The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Cooler Kit Recommendations

PJ

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HKS type-R kit I have is the old design, but it works fairly well. I do have the following gripes though:

1: The relocated filter fouls slightly on one of the PS hoses, making filter changes slightly harder, and clearly they rub together when driving.

2: There wasn't any ducting in the kit (unlike the photo above)

3: The pre-made hoses weren't the right length, so I had to spend ages cutting and re-fitting. Thankfully they were too long, not too short!

Under extreme use, the car still gets really hot, so I think I might fit a spal fan to the cooler to pull more air through.

1: The relocated filter fouls slightly on one of the PS hoses, making filter changes slightly harder, and clearly they rub together when driving.

2: There wasn't any ducting in the kit (unlike the photo above)

3: The pre-made hoses weren't the right length, so I had to spend ages cutting and re-fitting. Thankfully they were too long, not too short!

Didn't have any of these problems with mine.

Ive pm'd Gaz a link to this page, hopefully he can give us some specs:)

Got this from Gaz about the kits and unfortunately the prices on the website are out of date, which is annoying as that was looking good for my budget!

No pics unfortunately.

Recently changed from a Mocal core to a Setrab one due to parts availability and price. Comes with a relocation head, all fixtures, fittings and piping, relocation head and a 19 row cooler.

The price has went up quite a bit since it was posted on the site, current price is £250. Our supplier increased the kit price 6 times in the last year (crazy!)

So for a sub £200 oil cooler kit it's looking like Driftworks is the way to go, possibly Speedflowshop as well, though I've not added all of that up yet, was waiting on more details on that.

You found any other options yourself yet Jamie?

Think I'll be going for the Driftworks kit, definite value for money,

i have been doing a bit of searching on the subject of is a cooler really necessary, and its got me wondering, the reason i am thinking about it is due to going single with just oil cooled turbo, although i have seen oil temps of 117c on hot day after long ish pull, its the water temps that have also risen beyond what i think is OK have seen 105c, so would i be better off replacing the rad, or rely on an oil cooler to help reduce overall temps, as they will both influence each other, however it is quite possible to over cool the oil, less than 90c is undesirable.

I had the old HKS Type R kit too, imho the fittings are bad quality and a sham, their not proper reusable fittings like earls or russels their made from a strange plastic that fell apart when I went to take the oil cooler off the car

Its when you begin to add the cost of the fittings up you understand why the kits get very pricey very fast, if you want quality build your own with proper reusable earls fittings

Two things I have managed to salvage from the HKS kit is the sandwich plate, and the relocation plate - with built in thermostat, they are good quality as is the oil cooler itself, but I was very dissapointed in the kit overall as it is quite pricey

To prevent the oil getting below 90C make sure there is a thermostat in the kit

You want a 16Row minimum on a Single turbo car

Edited by bolarbag (see edit history)

tell me about it. a well setup BPU is not to be sneezed at.

Heehee:D

The problem is once you've went so far you can't go back, and its a struggle with the inner demons to do things on the cheap - but its defo not the way, there will only be regrets later, hence its so freakin expensive!!

I couldnt believe the cheek of the Greddy Oil Filter relocation kits, they use earls fittings - the anodised banjo ones!!:blink:

Again salvaged the faceplate from that too and the braided lines, I've just added more parts to it in addition with the HKS plates to make a pretty trick oil cooling/relocation hybrid HKS/GReddy system with proper earls fittings

I dont really want to count the cost to be honest, I got stung with the vat from earls, next day delivery but their extortionate!

p.s the reason I wouldnt scrimp on fittings is they will have to be frequently removed on oil changes(well some of them), depending on your routing, there can be a fair bit of oil lying around in there

Edited by bolarbag (see edit history)

The HKS type-R kit I have is the old design, but it works fairly well. I do have the following gripes though:

Thats what happened to mine very recently, i would use some old hose to wrap around any of the metal pipes under there !

So on my auto TT how can I plumb in my oil pressure and oil temp' sensors into an oil cooler, if for example I puchased the Greddy 10 row. Would I have to buy the oil filter relocation? It's too late for me to think straight ;)

The HKS kit has a 1/8 NPT port on the take-off plate, and a second one on the relocater plate, and an M10 port (too big for most sensors).

You _could_ use a sandwich plate with several sensor ports, but you'd probably have to use different hose-ends because they will foul on the inner wings. The 'proper' solution would be the lexus bolt mod for pressure, and a tapped sump plug for temperature.

The moisture question is a bit lame really - water evaporates even at room temperature, just more slowly. Plus if you drive your car hard enough to need an oil cooler, you'll still get 100+ degrees, it's just that you'll peak at maybe 112 rather than 126 degrees (my observations on track).

Edited by Ark (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Got this from Gaz about the kits and unfortunately the prices on the website are out of date, which is annoying as that was looking good for my budget!

So for a sub £200 oil cooler kit it's looking like Driftworks is the way to go, possibly Speedflowshop as well, though I've not added all of that up yet, was waiting on more details on that.

You found any other options yourself yet Jamie?

Did you buy a kit?