The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lexan Rear Window Deal

Ryan.G

In a plastic window :blink:

Ahh a clue in the question. You may want to go for a weight saving but at what cost. I can get in through lexan in seconds with no sound at all not like the smashing sound of glass. Also it does scratch very easy as I have used it for years myself on Guards for Robotic Arms etc. Good strong stuff but I would think only good for a car that is garaged every night and not used very much. Just my opinion

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LeLexan doesn't change form to around 90c and starts melting around 200c. I can’t see direct sunlight replicating these temperatures. ... not in the UK at least :)

That's the point I'm trying to make in a round about kind of way - a heating element usually operates at around 30C (a rare sunny day), Lexan won't flinch until you triple that.

I have just taken delivery of rear and side windows (Before i read this thread:rolleyes:)

I had the rear one in 4mm, Then bought a new Rubber from Toyota Steve Manley 01865 291300

RR Screen Moulding Y75573-14210 £35.79 +Vat

Then made up 8-10 1.5mm Blocks to bond it in as a standard glass. I also had the black surround painted on the inside first..well worth it.

I also had made the door glass in 5mm and it works well with std regulator. The lexan will scratch so i shaved off 0.5mm from the glass felt wipers.

It is soooo much lighter than stock its hard to believe. I would not recommend a rear wiper with this lexan.

I am Very pleased with mine and i thought the 3 pieces where cheap @ £520!

They where all thermoformed to immitate the stock contours too?

Hope this helps the group buy

I had the rear one in 4mm, Then bought a new Rubber from Toyota Steve Manley 01865 291300

RR Screen Moulding Y75573-14210 £35.79 +Vat

Thanks for the info :thumbs:

I also had the black surround painted on the inside first..well worth it.

These include the black surround like stock glass so this shouldnt be required ;)

They where all thermoformed to immitate the stock contours too?

Same with these units if people want sides as well.

How much do the door windows cost then? you can tint them right? any ideas how much weight you can save by fitting door lexan windows too?

Thanks.

PS im definately in for the rear one

The door glass kits are not included in this GB but if enough people are interested then one could be done for this also.

Supra MKIV 5mm drivers side door with vent @ £89.25 each +vat

Supra MKIV 5mm passenger side door without vent @ £59.50 + VAT each

Cant quote on weight but best knightrider on here

The door glass kits are not included in this GB but if enough people are interested then one could be done for this also.

Just to add, for people keeping the stock electric window mech the price for the 5mm windows is £59.50 +vat each side.

Just to add, for people keeping the stock electric window mech the price for the 5mm windows is £59.50 +vat each side.

is that all? they quite cheap..Can i just make sure, maybe its a silly question wez, do they just fit straight away?

and can you tint them as normal windows yeah?

out of interest is there not a crappy N/A supra that has ye olde windy windows as the electric motors are a fair weight

I have never come across a supra with windy windows, the door cards are not really shaped for it either :search:

As asked, can these be tinted as normal? Also does anyone know how well they suppress sound compared to the standard glass?

Again sorry for my ignorance but why the vent? Will these side window replacement not function as normal?

As asked, can these be tinted as normal? Also does anyone know how well they suppress sound compared to the standard glass?

Again sorry for my ignorance but why the vent? Will these side window replacement not function as normal?

I'm no expert but pls correct me if i got this wrong, there are 2 types one crappy for road use with a small vent which is fixed(i wouldn't personally have it on a road car!) and a direct replacement..I hope is tintable-can't see why not..

I want these too! As long as they function 100% same way as the standard glass ones..So pls put my name down for side door lexan too - Direct replacement. My intention is to keep it as road use friendly as possible.

These are soo cheap I could have saved £200+:(

I did like 5 hrs research first too and had 3 seperate quotes:blink:

Make sure they are tinted too. Pre facelift are green and facelift grey. Makes all the difference to get them matching.

but you can tint them no?

but you can tint them no?

I think the main thing that you're not picking up on here is that it scratches easily. Have you not seen racing cars when they have a hole cut out the side window and a flap to open, or like a sliding flap thing? They never look shiny. That's why it's generally used for racing cars where function matters over form.

Hope I'm not off the mark there and putting people off unnecessarily.

I googled a bit and found this on tinting:

LEXAN cannot be tinted since LEXAN continues to gas out and any film-based tinting would sooner or later cause those cheesy looking bubbles

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.