The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Cooler Kit Recommendations

PJ

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magic thread resurrection. Better than starting a new one;)

Loads of people bought the driftworks, speedflow and Apex oil cooler kits.

Can anyone who bought these now comment on their quality having had them installed for well over a year?

Also many of the kits require you to give lengths for the hoses. Can anyone supply the hose lengths for other peoples reference? (by that I mean for my reference :))

From what I can understand from reading threads on here the addition of an oil cooler would be for a single turbo car, or any car being used for street racing. Basically if you are pushing the car hard for a long period of time it would not hurt to install one.

I want to install one so I can do track days and futureproof the car for a single install.

Opinions seen to vary about cooler size and hose sizes. Standard opinion seems to be a thermostatically controlled plate with -8+ size fittings. It has been suggested that -10 should be the minimum. The cooler should be ideally a 19 row or bigger.

mWilkinson you know about the oil temp questions I had?

To be honest I have a limited knowledge of most things car orientated and can only go by things that I have read.

I have been reading this thread:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=184730&highlight=oil+temps&page=1

It suggests that between 85 to 100 would be fine for normal driving. Temps around 110 to 115 degrees celsius would be acceptable for spirited driving. 120+ is very hot and it would be worth installing a cooler.

Have a read for yourself and see what you think.

To be honest I have a limited knowledge of most things car orientated and can only go by things that I have read.

I have been reading this thread:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=184730&highlight=oil+temps&page=1

It suggests that between 85 to 100 would be fine for normal driving. Temps around 110 to 115 degrees celsius would be acceptable for spirited driving. 120+ is very hot and it would be worth installing a cooler.

Have a read for yourself and see what you think.

85-100 for normal driving!? that depends what you mean by normal driving... I always heard/thought that you could do spirited driving when your oil were 80+ celcius. But I could be totally wrong! :S

85-100 for normal driving!? that depends what you mean by normal driving... I always heard/thought that you could do spirited driving when your oil were 80+ celcius. But I could be totally wrong! :S

I think your right about the 80+ threshold. It seems this is the consensus for spirited driving.

With regards to normal driving I meant driving about town, to and from work. Not racing people on the motorway and doing WOT everywhere :D

OK I have been installing my Whifbitz PAS cooler system today. I have installed the Setrab cooler in the passenger side bumper opening. With the intercooler pipes and PAS cooler there there is no room for anything else.

I am also going to install an oil cooler to the car. My question therefore is, would it be sensible to do this on the drivers side bumper opening of the car? The issue here being that the hoses to the cooler would be quite long. Would this cause any issues with regards to the operation of the system?

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a FMIC there is tonnes of space on the drivers side for a PAS cooler - just re-jig the PAS hard-pipe connections, it's easy. Then you should have plenty of space for an oil cooler on the passenger side.

Thanks for the input.

I have now installed the PAS cooler in the passengers side opening. There really is not that much room there for a large cooler. I have the FMIC hard pipe and washer bottle there to contend with. The PAS Setrab was a 215mm, 13 row cooler.

I'm now going to install a Whifbitz 25 row oil cooler kit in the drivers side as there is plenty of room there for a cooler of that size.