The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto or 6 speed

Guest big_g

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens in an auto, if you drop into 2nd when you're doing, say, 100mph? I have never wanted to try find out for myself, anyone know?
In an Auto nothing happens until the revs are low enough to allow it to safely change down.

In a Tiptronic when chaging down with the steering wheel buttons nothing happens at all, it just doesn't change down if it would be in too low a gear. If changing down with the gear lever it's the same as a normal auto (changes down when it's safe)

In an Auto nothing happens until the revs are low enough to allow it to safely change down.

Thought so, which leads to the question 'What is low enough?'. Hopefully not so high that it's just off the redline, but not too low that there is no effect?

But i agree with Jake and Darren...If I was buying one now I would go for a Tiptronic box prob give you a bit more control and you can drive it in full auto too!

are there many tiptronic ones bout? dont know any thing bout them cost much more? think i will go more auto than 6 speed, not a car for the track

They are about, usually newer models which may mean more expensive, there are good deals about.

Im confused though as to why you think a Tiptronic box will give you more control than a manual. :conf:

What happens in an auto, if you drop into 2nd when you're doing, say, 100mph? I have never wanted to try find out for myself, anyone know?

I use engine braking in my Tip all the time works sweetly..just press one button no messing about!

You really have to drive the cars can make up your own mind. I went out looking for a manual TT. I test drove two before even looking at and auto as I was tempted by the areotop. I got a real surprise when I drove that areotop the auto box was very good switched into manual it was very rapid. So I went back and drove a couple more manuals and drove them harder, I found the box lumpy and on fast changes I missed the right gear a few times. I then tried two more autos one areotop and a non areotop. I ended up with the auto without the areotop as I was concerned about possible body flex. I had a tiptronic car for a day and it was fun I never really had the chance to push it due to traffic but I really enjoy the fingertip changes, absolute control over very rapid box changes, better than my auto in manual as I did not have to take my hand of the wheel, but at the time it was out of my budget.

Don’t let anyone let you tell you that the manual is quicker, with the same level of mods the auto will get away faster once they are rolling there is not much in it. In my early days of ownership I though the manuals I had driven felt faster, but I put that down to having to regain speed after each gear change and clutch operation where the car is not under power, so you keep getting repeated surges of acceleration. With the auto it may not feel as fast but the power is always there.

I had not had my car long, I think I had still got one cat left in and an induction kit, I was in a small MKIV convoy and we were all having a real good blast. I got behind a UK 6 speed MKIV with quite a few mods. We were both two up; I was really expecting to get left behind. To my surprise I did not, he could not get away, out of the bends. He was getting away into the bends as I had my little JDM brakes and I had to brake earlier into the corners, but on the way out I kept catching him up. The only thing I could put it down to was I was not loosing acceleration on the manual gear changes as they are pretty much instant, so my car never lost momentum just a long constant pull of near maximum torque.

What ever you get you will enjoy it. Drive a few fairly hard and you’ll know which one suits you. Good luck with your search.

Difficult one.

How about from my house to where I work? :D

LOL, still the only way you'd beat me is to not tell me where it was you worked :p :thumbs:

Seriously though, up a for a sprint round a track to try and settle this for once and for all? Perhaps we could have manual v tiptronic v auto? Could be worth a laugh.

Seriously though, up a for a sprint round a track to try and settle this for once and for all?
Yeah, it'll be a laugh. I can't be organising it though, it'll never happen if you leave it up to me to sort out.

Are there any tracks that actually let you race each other?

Perhaps we could have manual v tiptronic v auto?
Even better! There must be someone from the south with a BPU Auto TT who'd be up for it.

I suppose that to make a fair comparision the cars would need to be fairly similar spec: BPU, no NOS, No RLTC

Well I got a auto and i wouldnt get a manual now, the gear changes are instant so they are rapid. you can use it in MANU mode put i find i end up in D or N rather than second if you start off in first if you know what i mean lol. it moves too easily. I went from 2nd in to N the other day bouncing off the limiter lol. doh! I just leave her in D. Although it feels quick as fook when u pull away in first.

are there many tiptronic ones bout? dont know any thing bout them cost much more?

I'm fairly sure that all the VVT-i (sept '97 onwards) auto cars were tiptronic.

So yes, they cost more because they are later cars but I don't think tiptronic change, itself, was an option.

Driving wise, you really can't fault it. Easy selection of gears, without groping for a lever and hoping you don't stick it into neutral, when you're racing someone, and getting a bit too enthusiastic ;)

I find that at the moment, in this cold, slippery weather, its far better to change down with the buttons, if you need a bit more acceleration in traffic, rather than to just stick your foot down on the accellerator and risk it kicking down when you don't want it to.

The only slight downside, in my opinion, is the sound of the car. It sounds good when accelerating hard, changing up, when the throttle closes momentarily between gears but, sadly, I do miss double declutching on the down changes. Nothing beats that blip between gears, especially if you've changed down to blast past something ;) Undoubtedly the auto is quicker, its just not quite as much fun aurally.

Its a small price to pay for the better all round driving characteristics of the auto over the manual (IMHO), and I don't think I'd swap my Supra for an identical, but manual version, just a comment, really, to keep things in perspective.

downshifting from 5th? to 2nd

If you can shift an auto box from 5th... I'd well impressed....

Sarcy mode over*grin*, just bored at work...

But I do know what you mean...

Gav

PS : I tested the theory of going from Drive into 1st at a 80mph last night, and nothing happened.... which is a good thing really *grin*

Guest eyefi i

it's always funny watching auto owners come up with more elaborate and creative excuses to justify their purchase of a boring transmission :)