The mkiv Supra Owners Club

£15k for something other than a Supra but What?

jassi_hayre

To be honest mate if you are planning on an every day car I would steer clear of a Speed 6 engine TVR, although they tend to be more reliable the more they are used you will still have the odd niggles that may mean you are unable to use it. Although servicing would be a lot less than a Boxster and it would be a sh*t load faster and better sounding :)

I think your right the 350z is a two seater. Sorry i forgot about that they look like 4 seaters

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think your right the 350z is a two seater. Sorry i forgot about that they look like 4 seaters

Are they? I didn't know that - big car for a two seater!

If you are thinking about a 996 but they are too pricey, how about the 993? It's the most beautyful one and they never break.

A good 993 costs more than a good 996.

I'm also not entirely convinced by the "never break" comment. Even the newest 993s are about 12 years old now - there are likely to be some issues. They are nice cars though.

The 993 onwards are meant to be very reliable, as for cost the 993 tt will be pretty dear still as they are deemed by many as the best looking & last of the real 911.

Are you sure you mean "onwards"? I've heard some scary stories about 996s - particularly the early ones.

993 TT is certainly not an option for £15K.

I originally thought I could get a 993 for £15k but they cost more than 996's (seem to have a following amongst porsche enthuiasts).

I think I could overlook the two seats and reliability issues on the T350! (I've only seen one on the road in a blue / black) they are real head turners.

I'm not too keen on the Skylines for some reason.

Kind of thinking M3 at moment. Seems to be an all rounder but just not special / different enough. I dont really want to go down the bodykit route.

Which brings me back to the Masserati 3200. Its subtle but musculine and quite rare (bit like Supra's). Ticks all boxes except running costs and reliability. Does anyone have any experience of one or know anyone that has had one?

I don't hear the word "reliable" when I hear "Masserati".

Have you ruled out 964s? They are getting on a bit - but plenty of people use them as daily drivers and you would get a good one for £15K. Somebody on the 964 forum made a good comparison to the 993 : 90% of a 993 for 70% of the cost.

Styling is obviously personal taste though. When I bought mine, I preferred (but couldn't afford) 993s. These days, I actually prefer the classic look.

Put it this way, north of Watford M3s dont seem to attract the same kiddy/scum attention that an R33 GTR does.

My mate has recently bought an R33 GTR and he cant believe the attention he gets in it. People have driven past it hanging out of windows taking photos of it etc.

He is also terrified to leave it outside of his house and parks the car every night at his parents house outside of town and then uses public transport to get home!!

Me personally, I'd worry less on a day to day basis owning an M3 than I would any R33 or 34 GTR.

Is this general consensus on these boards that a R33 GTR is more desirable than a Supra ? I've always thought that a well looked after Supra would receive more attention.....especially one that has been modified tastefully.

Is this general consensus on these boards that a R33 GTR is more desirable than a Supra ? I've always thought that a well looked after Supra would receive more attention.....especially one that has been modified tastefully.

I think people under 25s views of Supras have changed quite a lot over the years. Its no longer the king chav icon car it was in the 90s. That mantle has now been taken on by the Mitsi Evo :blink:

I think a lot of kids just see it as a daft overlarge coupe for chestwig types :)

However the Skyline will always be the most amazing car in the world to the Playstation generation as you can get 1000bhp out of an air filter and zorst and it can kick every other car in the worlds ass innit :)

m3 ticks all your boxes except being (different )which i think is the problem unfortunately reliable and different dont always go hand in hand,also if it's different it may attract the attention you dont want.Iv'e seen one or two p1's that have had engine failures and owners transplanted sti engines.how about a newer rx8 or alfa gtd chipped or brera or just keep saving till nissan gtr's become second hand :)

how about a newer rx8

No experience of them myself, but somebody I work with bought an RX8 a couple of years ago. He got shot of it because he felt the build quality was pretty poor - lots of rattles and squeaks. And he replaced it with..... an M3.

Guest sunnyG83
Good call.

If you want fuel economy you could always go with a 330D, ~290BHP and 460lbft with a remap :D

That would be my choice. With 15k you could get a cracker and still have spare change.

I agree with these two :D

Gareth - Whats the spec on the Mustang? I'm assuming its a LHD?

All Mustangs are LHD. There are a few RHD hacked/converted ones about but I wouldn't touch them with somebody elses barge pole! - LHD doesn't take much getting used to.

All 2005 onwards V8 Mustangs, (except the Shelby) are 4.6 litre v8's producing 300 bhp. 0-60 is 5.5 seconds with a top speed of 147. The top speed isn't great because they're very overgeared to return a reasonable fuel economy. 70mph @ 2000 rpm. Average fuel economy would be around 20 mpg, although I find it easy to get an average of 25. I've managed 32 on a motorway journey recently!

As far as reliability goes, they are very good. They've come top in the US JD power survey for 3 years running, and we very rarely get any warranty claims on them.

Spec wise, if you get a Premium Mustang, it'll have leather seats, 6 disk in dash mp3 player, a/c, cruise control, etc.

Do you guys think prices will drop a lot between now and summer on performance cars?

The used car market with big engined cars is doing about as well as the housing market! ;)