The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New spoiler - first pics

DaveR

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your' car would look sweet without a spoiler imho.

Ok, so this got me thinking...

I'm not the biggest fan of the de-spoilered look if I'm honest (usually because those that do it seem to not want to go all out and get those horrible rubber things to put in the bolt holes rather than getting it properly smoothed), but I decided I'd have a look and see what my car would look like in that style.

De-spoilered 1.JPG

De-spoilered 2.JPG

I feel bad now - I sold George the spoiler.

I think it looks good with the right kit - and opinions will always be split on bodykits etc.

Do what YOU like and don't be concerned with what other people think/say.

I personally think veilside looks retro cool as not many cars have the kit anymore. I am not a fan of the front but I am of the skirts/spoiler combo.

Lets be honest, kits always become super popular (for the obvious reason people think they look good) and then people get bored/gets common and people dislike them.

It was

1) veilside

2) bomex

3) do luck/topsecret

4) Ridox is now getting popular

They were all popular at one stage because people agreed they looked good. As soon as something gets common people start to dislike it. I think Doluck is getting way too common, though it still looks good. I bet in 2 years time people will start taking them off.

Same pattern happened with rx7s

1) veilside

2) re-amemiya

3) c west

Bottom line is do what YOU like and don't change your plans because of nitter natter chit chat.

Ok, so this got me thinking...

I'm not the biggest fan of the de-spoilered look if I'm honest (usually because those that do it seem to not want to go all out and get those horrible rubber things to put in the bolt holes rather than getting it properly smoothed), but I decided I'd have a look and see what my car would look like in that style.

Good :thumbs:

All good points. The Veilside spoiler is definitely staying on (spraying starts tomorrow...), I just wanted to see how it would look with a bare-arse!

Ah. Not so good ;)

Not over keen on yours bare arse mate, but to be honest, I LOVE the VS spoiler in black. Get a carbon bonnet and leave it!

The blade is staying black and the Do-Luck front (once fitted) will have a black centre, too. Carbon bonnet to follow, cash permitting!

• 1 year later...

So, after all the to-ing and fro-ing about my Veilside spoiler, in the end I never got around to painting it and have now actually decided to go for a TRD one instead. Funny how plans change... I still really like the Veilside one, but the TRD is probably more practical - I get the distinct impression that the design is a case of form following function rather than Veilside's thing of just making their part bigger (!).

I went for the 1/2 carbon TRD spoiler and the first coat of primer is on the "struts" as I type. The silver's going on tomorrow. For now, some test fit pics. More to follow!

Test fit 03.JPG

Test fit 04.JPG

So, after all the to-ing and fro-ing about my Veilside spoiler, in the end I never got around to painting it and have now actually decided to go for a TRD one instead. Funny how plans change... I still really like the Veilside one, but the TRD is probably more practical - I get the distinct impression that the design is a case of form following function rather than Veilside's thing of just making their part bigger (!).

I went for the 1/2 carbon TRD spoiler and the first coat of primer is on the "struts" as I type. The silver's going on tomorrow. For now, some test fit pics. More to follow!

Its your car, i wouldnt let anyone decide on what should be put on my car, you like the veilside, dude go with it:)

Its your car, i wouldnt let anyone decide on what should be put on my car, you like the veilside, dude go with it:)

lot of anti-Veilside on here, each to there own i say, have the courage of your convictions, it's your car to drive.

Anyhows TRD looks better than Veilside IMO but its what you like that counts

Just to clear it up, I totally agree with all of these sentiments - I wasn't influenced by any anti-Veilside-ism from anyone here, but rather simply decided that practicality was better than big! I still really like the overstated look of the Veilside spoiler and it's a shame I never got around to getting it sprayed (money issues, you know how it is...). The TRD spoiler was always on the cards, anyway, but the Veilside came up at the right price first.

Of course, the major advantage of the 1/2 carbon TRD spoiler is that I've been able to spray the struts myself rather than pay a body shop to do it for me like I would have had to with the Veilside. The top coat is on now and the lacquer will follow after a good rub down tomorrow. Final fitted pics, hopefully, on Tuesday!

I like the v/s spoiler from the side view its a shame its so wide from the rear

Nah, it's ace! I love the skirts, too...

So I got my new TRD spoiler fitted yesterday. Pics are incuded.

I was really looking forward to gobing off about the fact that I managed to get the silver struts sprayed up using only rattle cans and I think the colour match is pretty good - in fact, I'd go as far as to say spot on.

Sadly, having done a really good job (though I do say so myself!) on the undercoating and then the top coat and the first 2 layers of lacquer, I then managed to screw up not just the third but also the fourth layers of lacquer, meaning that there are some really hidoeus and quite noticable drips in the clear coat. They haven't come out in these pictures (fortunately!) but see the car in the flesh and it's not a very pretty sight in places. I've tried T-Cut to little or no avail so I guess the next step is to try some very fine wet and dry to try to even things out without messing up the whole paintjob and having to re-do it. I was going to try that earlier this afternoon but I'm still feeling a tiny bit delicate from a Mess function last night, so maybe that can wait for another day...!

Anyway... If anyone has any advice on a better / alternative technique for trying to even out lacquer, do please let me know.

New spoiler 1.JPG

New spoiler 2.JPG

New spoiler 3.JPG