The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car at Whifbitz

supraspeed

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who is going to buy your car thast needs a new geerbox? would be easier to put a tt lump in and keep the w58

somebody whos looking for a project car or a chav who doesn't know better ;) but seriously i think once everything is sorted out i might get some attention. people do gearbox conversions all the time and might work out cheeper this way

The labour for fitting in an engine and box will not be too much money and you can then sell on the other bits and bobs from the single to recoup some funds.

Bite Ido's hand off chap and drop his old engine in you might find that a match engine and box is reliable and you enjoy driving it ;)

The labour for fitting in an engine and box will not be too much money and you can then sell on the other bits and bobs from the single to recoup some funds.

Bite Ido's hand off chap and drop his old engine in you might find that a match engine and box is reliable and you enjoy driving it ;)

i would like to do something with the car but my situation at work and a few other things have changed so i really do need to sell it and get something sensible for a while.

Another day, another nervously awaited phonecall. good and bad news. good news (so far) is that they took my car for a spin but when testing the afr the weather turned against them and had to abandon a full test. They said it might be running a tad rich (can be solved/run fine with v-power etc) but nothing other than that it seemed to run fine :) so a full test hopefully tomorrow if the weather isn't bad but looking ok so far so saves me a £k. Bad news is that paul rekons its not likely to produce more than 350bhp as the turbo doesn't look big enough, but without dynoing it we wont know. i was sold it saying 400-450bhp so ive always believed it to be around the 400bhp mark at least....feels like it any way lol. paul didnt get a chance to floor it in the test so might be able to guesstimate it tomorrow. he said the gearbox would be able to take the power but ive already destroyed 2 w58 boxes so somethings not right???? also i'm getting another car soon but now not sure wether to keep this one as a project as ive spent loads already. too many questions to answer lol :)

I'd take that as good news & good news, you now know that it has been running safely (providing it hasnt been way too rich which Pal indicates it hasn't by saying 'a tad') and that you wouldnt have been pushing a load over 300bhp for most of the time which is good news for your engine :) and any potential buyers :)

prehaps the 2 W58 boxes you had were abused neglected boxes so in theory a good condition box 'should' be able to cope with 350bhp providing how its treated :)

well now i'm getting a newish reliable car as my daily drive it means i can spend my time perfecting the supe :) i dont know what i'd like to do with it though. i'l drive it for a while on the setup and see if its any better with new suspension etc. was thinking bout changing to an auto box as then i dont have to worry about an expensive 6 speed. Other things in my mind... big single with at least 500bhp as its already got many single bits already installed. or throw in a tt engine and turbos and go bpu. just wondering if big power (500bhp+) will make the car undriveable as i want to have some fun in it rather be holding on for dear life. the slow spool puts me off a bit but i like the idea of massive power :p :)

Long version:

Can take, or take reliably? Skyline manual boxes "can" take 600 ft lbs torque, for a short time, whilst chewing up synchro hubs, bearings and wearing out gears as the shafts bend in agony. MKIV TT auto boxes "can" take a lot more torque than they were designed to, for a little while, with luck, and a big oil cooler, and sympathetic treatment. If you are on a tight budget go BPU and enjoy a pretty reliable set up. If you are on a better budget, feel brave and can handle a gearbox throwing its dummy then risk putting more than the designed torque through it. If you want a reliable car with big power put a properly rated gearbox in it, but you will have to accept it'll cost a packet and in terms of what it makes the car worth to sell in the future it's financial suicide. Buy a box that's got a resale value in its own right.

Short version : What Homer just said :)

Sam, you are all over the place with your 2nd to last post, and getting things arse about face. Please have a calm, face to face sit down and chat with Paul about the options before going any further. Seriously.

Oh i agree completely about my errattic ideas lol. I can no way afford anything for a long time so gives me a chance to reflect on what i want to do and i'm sure Paul will give me the advice i need. Just want to get the car sorted first then throw some ideas around and see which is the best for me and the car. cheers for the concern though :)

Now looking into it i see a project coming on.....this could be really fun. anybody know how much power an autobox can take? ;):D

I'm yet to be convinced about singles and autoboxes, especially in regards to EMS, even the diehards always have a 'but' in their posts when advocating tuning cars fitted with the autobox.

Massive change of plans!!! Paul took it out today and suprise suprise...needs a new Emanage box and re-map as its running super rich. so had a long chat with Paul and we ended up basically saying it would need a lot of cash spent if i was to try and get it all right with the turbo,mapping,etc. Sooooo.... i'm keepiing the car, but Pauls going to change it back into an N/A for now so at least i wont have to worry about destroying anything with over fueling etc (and i can't afford the remap and emanage). Over the next year i'm going to save up enough cash to afford a TT engine swap, and either a big single setup or a BPU Twin turbo. the turbo system on mine is a custom made job so i'l sell or get rid of that and start a fresh with a new project with decent parts :) going to be an exciting year :)

Hi, please let me know what you want for all the single kit, it may help with your bill ?

Paul if you see this PM me a price to fit it mine, fully working of course with drop in injectors and an emanage :innocent:

Don't do it Dean! leave it n/a or just buy a TT :) I don't want to see a future thread of single turbo problems

Hi, please let me know what you want for all the single kit, it may help with your bill ?

Paul if you see this PM me a price to fit it mine, fully working of course with drop in injectors and an emanage :innocent:

How long was that Dean? a month? then back on the mods!!!

quality!!

:D