The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi, i'm new, i've just bought a TT.

TTRickeh

Cheers :).

I'm from Aberdeen, i'll go have a look. Is AB10 just your post code or do you work in the clothes shop? lol.

Got a price for a cambelt service, £220. If I include the belt myself it's £169, that's the only quote i've got so far but I don't know which garages to try. One of my friends recommended Japperformance in Ellon does anyone have any experience with them or another recommendation?

Trying to get 265 width tyres is proving a bit of a nightmare, masses more choice & much better prices if I go for 255's, will this be ok on the stock 17''s? I'm planning on going for Eagle F1 GSD3's should be about £240 all in for both.

Cheers,

Rick.

Wow I thought labour would have been a little more it must be a fairly straightforward job, I was estimating it'd be about £200 all in. I've got a belt that Shilakadaddy didn't get round to fitting, it says 'timing belt' on it, is that the cambelt?

Yup, you are correct.

Trying to get 265 width tyres is proving a bit of a nightmare, masses more choice & much better prices if I go for 255's, will this be ok on the stock 17''s? I'm planning on going for Eagle F1 GSD3's should be about £240 all in for both.

Cheers,

Rick.

255's should be the optimum size for the stock 17's, wish mine were £240 for the pair, I pay about that for each:rolleyes:.

Also it's good to see another member who is the same age as me, brave man having the TT first though (after a 1.2:blink:), after much deliberation I got the N/A first as I believe that you should learn how a car move and reacts before you get larger power output's and this is coming from a lad who has had and driven cars with more power aswell. But I was 20 when I got mine so a bit younger than you, but then again coolsblue is only 17.

Anyway welcome and please drive it safely.

Also, the standard traction control is a nasty piece of kit IMO, I think a few would agree your better off without it sometimes.

Edited by marc_p (see edit history)

I'm from Aberdeen, i'll go have a look. Is AB10 just your post code or do you work in the clothes shop? lol.

Got a price for a cambelt service, £220. If I include the belt myself it's £169, that's the only quote i've got so far but I don't know which garages to try. One of my friends recommended Japperformance in Ellon does anyone have any experience with them or another recommendation?

No, I don't work in the AB10 shop. :D

As for garages maybe try Wallace Performance in the Bridge of Don?

Good point I forgot about them, I live in BOD so they're just up the road, will see what they say.

That's my tyres just ordered, Goodyear Eagle F1's 255/40/17 £120 per tyre fitted tomorrow. Also bought some leather wipes, some more AutoGlym tyre dress, and AutoGlym Interior Shampoo to clean up the Recaro's a bit.

marc_p : I see where you're coming from, i've been wanting a new car for ages now after almost buying a couple in the last 2 years, just wanted to be done with it. It only goes as fast as your right foot wants it to after all. I was just thinking about the traction control earlier, it does totally sap the power. It isn't nice to not have the power when you need it.

Nic : Do you sell dash rings for the speedo/rev counter etc?

Cheers,

Rick.

marc_p : I see where you're coming from, i've been wanting a new car for ages now after almost buying a couple in the last 2 years, just wanted to be done with it. It only goes as fast as your right foot wants it to after all. I was just thinking about the traction control earlier, it does totally sap the power. It isn't nice to not have the power when you need it.

It's not that, it's the fact that if the backend twitches and you counter steer the traction control has a habit of kicking in and chucking you the other way, I beleive it has caused quite a few crashes, If I were you I would invest in a RLTC system or rip the traction control out.

Ricky I posted earlier on in this thread asking about your experience of powerful rear wheel drive cars. I'm 39 and have been driving rear wheel drive cars since I was around 18, mainly diesels to start with, so not exactly on a par with a Supra. Over the years I have driven many RWD cars in all sorts of conditions, so I'd say I have a fair amount of experience.

Getting to the point of this, 2 days ago I came around a long sweeping corner, on the straight just after the corner was a long patch of standing water on the road, (note this was a 36 degree sunny day, so completely unexpected). I had time to back off, but I wasn't exactly going slow at the time. As soon as I hit the water I aquaplaned and the back end started to come around very rapidly, instinctively I managed to correct and with a lot of steering input kept the car pointing in a straight line. I was VERY lucky not to have lost it completely and at the speed I was going it would have been messy.

I have owned my Supra for 9 years, so even with a lot of experience they can still catch you out.

Hey dude welcome to the site. Lovely Supe you have there, very clean! I like!

I'm up in Aberdeen too, haven't seen you floating about or anything, will give ya a flash and wave if I do cya! (I drive a Golf btw, no Supe til after uni for me!). :D

That's a nice car you have there mate. You're lucky to have a Supra at 21. How much is your insurance setting you back if you don't mind me asking? I'm 26 and looking for a Supra when I get back home to England so I'm curious.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

HateEvent - Which uni you at? I think you're on AberdeenCruising.com I just registered the other day. I think someone from that site might've flashed me the other day in a green civic. I like your golf it looks smart. Is it a TDI?

Kins - I know mate, very lucky. I hope it doesn't spoil the cars I have for the rest of my life considering this one is so good! Will PM you about the insurance.

Cheers,

Ricky

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

HateEvent - Which uni you at? I think you're on AberdeenCruising.com I just registered the other day. I think someone from that site might've flashed me the other day in a green civic. I like your golf it looks smart. Is it a TDI?

Kins - I know mate, very lucky. I hope it doesn't spoil the cars I have for the rest of my life considering this one is so good! Will PM you about the insurance.

Cheers,

Ricky

I'm at RGU doing Mechanical Engineering. Starting 3rd year come September :)

I do indeed post on AberdeenCruising.com. I own it ;) :D

That could well be my friend Jonny that flashed, EM1 VTi coupe?

Thanks, I like the Golf too. It's just a 1.4FSI petrol, but with the R32 kit and GTi Edition 30 front end. :)

Good man. Belt is about £80, labour £50. Not worth taking a chance.

That £80 may have been two belts actually. Been a while since I got them. :D

50 quid to do a timing belt?!! Wow that's cheap!

It's probably a good idea to replace the water pump while you're at it.

I'm at RGU doing Mechanical Engineering. Starting 3rd year come September :)

I do indeed post on AberdeenCruising.com. I own it ;) :D

That could well be my friend Jonny that flashed, EM1 VTi coupe?

Thanks, I like the Golf too. It's just a 1.4FSI petrol, but with the R32 kit and GTi Edition 30 front end. :)

Lol, I didn't realise I was in the presence of greatness!

Yeah it was a slightly older style coupe, out by the road to Potterton. I was toying with the idea of posting to come and join in on the RR day you guys had up at Japerformance today but left it a little late.

I just graduated 2 weeks ago, i'm now 'TTRickeh MA (Hons) in Economics'. You've got all the hard stuff to come then going into your honours years! :)

Lol, I didn't realise I was in the presence of greatness!

Yeah it was a slightly older style coupe, out by the road to Potterton. I was toying with the idea of posting to come and join in on the RR day you guys had up at Japerformance today but left it a little late.

I just graduated 2 weeks ago, i'm now 'TTRickeh MA (Hons) in Economics'. You've got all the hard stuff to come then going into your honours years! :)

Presence of greatness :p Haha! :D

Yeah that would've been Jonny right enough then. Nice motor he's got. :)

Yeah I missed the RR cos I was working today!

Will need to organise some sort of a meet up or something because I've met Marc(AB10) a few times and he's on AberdeenCruising too :D

Would love to have a good look at your car as it's what I'm aspiring to!

Honours, great! :| Hehe :p