The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric shocks from the Supra

Pete

this may or may not sound true, or just a coincidence, but my girlfriend always used to get shocks from my previous car (I did a couple of times too) until I fitted a grounding kit in the engine bay....

This seemed to cure the issue. Or a fluke? I don't know - :)

I got some new work shoes a while ago that keep generating static. I've lost count of how many times I gone into the kitchen and got a belt from picking a spoon up. I keep throwing them across the kitchen with the shock. You'd think I'd have learned by now.

Yup, it's all about the shoes. Basically if you're wearing a certain type of sole it will build up a static charge which will release when you touch something metal and give you a shock. This could be the car or anything metal like the aforementioned spoon or even a metal banister.

I have one pair of shoes that does just that - it's a pain - litterally! Luckily I don't wear them often.

An ex-girlfriend used to get so p1$$ed off when she got a shock off the car when she wore certain boots she very nearly kicked the door in frustration. Good job I was driving a Micra at the time! (I was poor and it was a long time ago!)

I wouldn't let her near the Supe if I was still with her now!!

Geeky explanation over - back to work!

Shocks are only felt if your body is charged to over about 4000V, and you touch something conductive.

If the wall or door is made of wood, concrete or some other material that has low or intermediate conductivity, any static charge on your body escapes slowly and does not cause a shock. In contrast if you touch metal, water, or another person when your body is highly charged, the charge is discharged quickly as the material is highly conductive. In this case you may feel a shock.