The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cars in the garage again !

tooquicktostop

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And thats why we didn't do it because of this reason, we're not bonkers.

Brakes pads? Tyres? Yes we wear a set of pads and tyres out with every mapping session, I dont think so.

Arhh Ok, Good to hear. I went on what Dean said about mapping as Jamie pointed out. But it must get annoying for you and the customer when you book a car for mapping and cant do to weather...

But while on the subject, Do you not like dyno mapping Paul? I know Road mapping can be Fun but dyno mapping will always produce better results. Having the ability to see tractive effort and torque after changes shows you how the engine is responding to different injection timing, cam timing, IGN and Fueling changes.

I always aim to use a dyno when mapping every day and just use the road for improving driveability and checking for changes on the tarmac.

Ryan

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

Its getting there mate, shame its a bad time of year to do road mapping! It was only 2 degrees this morning, greasy roads + 600bhp and it becomes a tad difficult!

not to mention insanely dangerous and a "tad" stupid :search: taking a supra out to hit full boost at this time of year on the public roads, sorry bud but if i had paid you top dollar you wouldn't be doing it in my car

Arhh Ok, Good to hear. I went on what Dean said about mapping as Jamie pointed out. But it must get annoying for you and the customer when you book a car for mapping and cant do to weather...

But while on the subject, Do you not like dyno mapping Paul? I know Road mapping can be Fun but dyno mapping will always produce better results. Having the ability to see tractive effort and torque after changes shows you how the engine is responding to different injection timing, cam timing, IGN and Fueling changes.

I always aim to use a dyno when mapping every day and just use the road for improving driveability and checking for changes on the tarmac.

Ryan

A lot of the mapping we do is to cars that are here for conversions so the car is here anyway for a period of time, waiting another day or so is ok with most customers. In 8 years of mapping cars I dont think we've not been able to get one finished because of the weather. Deans car came to us and ended up being a lot more than it was booked in for so took longer than first expected which means the weather has closed in on us plus I've got to go in for a minor operation tomorrow so we had to try and get as much done as possible by today.

Road mapping and dyno mapping both have there good and bad points though.

not to mention insanely dangerous and a "tad" stupid :search: taking a supra out to hit full boost at this time of year on the public roads, sorry bud but if i had paid you top dollar you wouldn't be doing it in my car

Read what I'm saying we didn't do it because of this reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow that opened a can of worms !!

Just to make it clear, the car was already fully mapped by both Ryan (base map) and AFR to 1.2 bar but I ended up having a lot more stuff changed in the engine bay than planned at Whifbitz so the map was to tweak the car really and not a full mapping session, the boost was taken up but Paul called me and said he could do no more as it was to damp and too much of a risk, so fair play, Paul has it is worth mentioning managed to map AEM of some very high BHP cars including his own so I dont worry about the road mapping method, just the time of year is not right

He did not really charge me either for the tweak in the map, the main reason I needed to map looking at was because it was a bit rich on start up and was having an idle issue which are all sorted now

I am happy to take a tuners advise on the best mapping methods, i have had the car mapped too many times to remember !, some good most indifferent

I would have liked Ryan to map the car but for me SRR is too restrictive if something does not go to plan, the facility has no garage so you are stuck making changes on the pavement outside, then you usually miss your slot with the RR or the mapper, if I pay for a car to be mapped really want to hand over the keys, come back a few hours later and all done, perfect world I know but it would be nice. A lot of this depends on the car being 100% before the mapper gets it, something I have had a tough time getting right

Car is getting there now however and I will get some engine bay shots when I get it home at the weekend :D

Edited by tooquicktostop (see edit history)

Picked the car up this afternoon, 29 miles from Enfield to my house and it takes 2.5 hours, dam M25

Well I guess nothing tests a single cars set up more than being stuck in traffic for that long, it never missed a beat, too wet to use the 1.5 bar but a little squeeze now and then gave me a taste of the power the car has now :)

Its pouring down outside so I will get some pictures up tomorrow

finally the car is starting to give me some joy, look forward to a cold crisp day tomorrow with dry roads for a little test :innocent:

Picked the car up this afternoon, 29 miles from Enfield to my house and it takes 2.5 hours, dam M25

Well I guess nothing tests a single cars set up more than being stuck in traffic for that long, it never missed a beat, too wet to use the 1.5 bar but a little squeeze now and then gave me a taste of the power the car has now :)

Its pouring down outside so I will get some pictures up tomorrow

finally the car is starting to give me some joy, look forward to a cold crisp day tomorrow with dry roads for a little test :innocent:

Nice one Dean, glad your happy, you'll be even happier once its all finished off properly though, not much left now.

Nope, the catch tank is in under the headlight for the moment, could do with a custom made tank in the engine bay really.....

Thats a good idea, id rather it like like to keep the bay uncluttered, was thinking of exiting mine under the car but worry about losing a piston and spraying oil on the tyres.