The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What this section is all about

Ian C

We have found a need for an FAQ area that is more fluid and 'under construction' than the articles and FAQs, where topics that are relevant to many people, or are full of useful information about a particular problem, turn out to be too big, too varied, or just plain too unfinished to be recreated as an FAQ or article entry.

So, here is where I will poach interesting threads as I find them, leave redirects, and still allow (and encourage!) posting to continue to fully cover the subject under discussion. Generally only threads that are already well under way will end up in here.

-Ian

So why not start off with some really basic information for first time buyers? Noticed the influx of new recruits recently, all asking the same sorts of questions? What models are there, what are the differences, UK or J Spec, what fuel do I use, etc, etc. As the price drops more and more people will come in here looking for that kind of info.

This kind of high-level technical info is relevant to a few, but if someone has a specific need for something like this they are more likely to just simply post a thread up. What you really need is basic Supra info for the newbies.

Let's be honest here - this 'technical section' hasn't really progressed in 12 months. That suggests two things: there isn't really a demand for it, and no one has got the time to write it anyway. Most of the info for newbies is already freely available, it just needs collating and bringing together, and there most definitely is a demand for it.

Start with the simple stuff that's easy to produce and has the most pressing need.

We had the simple stuff in the old site...should be still there and re-addable.

As for this not being useful or progressing. Yes it is! But it takes time to a) have the problems and b) get good enough technical feedback to make something useful of it.

Newbie's need to be pointed at the Search button! :rtfm:

The information may still be there but it needed badly updating when I was moderating. I assume that's still the case. Anyhow, how do you actually access it? Could a newbie easily find it?

And as for the search button, well why bother with the technical section then? You can find most technical answers via searching too.

If you want content in there I suggest you try finding the information, writing an FAQ and posting it. Instead of saying it's rubbish cause it doesn't have x or y.

This section is useless if you just sit there demanding to be spoon fed....you only get out what you put in.

Hold on there - I've been there. I've tried to sort this section out. The apathy displayed was enough to make me resign.

What concerns me is that nothing has been learnt. I said I was going to resign because no one was interested in progressing anything in the club. Nothing happened, no one made any more effort, so I resigned. Since then there's been no further progress. So when someone resigns through lack of progress I was expecting some change in attitude along the lines of 'Perhaps we'd better do something about this problem'.

Here we are some 6 months later and this section hasn't progressed. Note that it's only very recently (2 weeks ago?) that the FAQ section was finally made a 'proper' visible forum. That was only due to my constant badgering about it, and I've been banging on about it since about last June.

Take a look in the FAQ section - who do you think moved all those threads in there and retitled them?

Sorry, but you're very wrong with regard to this issue.

No, I never said it was worthless, I said the effort was being directed into the wrong area. What has been needed on this site for over 12 months now is basic Supra advice. I don't for one second believe this technical information is worthless, I just believe that there is more to be gained from producing the really basic stuff first. It's easier to write/collate, and of relevance to far more people, as well as making the club look good + useful to new members.

Ian C has contributed a lot. Here's a PM I sent to him last year on 9 June:

Thanks for your support for the technical FAQ, I really appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Dave.

Look, let's be honest here, it doesn't affect me in the slightest what you end up doing. All I'm pointing out is that you're putting loads of effort into something when that effort could be put to far better use. What also concerns me is that this is something I've been pointing out for 9 months or so. I said then that it's gonna take too much effort and here we are 9 months later and that still appears to be the case. I started doing it but just thought 'sod this' as no one else was willing to contribute. Supragal and Mawby were busy doing other stuff, but there were other people available.

Back then there was a demand for basic Supra advice. It appears to be even greater now.

As I said...

Supragal and Mawby were busy doing other stuff, but there were other people available.

You two were never the problem. I basically thought there were four people doing 95% of the work - you two, Ian and myself. I wanted to share the effort around a bit more so that the others got involved, but that didn't happen.

Yes I saw that comment, appreciated as were your efforts. It still is a shame you resigned.

Just took that a bit personally given the amount of time I (we) spend time doing stuff for the club, it just so happens that I didn't take on the tech section as well.

Okay, you know best. BTW, I did offer via Mawby the other week to help out with it. Offer not taken up.
Not exactly what I said, more along the lines of let me make some planned changes and consult the others. Now if you look at the 'Thread Tools' menu you should see what we decided.