The mkiv Supra Owners Club

17" vs 18"

Benyon

The way I see it, after reading most of the threads concerning this topic...

The larger diameter the wheel and the wider the tyre, the further away from original spec the geometry has to be changed. Your car, your call.

Nail on the head, the major issue being that after a certain point you are beyond the ability to dial it back in.

I'm probably speaking out of turn here, but I'm sure CW would consider seting up a set of 19/20's if they have a lot of work done to the shell to pull the pick up points in a bit, move the pivot points around... in a nutshell rebuild a whole new suspension configuration, then MAYBE he would consider them 'okay'...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My theory is here Toyota have exercised this tolerance in opting for 17's rather than the 16's

The larger diameter the wheel and the wider the tyre, the further away from original spec the geometry has to be changed. Your car, your call.

Nail on the head, the major issue being that after a certain point you are beyond the ability to dial it back in.

That was exactly my point, I just didnt expand on it further, the certain point I suspect for Toyota was 17", which means 18" is out of tolerance, so will affect handling regardless of offset

Guest TAZ 3
im Looking At Buying Some New Wheels, Is There Any Ride Difference Between 17" And 18" Alloys? Also What Would I Get For My Facelift Standard Alloys Few Scuffs And Scrape's But Not Very Bad And All 4 Decent Tyres.

Get 19" They Look Much Better

19’s look great admittedly, (wheel design and tyre choice dependant) but they are just too big IMO when looking at it from a handling and cost (tyres) point of view.

Id like some nice Jap style 18’s at some point maybe some Rota Torques or something similar with a thicker side wall and nearer stock dimensions.

I ran my current (lowered) Supra on OEM 17" wheels and Bridgestone Potenzas 225 fronts / 255 rears for a while before buying 18" wheels and Eagle F1 235 fronts / 275 rears.

After the new wheels went on, inner edge tyre wear increased a lot (previous wear was much more even) so did tramlining and also 'skipping' on manhole covers and deep surface water on motorways became more noticeable, especially as the rear tyres wore down. Straight line grip was a lot better though, probably more due to the type of tyre rather than size and width.

I had the geometry changed after about 8,000 miles after the new wheels and tyres went on. Wear became more even across the tyres, tramlining is the same, the 'skipping' has improved a lot, the grip hasnt changed as far as I'm concerned.

I'm doing around 7k miles a year, mostly commuting with the odd fast cross country jaunt or motorway cruise.

So, there you have qualified feed-back from a long term Supra owner who has gone from 17s to 18s, but has kept under 2G.

Edited by Ewen (see edit history)

Thanks for clearing that up.

I meant with the same size sidewall in one instance bigger wheels with bigger tyres and a smaller sidewall in the other.

Wider tyres won't give a bigger footprint without changing the sidewall size also (or by dropping tyre pressure)