The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is the worst thing you have ever done to your car, that you inflicted yourself?

RobSheffield

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've a 272 intake cam if that's what you snapped :sly:

:D

Im ok Thanks Ian :)

Rob, its a bad day when that kind of things happen. I bet there were some choice words? ;)

Er, yeah one or 7 :)

Oooo, bad luck Rob :( What a p!sser

What's that going to cost for another?

Its another £250 for it, and i think only a weeks wait. Not too bad i suppose, and i have a few things i can be getting on with in the meantime anyway.

Oddly enough me and my girlfriend were out last night, staying over at my parents to look after the dog, she decided to drive, and ended up bumping her car into the gateposts and damaging her car

i was able to push the dent out and polish out the paint transfer - wish it was that easy with a broken cam!

I recall I found two guides to reinstalling a camshaft in the Supra and both of them were Toyota. One is the two-cap method as you describe and the other is cylinder head style - you put the camshaft on the buckets at whatever angle is needed to make it rest in the bearings, then tighten the caps up in the reverse bolt order to when you undid them (I do about four passes on each bolt, tightening them up roughly the same by starting the ratchet in the same place each time and counting the number of turns). Then you put on the cam gear and turn the cam to TDC.

I've done about five HKS camshaft installs like that and not had a problem - it's much less load and spread out across the bearing surfaces. It's still probably damage in transit that caused the snap though.

-Ian

Yeh that

done 4 in same manner also with no breakages

Hope you get it all sorted soon Rob :)

Worst thing I did was to personally spray (aerosol-can job in garage) a body kit for my 1983 1.0l Metro. Then I stuck it on with screws, added weller wheels and sprayed the windows black with a *special* tinting paint.

To me, aged 19- It looked awesome.

Ill go with that method with the new one then, but i didnt seem to find any one place that the cam would sit in all 7 bearing surfaces

There isn't one. I *think* Ian means put the cam so the knock pin lines up, then fit all 7 bearing caps and pull them all down a little bit (no more than 1/2 turn i would say) at a time.

Would work, but when the caps are all touching the head, i would use the toyota sequence for torqueing them up.