The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto or 6 speed

Guest big_g

Geoff, not all vvti autos are tiptronic. Basically they charged an extra £5k for the manual gearbox on the later spec cars, they had to have something in between so put the tiptronic in there. There will be standard autos on the vvti.

I have driven auto and manual supras and for me either one is good. If I had to go back and choose again I think I would be more than happy with a vvti tiptronic. Gives the best of both worlds really. It is very personal thing, you really do need to drive both and see how you get on with them, some people just cannot abide the auto, but the majority who said they would never have an auto are more than happy with their choice. :woot:

JB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honnest AUTOS are an old mans gearbox. a true racer needs to show his skill at driving rather than let the auto do everything for you. they remind me of the skyline gtr, they have a button on dash you press it to go round corners.

me & eyfi are in the middle of converting my boring auto to a manual. did not want to go with a clunky tractor getrag 6 speed so gone with a smoth as silk colse ratio F28 6 speed gearbox. its a lot of custom work and is a first.

if it works out we will be offering it as a package for the supra. thats whats lacking on supras is the gearbox 6 speed and old man auto

must say i do like the auto its like riding on the crest of a wave :)

Geoff, not all vvti autos are tiptronic. Basically they charged an extra £5k for the manual gearbox on the later spec cars, they had to have something in between so put the tiptronic in there. There will be standard autos on the vvti.

JB

There you go I've learned another thing. Thats what is great about this BBS, its such a vast source of knowledge.

Blimey an extra £5k for a manual, no wonder there aren't that many around. ;)

to be honnest AUTOS are an old mans gearbox. a true racer needs to show his skill at driving rather than let the auto do everything for you. they remind me of the skyline gtr, they have a button on dash you press it to go round corners.

me & eyfi are in the middle of converting my boring auto to a manual. did not want to go with a clunky tractor getrag 6 speed so gone with a smoth as silk colse ratio F28 6 speed gearbox. its a lot of custom work and is a first.

if it works out we will be offering it as a package for the supra. thats whats lacking on supras is the gearbox 6 speed and old man auto

must say i do like the auto its like riding on the crest of a wave :)

You need a disclaimer not a signature ;) Warning - may contain traces of nuts.

-Ian

Seriously tho, on a track, entering a corner from 130+, downshifting from 5th? to 2nd, whos gonna be able to do that quicker, the manual guy.

It does not take me long to press a button twice!!!! While your pushing or think bout pushing the clutch down Ive already dropped it two gears!! So I think it would be the tiptronic boys...If changing with a gear lever is so efficient why do F1 use Tiptronic type paddle changers?? Cos its faster, less prone to mistakes.

It does not take me long to press a button twice!!!! While your pushing or think bout pushing the clutch down Ive already dropped it two gears!! So I think it would be the tiptronic boys...If changing with a gear lever is so efficient why do F1 use Tiptronic type paddle changers?? Cos its faster, less prone to mistakes.

F1 gearboxes are not autos though, they are automated manual boxes, with a clutch and no torque convertor. The tiptronic is basically an automatic gearbox, so you're always going to have a vagueness which means you can't control the weight distribution into and through a corner as well as a manual.

Argh no! drawn into another manual vs. auto thread!

Argh no! drawn into another manual vs. auto thread!

I wouldn't waste my time mate. At the end of the day, both are very good at what they do and it is going to come down to personal preference. I deliberately chose an auto as I didnt want a 6 speed - full stop. That doesnt make the auto better, just better for me. :thumbs:

I wouldn't waste my time mate. At the end of the day, both are very good at what they do and it is going to come down to personal preference. I deliberately chose an auto as I didnt want a 6 speed - full stop. That doesnt make the auto better, just better for me. :thumbs:

Indeedy, totally agree. Doesn't stop the arguments though!