The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another respray thread (AFR tuning related)

mwilkinson

Yep, Albundy68 - the car was in for minor works. Bit of a pain to match the colourchanging paints but it came out very well :)

oi, theres a charge for use of albundy car pics without permission! lol

good job on the bit that was being sorted, the guy does have paint matching talents. dont be surprised if im back begging for more little bits though, because its still not perfect (non AFR bits i might add)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, Albundy68 - the car was in for minor works. Bit of a pain to match the colourchanging paints but it came out very well :)

good job on the bit that was being sorted, the guy does have paint matching talents. dont be surprised if im back begging for more little bits though, because its still not perfect (non AFR bits i might add)

He was dead chuffed with how that rear quarter came out

Sure aint easy painting parts of panels in that colour tho !

I thought it looked like he'd done a top job when I had a nosey round it. Lovely looking car albundy! :)

Thanks for the pictures :)

Just had a slight hickup on the respray. Got the colour code wrong for the paint (Me that is!!) Half the car was sprayed in 0048 which is Grigio Antares!! Grigio Avlon is 0049........big doh!!

About £400 later that was an expensive error on my part.

I really can't believe it Matt. I was sitting on the computer with my brother, proudly showing him the colour and he picked up on what I said against what was on the screen. I suddenly shit myself and gave Jay a ring to find out I gave him the wrong code. I am so glad he had not done more. No doubt he was a little ticked off to have to key it all back and spray it again but I was concerend for a minute that i would have to live with whatever colour I had originally chosen :(

Well I have been down this morning to Esser Works and have some new pictues of the completed components of the car. Its far from complete with the rest of the windows needing to go back in, the front bumper, side skirts and boot lid all needing finishing, but its not far off.

I have to say guys the quality of the work left me speechless. The finish is like a mirror and the colour is better than anything I could have hoped for. Even with a fine layer of dust the car looked stunning. I just could not look at it without thinking.......is this really MY car!!! :D

Here are some pictues:

Lookin' good :cool:

I take it the engine bay is staying black?

Yeah, I dont want an even remotely light coloured engine bay. I have enough trouble keeping a black engine bay clean!! ;)

Also I think I am lucky to have had a black car beforehand, black engine bays look good on any colour.

• 4 weeks later...

Right, not much been happening at the moment. The delay is the new Trial bumper I have order. Its just the usual waiting game. Its been 2 months now so hopefully not too much longer to wait. I have been down and have reassembled the doors, putting on all the new trim, seals etc. I have also put the boot lid on the wiper motor back in etc. i have also attached the stock spoiler which I must say I love. Sure beats to old bat wing. A few other bits have been sprayed but were on a go slow until the bumper arrives.

Really missing the car now. Although I had some fun in this car the other week :D (Sorry about the picture angle)

Here are some pictures of the work so far an a couple of some other projects on the go at the workshop. These are about 2 weeks old now.

Heres some of the Ultima.

Finally here are some pictures of a De Tomaso Pantera (Panther). Have to confess I had never heard of these before I saw this one.

Did you take the glass out of the rear lid, or just mask around that bit? Also, do you have a close up of the new door trim fitted please?

Thanks, looking great by the way. :)

Yep the rear lid glass plus all the others were removed for the respray. Its the only way to get a good finish around the windows in my opinion.

I'm afraid I don't have a close up of the window trim at the moment. when I go down this week I will get one for you. You having some issues? I fitted all the new stuff myself. It was quite easy in general, although fiddly in a couple of places.

I'm glad I bought new as the old stuff was quite faded and had lost a lot of mass which was evident when sorting the windows out afterwards!!

Looks great M, as others have already said, it's a great choice of colour to give a new lease of life to what's becoming a very old car by today's standards.

That Pantera belongs to a someone I know. Happy to see it's in the bodyshop, as it did need a good tidy up :)

B

No issues really, just want to see a close up of the new trim. I have rain guards at the moment which I'll be removing. Just wanted to see what it will look like. Also, I heard the rear glass is a pain to remove. Did you have any problems?

The rear qtr glass was just smashed out as I had new ones. But would have been a real pain if I were keeping them. I would have thought you would need to remove the trim inside to best cut away at the bonding agent which secures the glass.

My car came with wind deflectors. Once they are removed you have the task of getting rid of the mastic that holds them on. I have to confess they never really looked right afterwards which is part of the reason I chanaged the trim. I have heard though of people who have been very successful of getting them off and making the trim look good again though. I'm just real lazy ;)

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

Looks great M, as others have already said, it's a great choice of colour to give a new lease of life to what's becoming a very old car by today's standards.

That Pantera belongs to a someone I know. Happy to see it's in the bodyshop, as it did need a good tidy up :)

B

Thanks Ben-san.

The thing I was most shoked about with the Pantera was the wasted space in the engine compartment!! Its huge and with the engine mid mounted it just adds to the effect.

I loved the look of the thing. When I first saw it I thought it was a Ferrari!!