Is a VW R32 faster than a BPU supra?!

adnanshah247

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the thing is, im not worried about the engine on the r32 its the new SMg gearbox. its an instance gear change with no loss of power, i was worried that thats the supra's downfall.

Mate, the torque and outright power and performance of the TT will just leave the R32 behind to just a spec in your rearview.

Trust us...:D ;)

Right.

So at what level in the performance car world (car straight from the factory rules) would a BPU start to struggle/lose?

It's all down to the driver. I couldn't keep up in the twisties with a guy in a Toyota Verso MPV the other night on the way home from work. He was on three wheels round some bends. I'm tempted to say he was a maniac but TBH he was just very very good at maintaining speed through corners. I eventually caught him back up at a juction.

It was then that I saw the D4D badge.

As I own a mk5 Golf (visually looks like an R32 but with a GTi anniversary front end ;)), I know a bit about them.

The R32s are noticeably better than the GTi in the wet because of 4WD compared to FWD of the GTi.

However, comparing one to a Supra... easy meat! 0-60 in 6 seconds for an R32, 6.5 for a GTi.

The R32 is 250PS whereas the GTi is 200PS. The one that'd be more trouble would be the GTi Edition 30 (you can tell the difference as the body is fully colour coded and it has a bigger - bodymatched - front splitter. They are 230PS as standard but have uprated internals over the regular GTi and are easier tuned. Alot of people I know have them running about 300PS with little done to them. However, the Supra would still have it.

I have seen that some tuning companies will Twin Turbo the R32. This generally takes it up to about 560PS. I think your mate would have made this known if he'd done such a thing though! Only THEN would you have to worry at all!

Also, consider this: My Golf is one of the lightest mk5s around and it's still 1342kg! The R32 is 1538kg! So weight isn't exactly to the Golf's advantage!

As long as you are proceeding with this legally, have fun in seeing just how much your Supe stomps over his £28k Golf :D

It's all down to the driver. I couldn't keep up in the twisties with a guy in a Toyota Verso MPV the other night on the way home from work. He was on three wheels round some bends. I'm tempted to say he was a maniac but TBH he was just very very good at maintaining speed through corners. I eventually caught him back up at a juction.

Shameful.

:ban: