them and some others tomorrow.

And I thank you all a lot.

All I need is a good quote now.

Started at about £4000

We're getting there, elephant will do £2900.

Still waiting on Adrian Flux.

Direct Line wouldnt give me an only quote and so ill try them and some others tomorrow.

Is that a quote for an import or Uk?

Thats still maddness!

Think the last couple of years prices have doubled...

I got a quote at 19 with 1yrs NCB for an MR2 for about £1000fully comp...

Yours seems high:Pling: